New 70Mai A810 (Starvis 2 IMX678, 4K HDR, 60 FPS, Novatek NT98529BG, 150° POV)

Mgz

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Dash Cam
Seezeus RX300 , Matego 380G, DDPai Mini2, 70Mai Pro
Recently I saw the Vietnamese distributor of 70mai was selling the new A810 with the new RC12 Rear Camera. The form factor is more or less the same with A800S, with the following improvement:

Technical specification of A810​

• Resolution: 3840×2160p (4K) HDR
  • Sensor: Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678
  • CPU: Novatek NT98529BG , dual Cortex A9 1GHz
  • Framerate: 60FPS*1080P/30 FPS
  • Field of view angle: 150°
  • Channel: 2 (+1 rear 1080P HDR RC12 or 1080P IR internal)
  • MicroSD card: U3(UHS-3) or above
  • Type C USB connection

1679627008779.png

For some reason they decided to save a few cents by reduced from dual channel 2.4 GHz/5GHz 2T2R (max 300Mbps) into single channel 2.4 GHz 1T1R RTL8723DS (150 Mbps) :sneaky:

1679627152656.png -> 1679627634081.png

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Yeah I've been eyeballing it, particularly to see how it stacks up to the A139 Pro.

Looks like the Viofo offers up to 3CH, has 5 GHz WiFi, uses a capacitor instead of a Li-Ion battery, has a faster f/1.6 aperture front lens, and offers buffered parking recording. The A810 has an LCD on the back. Is there anything else we're missing?

It's possible that the A810 will wind up being a more affordable solution, but based on the specs I've seen so far, it looks like the A139 Pro is looking like the superior option.

I like to see systems on the smaller sensors too, the 1080p one, it is 4 micron pixels as i recall so even larger than the IMX 678 which as i recall are 3 micron pixels.
My mind are more circling on if it would take some " special " SOC to really unleash the powers of the starvis 2 sensors, or they are just like every new generation in the past decade just a baby step.

Still very much like to sample a starvis 2 system, but its not on the horizon for me.

WIFI speeds are of no interest for me personally, as long as i can do settings on big phone screen i am fine, always put memory card in PC card reader.

A810: no capacitor, no 5G
A139P: no screen
In terms of CPU, the CPU of A139P is too old, although it is 4xA53, while the CPU of A810 is newer, 2xA9, but nowadays IPC chips, CPU freq is not the deciding factor, it depends on the efficiency of encoder and NN capability.
So that's why many people are giving feedback that the A139P has serious heat problems. A810 at least no one said it would stop recording or die because of heat.
Viofo's case molds are all very rough, making the product look like a toy. Also Viofo's firmware really has a lot of problems.

Neither solution is perfect, I will wait

Anybody know when this one will be available? My Googling has been fruitless. I really would love to try the new starvis 2. But not having a built in screen is an instant deal breaker for me. This one checks that box though.

For sure i also prefer a camera with a screen, well at least as long as that screen are not huge and so make the camera itself huge too, like seen at least some times with some Korean dashcams.
The screen on the A800S from 70mai are fine, the reallt small dashcam screens, well to read those i need my reading glasses.

Yeah definitely can't do the tiny screens where I have to squint to see anything. But also don't need a tablet in my windshield lol.

I love the form factor of this one. I have no experience with this brand yet though. So far I've only had some Viofo's, who I have now written off permanently from many issues with both different units. Really wanting to give this one a shot. I wish they offered a release window with the press release, the few news articles I've seen talking about this new unit mention nothing.

The two 70 mai cameras i am testing ATM, so far i have just found one bad thing, and that is they do not come with a CPL filter, all dashcams should come with a CPL filter.

There also seem to be a language issue judging from reading this forum, so for a Chinese market camera you can not put on a English language firmware, that seem odd to me.

The two 70 mai cameras i am testing ATM, so far i have just found one bad thing, and that is they do not come with a CPL filter, all dashcams should come with a CPL filter.

