Multiple gaps in my video footage.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wondering why I have so many gaps in my clips. I noticed as I was driving, the record light was off, then when Id look back it be recording again. In one clip, there was no GPS info until about 7 min in to the clip. Then another file I opened in Registrator Viewer had several gaps and lapses in video and GPS info. Also, in the menu, what is "WDR?"
Im guessing its a GPS signal issue and the fact that I have the motion detection set to "on."

Just to be clear for everyone else this is for the SG9665GC (Street Guardian has multiple products)

Gaps are to be expected if you have motion set to on. Try setting motion to off and confirm you have continuous recordings.

How and where is the GPS installed? Do you have the GPS emblem facing the sky? Is it far enough away from the CMOS/lens?

WDR is wide dynamic range. It will let you read license plates better etc in low light conditions.

Last edited:
I had gaps in my GPS info on a different brand and model camera when the GPS was to close to the camera. you might think it is far enough apart, but at least with the other brand camera I worked with it had to be in the very corner of my windscreen with my camera under my mirror to work correctly.

the cable is as long as it is for a reason, getting them further apart does improve the performance

The GPS module is in the far right bottom corner of my windshield facing upward. The cam is right next to the mirror. Ill set the motion dect to the "off" position. Question though, if I have a continuous power supply,my cigarette lighter is continuous regardless of key in off or on position, should I unplug the power supply when Im not driving? Will I need to manually start the recording each time I get in my truck?

Unplugging works, but the DashCam will automatically start recording as soon as power is supplied. No manual intervention is needed.

You have a few other power options.

You can rewire your cigarette lighter port's power source to be switched so the power is cut when the engine is off. (In the fuse box)

You could install a battery discharge prevention BDP hardwire Kit such as the PANOBDP motopark which includes its own female cigarette lighter port.

You could install a mini USB hard wire power kit which is coming soon via Street Guardian.

Last edited:
Yeh, I would like to rewire it for power off/key off. So if I set motion to off, it will always record regardless of having GPS info? Im really concerned though, this wasn't just a few spots in the video. This was a 35 min drive with an upwards of 30% of the video lacking GPS info. Ill keep fooling with it and learn its idiosyncrasies.

There have been a fjew guys witch had not pushed the jack on the GPS far enuff into the socket, but i think ther problem was no GPS at all.
A single case of bad soldering on the GPS wires at the antenna have allso been reported.

But have no fear the Brand and the seller should take good care of you :)

I have spare GPS cables and can send one if you exhaust troubleshooting and think the current one has an intermittent issue. Let me know.

Yeh, I would like to rewire it for power off/key off. So if I set motion to off, it will always record regardless of having GPS info? Im really concerned though, this wasn't just a few spots in the video. This was a 35 min drive with an upwards of 30% of the video lacking GPS info. Ill keep fooling with it and learn its idiosyncrasies.

that's more than an idiosyncrasy, will ask Jon from @Pier28 to send you out a replacement GPS

I have one question. I live near the state line and like clockwork I lose cell signal right as I cross the state line. I noticed the other cam I had for work, the gz12, stopped recording as I went across the state line. GPS should be universal in reception? Correct? Just a coincidence?

I have one question. I live near the state line and like clockwork I lose cell signal right as I cross the state line. I noticed the other cam I had for work, the gz12, stopped recording as I went across the state line. GPS should be universal in reception? Correct? Just a coincidence?

coincidence I would think, consumer GPS signals sometime get manipulated around military installations, that won't affect recording though

coincidence I would think, consumer GPS signals sometime get manipulated around military installations, that won't affect recording though

Every time I go to the VA Hospital (Veterans Affairs) for my medical appointments, the GPS location is suddenly way off on my iPhone.

Every time I go to the VA Hospital (Veterans Affairs) for my medical appointments, the GPS location is suddenly way off on my iPhone.

I believe when things like this happen you're meant to say 'Thanks Obama" in your best sighing tone

DARPA is working hard on somthing to replace the jammeable and somt times blind spot GPS, and knowing those boys they will proberly come up with somthing cool.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2902...-alternative-positiontracking-technology.html

And as i posted the above link i just heard the X files melody from my tv behind me :eek:

If they will share i will like to allready now say thank you to the American tax payer.

Well, if you lose GPS, do you not lose the ability for the cam to tell if its moving?? Thus shutting down the cam?

Back