Pleasant Problem. Decision?

antonispgs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people, and thank you so much for the abundance of information available here. I feel wiser in just a couple of days, while not even knowing before there is such a niche market for dashcams and the like.
So, now I have a very weird but pleasant problem to solve.
While discussing the possibility of buying a dashcam to record the road trip my girlfriend and I will take between northern Sweden and Norway fjords, I mentioned to her that I am very enthusiastic about buying and using the gopro hero session.
But then I discovered this forum and after some research, I figured the gopro is not the best for that purpose, especially in low light conditions, which will be prevalent during the Nordic winter.
HOWEVER, she had already gone ahead and ordered it online for me without telling me, before I told her I found other alternatives.
Should i just keep it and use it as a dashcam during the trip, or should I return everything and go with something else? Is it worth the hassle, if I am gonna be using the dashcam for just this one trip on a rental car?

For rental car you need some dascham with suction mount. For low light conditions look for dashcam with Sony sensor and good polished firmware ( not all sony sensor dashcam are fully polished for good night performance ). GoPro is good versatile action cam, but not sure how good it is for night and low light driving recordings compare to dedicated daschams which are built for purpose.
I guess at home ( in UK ) you do own car, right ? Do you have dascham in that car ? If not, then I would recommend to buy dedicated reliable dashcam for your trip which you may later use in your own car.

No, I don't own a car in the UK. I saw there are some thin films that you can put on the windscreen and then mount a dashcam with M3 tape. I really like the Street Guardian v2 but it is even more pricey than the GoPro. Do you know if there is a chance it will be on discount on Cyber Monday or something?
The thing is I don't really have much use for the GoPro otherwise either. But i would want the trip filmed somehow as the landscapes are really unique.
I might go with the Yi car cam eventually which is budget friendly and if i ever go back to my country, I could use it as a dash cam on my car.

Yes, I do have in stock special transparent film to use 3M mounts in rental cars.
Send me a PM (start conversation) and we can discuss things further.

Back