Really tired of the problems with this junk.

k9x9

Reaction score
Country
United States
We own three Viofo A139 3-cam setups and have had problems to varying degrees with all of them. All 3 setups are hardwired. The first was purchased 11/2021 and is installed in my truck. It has been the least problematic of the bunch with less than 5 failures to record (device never starts recording) and less than 5 freezes (unit won't respond to button presses at all). The second was purchased 7/2022 and is installed in my elderly mother's vehicle. Hers has had about a dozen failures to record (I know this because she texts or calls me every time.) and at least a few freezes. I don't have an accurate count on the freezes because she only knows about it when she hits the remote or tries to connect the wifi to view videos on her phones. She never changes settings, etc. The third setup was purchased 10/2022 and is installed in my wife's car. This one has been an absolute nightmare and has me 99.9% convinced to abandon the brand.

For the first few months setup #3 ran fine. Then it started having the same failures to start and freezes as the other units. As time went on, the failures to start and freezes became more and more frequent. Then last month it took 5-6 attempts at powering the unit off and back on just to get it responding to button presses again. Then the Bluetooth stopped working. When I tried to go into the settings, I learned the wifi had stopped working as well. After 2 days of troubleshooting, Viofo gave me an RMA and said I could sent the unit in for replacement, but shortly thereafter seemed to retract that offer as they steered me back towards more troubleshooting. At their request, I updated the firmware with one they sent and things went swiftly downhill from there. First, the camera thought there was no memory card. After several minutes it finally booted up. Initially, it detected only 2 cameras, then a full minute later it recognized the third. After the car was restarted, again it took a couple minutes for the camera to start. While driving it would randomly shut itself down and restart. The wifi and BT were working, however. We drove it that way for a few days. Then 3 trips in a row the camera failed to start recording and would not respond to button presses. At this point I asked if we could go the RMA route as was offered about 1.5 weeks prior. They said ok.

I carefully packed the camera up and shipped it out to Florida, USA as directed. A day or two later they sent me the tracking number for the replacement. The tracking number was the first time I learned the replacement would be coming from China. I was told that's where they nearly always come from. That means we would be without a camera in that car for 2 weeks. I wasn't happy about it, but it was done at that point.

The replacement came yesterday. I hooked it up and immediately had major issues. The wifi doesn't work at all nor does the BT. The startup delay is a good 30 seconds. It froze 3 times out of 4 times starting the car. While driving the Wifi randomly announces "Wifi disabled" and then later "Wifi enabled." Regardless of whether it claims it is on/off though, it doesn't work. I asked Viofo if I could try an older firmware and they sent me one to try. That made things worse. The camera announces "Wifi enabled" but the wifi light doesn't come on. The unit beeps when I hold the wifi button, but still no light. Wifi/BT still not working at all. Additionally, the camera froze on me twice within 5 minutes. Somehow the replacement unit is even worse than the original unit I sent in. This has now been dragging out for 30 days and I am beyond frustrated. Moreover, we haven't had a working dashcam in this vehicle for that entire time so if something happens (accident, etc), we're screwed. I feel like my $300 is up in smoke for nothing and I don't feel like this is ever going to be properly resolved.

Last edited:
It almost sounds like all of your malfunctions are power starvation related caused by;
1.) Defective Hardwire Kits
2.) Incorrect Hardwire Installation
3.) Vehicle Power Fluctuations (whichever fused circuit is connected to the constant power wire of the hardwire kit “red”).
4.) The first troubleshooting / diagnosis I would perform is run the cameras with the Original Included USB Power Cable & USB Charger.
They must be the Viofo ones, (take note of the AWG wire gauge written on the power cable, and the power output specification on the charger.

charger .png

I would change the firmware to the latest “public release” on the official website;
V1.7_20221215

firmware .png

I would purchase a new Viofo Brand 64GB SD Card ($26) for diagnosis / troubleshooting purposes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0C5HYBYGP
$26 .png

Side Note:
When Viofo released the A139 Pro they discovered the hardwire kit for the Original A139 caused recording malfunctions due to power starvation.
They released an “upgraded” hardwire kit just for the A139 Pro.
I tested the power output difference between the old & new “upgraded” hardwire kit.
I found the old hardwire kit was only capable of delivering 11.5 Watts.
The new hardwire kit is capable of delivering 17.5 Watts.
Maybe your “standard” A139 would benefit from the new upgraded hardwire kit.
Here is how I tested it;

Here is Ben's video on common Viofo Malfunctions;

Last edited:
We own three Viofo A139 3-cam setups and have had problems to varying degrees with all of them.
What was the temperature in the car when the device was started ? Within the operating temperature limits ?

