Power cable extension?

Micks_address

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks,
My double din installer hard wired my power cable to back of radio, ran over under glove box then up a pillar and across over roof lining. All good only the cable came up 30 centimeters short. The cable powers up the camera etc. To lengthen the cable I bought a 30 centimeter micro usb B cable extension.. Perfect length but no power to the camera. I'm wondering if maybe I need a micro usb A cable or is there some other reason the power won't pass to the camera.
Thanks
Mick

So the original short cable powers the camera Ok but with the extension, it doesnt? So either bad extension cable or too much voltage drop with the original cable + extension. These are the two options I can think of. You could try the cigarette lighter adapter that came with the camera with the extension cable just to prove the extension is good or not.

ill try the extension cable tonight with the cig charger... my guess is the pins on the usb extension dont match the existing usb.. the extension is only 30 cm so very short..

if i was to splice open the existing cable i assume there are just power cables in there? maybe two wires so could in theory put an extension in there... im half thinking to cut a length off the cig charger cable and splice into hard wired cable?
Cheers,
Mick

im half thinking to cut a length off the cig charger cable and splice into hard wired cable?

If it were me, I wouldn't wreck a good charger / cable setup just to get some wire. Get some suitable cable from an electronic shop if you can.

quick update - i checked the extension with the cig charger last night and its working fine.. tried the hard wired cable without and not getting power so its an issue with either the way its wired or the cable itself... do the hard wire cables tend to fail?

Update.. Back today with my radio installer... The usb extension wasn't giving a solid connection so we cut the cig charge and used that for extension. Connected red and black wires and used heat seals on all.. Hey presto working camera... Now to figure out how to get best from it..

hi folks,
strange happenings this moring.. it was cold... freezing and when i powered on car.. the camera wasnt receiving power.... or didnt seem like it was charging.. it seemed to try and power on several times on my 40 minute journey... but didnt look like it was getting power.... i'll see what its like on the way home this evening

maybe it was the cold... brought the camera in last night and flashed nigels firmware and worked perfectly this morning...

Getting frustrated with the camera now.. In a boot loop of sorts this morning again.. Power on low battery message then not charging then power off.. Power on again minute later.. I'm not sure if it's a wiring problem or camera problem..
The power when working also cuts when cars auto stop kicks in.. Just no consistency

Back