Motion sensing = non stop recording

Timbo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119s
I have the motion sensor turned on and my cam never stops recording in an empty garage. Just loaded the latest firmware and still have the same problem. When outside it seemed to work as a few hours passed before motion was sensed (someone walked past car) it started recording and caught part of that and then stayed on for several hours with no movement shown on the recorded video. Is this a bug or do I need to set something else? BTW I have two of these A119S's in two different vehicles and both seem to have the same problem.

why not turn the camera off when at home?

motion from the cameras perspective is not movement, it's light, if you were in a darker environment and there is a flashing light inside the vehicle like some have for the immobiliser warning light or whatever that can keep the camera running continuously

It's not a big deal in the garage, but when I'm parked outside I'd like to have some security. Motion detection is one of the features that lured me into this dashcam. The only light in my car is the anti-theft flashing LED on the dash. I will cover it tonight and see where that gets me.

The only light in my car is the anti-theft flashing LED on the dash. I will cover it tonight and see where that gets me.

that's the type of light I meant, in a dark environment that can be enough to trigger motion recording, during the day the camera won't pick that up as everything outside is way brighter

Still recording hours of pitch blackness. My outside car records hours with no motion observed on the video. I guess I should just turn off motion sensing altogether. It would be nice if there was a setting to adjust sensitivity added to reduce unnecessary recording.

Still recording hours of pitch blackness. My outside car records hours with no motion observed on the video. I guess I should just turn off motion sensing altogether. It would be nice if there was a setting to adjust sensitivity added to reduce unnecessary recording.
I'm not currently a user of motion detection but did some testing at home and found the A119S Motion Detect to be working. However, the trigger is so sensitive that it causes the camera to record continuously much of the time. The A119S sensitivity was much higher than that of the A119 {Edit: I should note that the A119 had a CPL filter on it when tested}. The post here implies that @viofo is upgrading the firmware to adjust the trigger sensitivity of the A119 and subsequently the A119S. The Beta Test version (V3.1B) of the new A119 firmware (not A119S) is out and being discussed in this thread - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-parking-mode-new-beta-feature.29382/#post-342645. I agree with @Timbo that a Motion Detection trigger sensitivity adjustment in the Menu of settings would make a nice enhancement. It has probably been suggested before. Different users will have different background environments. It's a trade-off between false triggers and detection capability. Too many false triggers or inadequate detection will frustrate users into not liking or using this capability. Let the user set the trigger sensitivity that best meets his needs.

Last edited:
It's not a big deal in the garage, but when I'm parked outside I'd like to have some security. Motion detection is one of the features that lured me into this dashcam. The only light in my car is the anti-theft flashing LED on the dash. I will cover it tonight and see where that gets me.
that's the type of light I meant, in a dark environment that can be enough to trigger motion recording, during the day the camera won't pick that up as everything outside is way brighter
Both statements are correct. I can confirm that the flashing led and light in the dark are detected as movements.

Back