We own three Viofo A139 3-cam setups and have had problems to varying degrees with all of them. All 3 setups are hardwired. The first was purchased 11/2021 and is installed in my truck. It has been the least problematic of the bunch with less than 5 failures to record (device never starts recording) and less than 5 freezes (unit won't respond to button presses at all). The second was purchased 7/2022 and is installed in my elderly mother's vehicle. Hers has had about a dozen failures to record (I know this because she texts or calls me every time.) and at least a few freezes. I don't have an accurate count on the freezes because she only knows about it when she hits the remote or tries to connect the wifi to view videos on her phones. She never changes settings, etc. The third setup was purchased 10/2022 and is installed in my wife's car. This one has been an absolute nightmare and has me 99.9% convinced to abandon the brand.

For the first few months setup #3 ran fine. Then it started having the same failures to start and freezes as the other units. As time went on, the failures to start and freezes became more and more frequent. Then last month it took 5-6 attempts at powering the unit off and back on just to get it responding to button presses again. Then the Bluetooth stopped working. When I tried to go into the settings, I learned the wifi had stopped working as well. After 2 days of troubleshooting, Viofo gave me an RMA and said I could sent the unit in for replacement, but shortly thereafter seemed to retract that offer as they steered me back towards more troubleshooting. At their request, I updated the firmware with one they sent and things went swiftly downhill from there. First, the camera thought there was no memory card. After several minutes it finally booted up. Initially, it detected only 2 cameras, then a full minute later it recognized the third. After the car was restarted, again it took a couple minutes for the camera to start. While driving it would randomly shut itself down and restart. The wifi and BT were working, however. We drove it that way for a few days. Then 3 trips in a row the camera failed to start recording and would not respond to button presses. At this point I asked if we could go the RMA route as was offered about 1.5 weeks prior. They said ok.

I carefully packed the camera up and shipped it out to Florida, USA as directed. A day or two later they sent me the tracking number for the replacement. The tracking number was the first time I learned the replacement would be coming from China. I was told that's where they nearly always come from. That means we would be without a camera in that car for 2 weeks. I wasn't happy about it, but it was done at that point.

The replacement came yesterday. I hooked it up and immediately had major issues. The wifi doesn't work at all nor does the BT. The startup delay is a good 30 seconds. It froze 3 times out of 4 times starting the car. While driving the Wifi randomly announces "Wifi disabled" and then later "Wifi enabled." Regardless of whether it claims it is on/off though, it doesn't work. I asked Viofo if I could try an older firmware and they sent me one to try. That made things worse. The camera announces "Wifi enabled" but the wifi light doesn't come on. The unit beeps when I hold the wifi button, but still no light. Wifi/BT still not working at all. Additionally, the camera froze on me twice within 5 minutes. Somehow the replacement unit is even worse than the original unit I sent in. This has now been dragging out for 30 days and I am beyond frustrated. Moreover, we haven't had a working dashcam in this vehicle for that entire time so if something happens (accident, etc), we're screwed. I feel like my $300 is up in smoke for nothing and I don't feel like this is ever going to be properly resolved.
It seems that you have opened a ticket to get help already, shall we have your ticket number so we can check this for you?

It almost sounds like all of your malfunctions are power starvation related caused by;
1.) Defective Hardwire Kits
2.) Incorrect Hardwire Installation
3.) Vehicle Power Fluctuations (whichever fused circuit is connected to the constant power wire of the hardwire kit “red”).
4.) The first troubleshooting / diagnosis I would perform is run the cameras with the Original Included USB Power Cable & USB Charger.
They must be the Viofo ones, (take note of the AWG wire gauge written on the power cable, and the power output specification on the charger.

1. Possible. I have no idea. They're all Viofo hardwire kits purchased at the same time as the respective cams.
2. This isn't a possibility. I have been doing installs on car audio, lights, switches, accessories, etc. for 28 years.
3. I can certainly look into this, but there wouldn't be any logical reason for this to occur suddenly after 10 months with no changes to the vehicle. It's been connected to the same circuit and nothing has been added to or removed from the vehicle.
4. I can certainly try this. I still have the Viofo socket power cord somewhere.

View attachment 67023

I would change the firmware to the latest “public release” on the official website;
V1.7_20221215

View attachment 67024

I will try that in the latest cam. I'm honestly not sure what firmware revisions they have sent me, but each time they send me one the problems only get worse. They never say what version it is and since I can't get the app connected to the cam, I can't view it in the settings.

