New Firmware failed, Camera stops/starts/stops/starts.......

ajw1100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Now Viofo 119S. Was Mobius Action Cam
Camera was working using 1.01 FW. Updated to 1.2. Copied the bin file to the sd card after formatting it in the camera with power from my phone charger. This combo worked fine before with FW1.01.
Waited for the camera to update, flashing red record button and flashing green on/off button.
Once the camera finished updating and showed it was recording on the screen I entered the setup and changed as needed and pressing Menu to return to recording mode.
I noticed horizontal lines across the screen and what looked like a heavier green line mid point on screen, then the camera rebooted itself. The screen showed for 7 seconds, went black then the camera rebooted again, this then repeated itself every 7 seconds.
I would go back to 1.01 but the dropbox link in another post is no longer working.

Any suggestions?

No, just formatted the card, copied the bin file over and inserted it in the camera.
Thanks for your help!

Try running the update again, if it loads up fine go into the menu and reset default settings before doing anything else

I have downloaded the FW twice and tried both with the same result.
I will do as you suggest, will you be around for the next 5 minutes! ?

Hmmm, Formatted in the camera, removed after 'Please Wait' message disappeared. Put card in PC and the DCIM folder was still showing, there was one short video in it, I played it and heard an electronic hum. The format did not remove this folder and I have tried it twice.

If you format the card and exit the menu it will recreate the folder, if you want it completely blank format the card and once it has finished unplug the power and then remove the card

If it still has anything on it when you check then the card may have an issue

Okay, formatted the card, copied the Bin file across, waited until the camera started and reset default settings. Camera started to record but a 7 seconds stopped and rebooted.
The card was perfect this morning until I copied the new FW to it, I now don't know what to do.

The card is a Samsung EVO 64 GB. supplied by and from Amazon.
The Power supply is a Phone Charger, 5.3v 2.0A.

Both of which I have used for this camera without a problem for 2 months.
The only thing thats changed is the FW update today.

Do you have any other memory card you can test with?

Does it still restart if using the supplied cig power adaptor and the long cable?

HATE to say it but the Toshiba seems to be working fine with 1.2 FW, recorded 3.20seconds without a problem!

Looks like the Samsung may be faulty, why it chose to do so at the exact time of the FW update is a mystery. I will try it with other progs and files to see if works with them and try it back in the camera later.

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Alan.

Download the sdformatter software and do a full format which will put the card back to default settings, then format it in the camera and see how you go

Thanks Jokiin, I have the sdformatter software but had forgotten I had it! Will do the format this afternoon. Hopefully get back to 64GB, 16 is a bit small.

:)
Update.
Formatted the 64GB Samsung EVO using sdformatter, took some time as I used overwrite setting. Copied the FW1.2 bin file to the card and inserted it into the camera. Message appeared to please format the card, so assume the camera did not like the formatted 'format'. However I did not see any option to change the format 'type' in sdformatter. Is there a way?
Formatted in the camera and once again copied the bin file across on the PC.
Inserted back into the camera and low and behold it booted up fine, after 30 seconds recording without a hitch I was then happy to adjust the settings. Then unplugged and re-plugged the power, the camera started recording fine again.

I can only assume that on the first install of FW1.2 something on the card got corrupted, which was not cleared on the in camera format.

My grateful thanks to Jokiin for his advise in getting this sorted. :):)

Hmmm, Formatted in the camera, removed after 'Please Wait' message disappeared. Put card in PC and the DCIM folder was still showing, there was one short video in it, I played it and heard an electronic hum. The format did not remove this folder and I have tried it twice.
When you remove the memory card from the A119S, are you shutting it down first or simply taking the card out?

:)
Update.
Formatted the 64GB Samsung EVO using sdformatter, took some time as I used overwrite setting. Copied the FW1.2 bin file to the card and inserted it into the camera. Message appeared to please format the card, so assume the camera did not like the formatted 'format'. However I did not see any option to change the format 'type' in sdformatter. Is there a way?

the idea wasn't to change any setting using SDformatter but rather to the return the card to its factory fresh default parameters, it's not what the camera will work with but once you have it at default settings you can then let the camera look after the formatting, if the format isn't something the camera can deal with and has an incorrect cluster size or whatever from a different formatting routine then you can have issues even after what looks like successful formatting in the camera

the firmware update you could have completed using your 16gb card

Back