My Review of the Model 57

Gary E

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Garmin 56 (2)
Over the past few years, I have utilized two model 55's (front and rear facing), two model 56's (front and rear facing), and over the last month have been using one forward facing model 57 (while continuing to use one rear facing model 56).

The vehicle is a Ford Raptor 4x4 pickup. Both front and rear cams are mounted to the glass with the front unit just left of the rearview mirror.

I have not evaluated night driving performance of the 57 as I rarely drive at night except in the winter months, and then only a little.

Some features of the cam I do not use: Drivier Assist, Garmin Drive App, all features associated with smart phones (Wi-Fi Network, Vault Storage, Mutiple Camera Network, etc.) as I do not use a smart phone;, flip phone only.

Model 57 Positives (compared to the Model 56)
1. Quick start up.
2. Quick GPS lock
3. Side button shape - larger

Model 57 Negatives
1. Parking Guard - It does not work well. The sensitivty is set to "High". I had to slam the drivers door HARD to get it to activate. Pounding HARD on the windshield and drivers door with my fist did NOT activate it. Hitting the side mirror assembly so that it is dislodged forward from it preset position did not activiate the cam. And snapping mirror assembly back into its preset position did NOT activate the cam. Slamming the hood (on a truck = heavy) did NOT activate the cam. Thumping the bottom of the cam with my index finger released from my thumb with force DID activate the cam. Significantly rocking the the truck did NOT activate the cam. I did not try to hit the body work with my fist as a test as I didn't want to put a dent in it (newer vehicles= thin bodywork)
2. No parking mode like in the Model 56 - If there is one (like the manual says on page 22), it's not working. I have Garmin parking mode cables (2) installed and they work fine with the Model 56.
3. Turning cam off not convenient - In the garage, after I shut off the truck, if I miss the brief notice at the bottom of the screen to turn off the cam (which I usually do), I have to wait until the Parking Guard feature activates and disappears from the screen before I can then push the cam off button. It kind of negates the postive feature of the quick startup. The Model 56 has slow startup, but quick turn off.

Conclusion
For the features I use on the cams, I have removed the Model 57 and re-installed the Model 56, mainly as a result of the Parking Mode feature.

My Garmin Dash Cam wish list
Model 57
1. Quick startup
2. Quick GPS lock
3. Side button shape

Model 56
1. Parking Mode
2. Quick shutdown

Last edited:
I utilized two model 55's and never had any issues with them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lacibaci Dash Cam 47 / 57 / 67W 25
Back