I would purchase a new Viofo Brand 64GB SD Card ($26) for diagnosis / troubleshooting purposes.
View attachment 67025

I have an army of microSD cards here. None change the outcome in this camera. I also tried the original card in the other 2 A139s we have and no issues.

Side Note:
When Viofo released the A139 Pro they discovered the hardwire kit for the Original A139 caused recording malfunctions due to power starvation.
They released an “upgraded” hardwire kit just for the A139 Pro.
I tested the power output difference between the old & new “upgraded” hardwire kit.
I found the old hardwire kit was only capable of delivering 11.5 Watts.
The new hardwire kit is capable of delivering 17.5 Watts.
Maybe your “standard” A139 would benefit from the new upgraded hardwire kit.

This is the hardwire kit I'm running: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08TW9BBGB I have no idea if that's the "upgraded" version or not.

What was the temperature in the car when the device was started ? Within the operating temperature limits ?
This has been going on for 31 days now and happens regardless of ambient temps, but when I tested the new cam the other day it was 75F outside - well within operating temps (which Viofo lists as 149F).

Last edited:
4. I can certainly try this. I still have the Viofo socket power cord somewhere.
Can you give us an update after you try this?
If this does not fix the issue it sounds like you have exhausted all troubleshooting / diagnosis.
If so, would you be willing to remove all 3 dash cams, and try a different brand?

This is the hardwire kit I'm running: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08TW9BBGB I have no idea if that's the "upgraded" version or not.
I was checking the various HK3-C hardwire kits that I have on-hand. I found that the more recent "upgraded" units have "20AWG+24AWG" on the black USB-C cable insulation, while the older units (pre A139 Pro) only have "24AWG" on the black USB-C cable insulation. @Panzer Platform is that true of the HK3-C hardwire kits you have?

AFAIK, Viofo has been migrating to thicker AWG wires in their cables across the whole product line over the last several years.

Can you give us an update after you try this?
If this does not fix the issue it sounds like you have exhausted all troubleshooting / diagnosis.
If so, would you be willing to remove all 3 dash cams, and try a different brand?

I connected power via the Viofo socket adapter and the SSID showed up for the first time yet. I was excited, but my excitement was short-lived. Less than 1 minute in as I was trying to aim the camera with the live preview, the preview froze. I looked and the SSID had disappeared from the wifi list. I tried a hard reset and powering off/on several times, but no luck. The unit went right back to the same state it was in before. I also flashed the firmware with the latest public version, but no luck there either.

I dropped $1k on these 3 cams, so I'm not particularly eager to replace them all and eat the $1k. I'm ready to ditch the one in this car entirely though and move to a different brand and will do the same with the others if/when the problems become as severe as this one.

I was checking the various HK3-C hardwire kits that I have on-hand. I found that the more recent "upgraded" units have "20AWG+24AWG" on the black USB-C cable insulation, while the older units (pre A139 Pro) only have "24AWG" on the black USB-C cable insulation. @Panzer Platform is that true of the HK3-C hardwire kits you have?
Correct.
It appears all Viofo Hardwire kits manufactured after October 2022 (check date code sticker), have the "upgraded" thicker wires (20AWG+24AWG) irrespective of what type of USB-C connector it has, (straight for A139 series & right angle for everything else).

The Usual Suspects .jpg
Quality Control Date Code Sticker Collect 'em All .jpg
You Gotta Keep 'Em Separated .jpg
24AWG vs. 20AWG+24AWG .jpg

I dropped $1k on these 3 cams, so I'm not particularly eager to replace them all and eat the $1k. I'm ready to ditch the one in this car entirely though and move to a different brand and will do the same with the others if/when the problems become as severe as this one.
As a latch ditch effort to recoup some of the monetary loss I would file a claim and dispute the charges for these cameras with your bank / credit card company.
Just call the 1-800 number on the back of your credit / debit card, tell 'em what happened, and they will do the rest.
I would request a refund, and send back all the cameras.
Usually it will take them 30 days to investigate the retailer / seller.
The worst they can say is no, and the best they can do is credit your account $1,000.
Then take that $1,000 to another brand.

Something doesn't add up here. How can it be that 4 different units in a row all have these problems? (3 + a replacement) It is as if there is a hidden cause the OP has yet to figure out rather than a 100% failure rate across 4 units in a row. Seems statistically impossible.

