Nextbase 522GW

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought one of these + rear-view camera which plugs into the front camera. I haven't installed it yet, as I'm waiting until we have delivery of a new car.
I was wondering whether anyone has reviewed these, as I can see nothing here over the past couple of years, not that it matters as I have already purchased it!
For now, I shall continue using my Mobius cameras, but will post recordings of worth as and when they happen.

Which? has reviewed these, although I don't have great confidence in their conclusions. Not least because they make no reference to this site, and there are real objective issues identified here that they do not address. My impression is that the quality of Which? reports has dropped over recent years with the trend emphasizing journalism over technical understanding. But it is at least worth a look if you are a member.

I used to subscribe to Which?, but gave up several years ago and was never particularly happy with their reviews. I have, however, read a number of good reviews of the Nextbase cameras in several places on the internet. I went for the 522GW because it is the best that they offer for several reasons, other than the top of the range 622GW, which I decided to avoid because it is approaching double the price of the one I bought. I have yet to try it out, of course, but I'm sure it will perform to the level I expect.
One of the advantages which attracted me is that it can be easily and quickly removed from the mount (and re-attached) without having to bother with unplugging cables, etc., so as to avoid leaving it in the car when parked, as I'd worry about someone breaking in to nick it!

My first post on here (just joined to find an alternative to my 522GW). It's my first dashcam. Had it 18 months and totally useless! It forgets the date and time, does not protect recordings, GPS doesn't work, and loses connection with my phone every single time I try to download anything.
Throwing in the towel and on the search for a non Nextbase dashcam.

My first post on here (just joined to find an alternative to my 522GW). It's my first dashcam. Had it 18 months and totally useless! It forgets the date and time, does not protect recordings, GPS doesn't work, and loses connection with my phone every single time I try to download anything.
Throwing in the towel and on the search for a non Nextbase dashcam.
That's a bit worrying. Out of warranty now, I suppose?
Have you asked the seller or manufacturer for advice?

That's a bit worrying. Out of warranty now, I suppose?
Have you asked the seller or manufacturer for advice?
I'll be honest I have not, but I can see all their generic copy / paste support posts on here, which I've been through multiple times.
I've established tonight the battery is dead and doesn't charge, which isn't going to help, but with the rear facing camera, I've read they cannot handle the power draw. My camera has always got hot from new. GPS, I suspect is the windscreen... But the terrible app and connectivity has always been an issue. I'll try replacing the battery... But I'm looking for an alternative.

I'll be honest I have not, but I can see all their generic copy / paste support posts on here, which I've been through multiple times.
I've established tonight the battery is dead and doesn't charge, which isn't going to help, but with the rear facing camera, I've read they cannot handle the power draw. My camera has always got hot from new. GPS, I suspect is the windscreen... But the terrible app and connectivity has always been an issue. I'll try replacing the battery... But I'm looking for an alternative.
Regardless of the length of the warranty, I'd have thought that the battery being unable to charge might be a fault of some sort. In your place, I'd contact the manufacturer or seller to ask politely for advice. Certainly, the manufacturer would be the most likely to be of help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vortex Radar Dash Cam Reviews 1
Paul Iddon Dash Cam Reviews 1
Paul Iddon Dash Cam Reviews 14
Paul Iddon Dash Cam Reviews 37
Back