MSD card sizes?

Das*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Plus Duo 2K
So I notice that the A119 mini allows up to 512gb cards but the my A129 plus duo is only rated at 256GB. What happens f I was to put a 512GB card in my A129? I have hardwired my A129 and has started using the parking mode so want extra space.

It might work still, some brands have tested and gotten 512 and even 1 TB cards to work, but it is entirely unofficial of course.

Back in the day when only 32 Gb was supported, and pretty much also all a regular earning person could afford, well often you could force format ( on PC with a program ) a 64 GB card to be FAT 32 and so work in 32 GB cameras at the time.

Normally a PC / windows will want to format a memory card >32 GB to the Ext FAT file system and not FAT 32, so a trick like that might also be needed with a camera that only support 256GB, but i am guessing here.

256GB is a fine size, with the little i drive a week my footage on full 256GB cards go back 15-16 days.

I will probably soon buy my first 512 GB memory card to test with, but i need to run my 256 GB cards thru a few new hardware cameras to narrow down which brand / model to put my money on.

A 512 GB card today can be had for the price of a 64 GB card in the old days,,,,, the one benefit of getting older / time passing.

I was using a 200GB card in my A119v3 when it was still only rated for 128GB so I think it'll be okay... If the camera can't format it for some reason, you can use a FAT32 formatting utility to do so (Or do it in Linux, a Mac, or an older version of Windows) and the camera should then be able to use it. Standard FAT32 implementations have a limit of ~2TB so I'd expect anything 2TB or less to work unless there's some extra limitation added.

Even newer versions of Windows, which have been artificially castrated to only format FAT32 up to 32GB, can read and write to FAT32 volumes upt to 2TB.

So I notice that the A119 mini allows up to 512gb cards but the my A129 plus duo is only rated at 256GB. What happens f I was to put a 512GB card in my A129? I have hardwired my A129 and has started using the parking mode so want extra space.
A129Plus cannot support a 512GB card. If you insert a 512GB card into it, it will not start to record and always remind you to format the card.

I was using a 200GB card in my A119v3 when it was still only rated for 128GB so I think it'll be okay... If the camera can't format it for some reason, you can use a FAT32 formatting utility to do so (Or do it in Linux, a Mac, or an older version of Windows) and the camera should then be able to use it. Standard FAT32 implementations have a limit of ~2TB so I'd expect anything 2TB or less to work unless there's some extra limitation added.

Even newer versions of Windows, which have been artificially castrated to only format FAT32 up to 32GB, can read and write to FAT32 volumes upt to 2TB.
The A119V3 can support 256GB card at most, not 128GB.

I have a DVR that is over 10 years old and it supports memory cards up to 32GB.
You can put a 64GB and 128GB memory card into it and the DVR will work and record without problems,
BUT it uses only 32GB on the memory card. :unsure:

Last edited:
Weird! But there it is from the horse's mouth!

Back