There also seem to be a language issue judging from reading this forum, so for a Chinese market camera you can not put on a English language firmware, that seem odd to me.
Yeah, I agree, I much prefer the CPL filter, I used them on all my cams in the past. I wonder if there is a way to modify one to fit. I am handy with a 3d printer lol.

That 2nd issue is also a problem, I guess once i actually find a US distributor, I will buy one. Good to know to avoid a model from a non English country.

They purposely do that to avoid black market issue. This was confirmed by the folks in 4pda.

70mai.store is where you want to be heading. Sign up with your email and get in on the presale by early august. I am going to take a punt on one at that price.

anyone know anything on what the rear camera is like as needing my 1st Dashcam and want 2ch after having someone drive into the back of me and claiming it was my fault. Would have been useful for that accident :)

I'm guessing no, as it says Battery 500mAh; There aren't many supercaps that can hold that sort of energy, not small enough to fit in a dashcam anyway!

hi, i wonder what the purpose of the battery? is help to keep recording more minutes after car stopped? or for other reasons !

The internal battery or capacitors, they are just there to be able to finalize the current recording in case of a violent event where power might get cut.
If they was not there and the power suddenly cut, there is a large chance of that last and most important file with the event on get corrupted.

The downside with the batteries is they are more volatile towards heat / cold than the capacitors are, so often you will sooner or later see batteries swell up and die,,,,, and most important this death of the battery could be fire.
Just look at youtube for Lipo battery + fire

I would not be able to recommend a person living in the fine country of Morocco to get a battery based camera, it is simply too hot where you live.

The internal battery or capacitors, they are just there to be able to finalize the current recording in case of a violent event where power might get cut.
If they was not there and the power suddenly cut, there is a large chance of that last and most important file with the event on get corrupted.

The downside with the batteries is they are more volatile towards heat / cold than the capacitors are, so often you will sooner or later see batteries swell up and die,,,,, and most important this death of the battery could be fire.
Just look at youtube for Lipo battery + fire

I would not be able to recommend a person living in the fine country of Morocco to get a battery based camera, it is simply too hot where you live.
Thank you,
You're right; In the south of Morocco, temperatures often soar past 45°c during the summer ; sure that the temperature will reach +70° in the car habitacle.
all the products marketed here have batteries, not capacitors instead.

all the products marketed here have batteries, not capacitors instead.
A battery is going to have a life of about 1 year in those temperatures, a super capacitor will probably last 10 years. The batteries are not designed to be replaceable.

Reactions: mkh
my-11134207-7qul4-ljs4nqvzhxee0f.jpeg
Those in Malaysia are quite lucky because those purchasing in Malaysia, will get 3 years warranty. Not sure if the warranty is indeed set by 70mai, or the seller itself (70mai official store in Malaysia is handled by DASHER).

Not forgot to mention, the A810 are also compatible with the 4G Hardwire kit (a.k.a. UP04), however the 4G functions only available in October via future firmware update.

Also, I can confirm that the rear cam is also compatible with RC06, RC09 and the interior cam FC02 is also supported.

Important!
For RC04 and RC05, rear cam is also supported but requires some changes to made it compatible.

A. Modifying power cable method

1. if hardwired/not hardwired, one can use this angled USB C connector. When connected, make sure the USB C female port facing backwards.
my-11134103-23010-0qwg6l7d2vlv15.jpg

2. if not hardwired, can also use any angled USB C cable. one example is this one.
my-11134103-7qukw-lgmelhgz4tfa0e.jpg

B. Modifying rear cam connector method

1. The rear cable connector to cam which are bundled with RC05 (angled down), can be replaced by the rear connector of RC06/RC09 type (angled up).
6b9b6bfe5f668c36be8c46b0162b83e0.jpegd17c3ce78241816def060cdc14bfe22b.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, I can confirm that the rear cam is also compatible with RC04, RC05, RC06, RC09 and the interior cam FC02 is also supported.
Are you sure the A810 is compatible with RC05 and RC04 cameras? In these cameras, the connector is turned the other way and you will not be able to connect the power cable...

Back