Need help determining if Black Box G1W is fake.

FreeThinking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I need help determining if my Black Box G1W from Amazon is fake.
A little information about my unit:
- Records in .MOV
- Data Rate:11877kpbs
- Total Bit Rate: 12389kpbs
- 30FPS
- Camera DOES have HDMI port

I have not updated the firmware. Will that affect video quality, battery life,. etc.?

The reason I believe this a possible fake is because the video quality of my recorded videos seem to be blurry/grainy. I've seen other youtube videos of this unit and the quality just appears to be much sharper.
Maybe it's just me and my expectations are too high. I have a test clip of my unit so you can judge for yourself.
The video is a bit shaky(Possible this could be the culprit? + dirty windshield?)

I've tried disassembling my unit to check the processor, but the battery is in the way of the last screw so I do not have enough clearance to remove it. Is the battery glued on? and is it removable if so? I really want to check to see if it is the right processor, but also don't want to break anything. The tab on the cheap mount already broke.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

A little information about my unit:
- Records in .MOV
- Data Rate:11877kpbs
- Total Bit Rate: 12389kpbs
- 30FPS
- Camera DOES have HDMI port
These are all signs of a real unit.

I have not updated the firmware. Will that affect video quality, battery life,. etc.?
Updating to a different firmware can raise the bitrate a little bit (15MB), but not all real G1Ws are created equal. If this is your only camera I would leave it alone. If you have more then one and or are adventurous you can look in the fallowing thread for firmware here.
I can not stress enough that this is a do at your own risk deal. I have flashed my eStore009 G1W a few dozen times without issue as you will see by the pictures in the thread.

It seems like your mount seems a little shaky in the video. You could give the rear view mirror mount a try to see if it helps.

There have been G1Ws that have been blurry on one side as well. It's mentioned in the FAQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all signs of a real unit.

Updating to a different firmware can raise the bitrate a little bit (15MB), but not all real G1Ws are created equal. If this is your only camera I would leave it alone. If you have more then one and or are adventurous you can look in the fallowing thread for firmware here.
I can not stress enough that this is a do at your own risk deal. I have flashed my eStore009 G1W a few dozen times without issue as you will see by the pictures in the thread.

It seems like your mount seems a little shaky in the video. You could give the rear view mirror mount a try to see if it helps.

There have been G1Ws that have been blurry on one side as well. It's mentioned in the FAQ.

Yeah, I understand that those are all signs of a genuine unit...which is why I thought it was odd. But I agree, just looking at it more and more is telling me that it's a vibration issue. I will try recording under more stable conditions. I may try to flash this unit in the future. Thanks for the reply.

Do you happen to know if the battery is glued on/removable? I would really like to make sure I have a NT96650 chip, unless having the video being recorded at .MOV, HDMI port, 12k bit rate, 30fps,.etc. determines that it is a genuine product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you happen to know if the battery is glued on/removable?
I have not opened my own up, but I am pretty sure it is not removable unless you cut some wires. I could be mistaken though as I am only going on what I recall from others mentioning.

I would really like to make sure I have a NT96650 chip, unless having the video being recorded at .MOV, HDMI port, 12k bit rate, 30fps,.etc. determines that it is a genuine product.
It does and you do.
the cheap version only records in AVI format
This.
If you had a cheap one you would know it right away. The lower end version is horrible.

Back