Last edited:
Something doesn't add up here. How can it be that 4 different units in a row all have these problems? (3 + a replacement) It is as if there is a hidden cause the OP has yet to figure out rather than a 100% failure rate across among 4 units in a row. Seems statistically impossible.
I talked to him today. I guess in the last 31 days noone at Viofo asked him to do a format of the SD card. I instructed him to do a format on his computer and try the cigarette lighter cable and let me know if everything is fine.

1. Possible. I have no idea. They're all Viofo hardwire kits purchased at the same time as the respective cams.
2. This isn't a possibility. I have been doing installs on car audio, lights, switches, accessories, etc. for 28 years.
3. I can certainly look into this, but there wouldn't be any logical reason for this to occur suddenly after 10 months with no changes to the vehicle. It's been connected to the same circuit and nothing has been added to or removed from the vehicle.

View attachment 67023

I will try that in the latest cam. I'm honestly not sure what firmware revisions they have sent me, but each time they send me one the problems only get worse. They never say what version it is and since I can't get the app connected to the cam, I can't view it in the settings.

I have an army of microSD cards here. None change the outcome in this camera. I also tried the original card in the other 2 A139s we have and no issues.

This has been going on for 31 days now and happens regardless of ambient temps, but when I tested the new cam the other day it was 75F outside - well within operating temps (which Viofo lists as 149F).
Shall we have a video showing how you connect to the camera wifi for analysis? If it is possible, please upload the video here: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/
Besides, have you tried to set your phone to airplane mode and forget other Wi-Fi sources to test if you can keep the connection between the camera and your phone? We really want to solve the issue for you, hope we can get this chance. In addition, if you have opened a ticket already, may you please tell us the ticket number so we can communicate with you more conveniently?

I talked to him today. I guess in the last 31 days noone at Viofo asked him to do a format of the SD card. I instructed him to do a format on his computer and try the cigarette lighter cable and let me know if everything is fine.

Good advice! Those of us who have been on this site for a decade or so will always tell people that the memory card is the first place to start the troubleshooting process when something goes wrong with your dash cam. Then move on to cables, power supply, etc. But of course, you already know that. :happy:

Hope it gets straightened out.

What brand and model cards are you using?

SanDisk Max Endurance is in there atm (recommended by Viofo). I also have a SanDisk Extreme (also recommended by Viofo), Samsung Pro Endurance, Samsung EVO Select/Plus and about 10 others I can't name offhand.

Something doesn't add up here. How can it be that 4 different units in a row all have these problems? (3 + a replacement) It is as if there is a hidden cause the OP has yet to figure out rather than a 100% failure rate across 4 units in a row. Seems statistically impossible.

Since I have had the failure to record and freeze issues with every single unit, it seems pretty clear to me that there's a design issue because - as you said - it seems statistically impossible that I would just get 4 problem units by chance. Also, there have been quite a few reports here and in the Amazon review of those same issues coming up over and over again, so I'm not alone here. Although I'm not thrilled with it, I can live with the occasional failure to record or lockup. What I can't live with are the persistent problems with the 2 newest cameras - the last one that I purchased and its replacement. Those are the only 2 cameras that I just can't get working no matter what I do.

I did a low level format of the card last night. No change. After several attempts though I have realized that I can sporadically (and unpredictably) get the wifi to work for about 30 seconds by removing the power source for several minutes and then reconnecting it. (So far, this has only worked 2 out of 10+ times.) I did switch over to the socket power cord also as per Panzer's suggestion.

Shall we have a video showing how you connect to the camera wifi for analysis? If it is possible, please upload the video here: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/
Besides, have you tried to set your phone to airplane mode and forget other Wi-Fi sources to test if you can keep the connection between the camera and your phone? We really want to solve the issue for you, hope we can get this chance. In addition, if you have opened a ticket already, may you please tell us the ticket number so we can communicate with you more conveniently?

I uploaded a video to the existing ticket yesterday showing that the wifi button just keeps when I press it and the light remains out. I have tried turning wifi on/off repeatedly and have tried it over 3 different devices. No luck. Additionally, I can connect to the wifi on the other 2 Viofo cams with these same 3 devices, so I know the issue is with this specific camera. Ticket 128470.

Since I have had the failure to record and freeze issues with every single unit, it seems pretty clear to me that there's a design issue....

That's the thing. You don't know that there is a design issue at this point. It "may" be something you just haven't tracked down yet. You keep making definitive statements here about what you assume is or is not wrong even though you don't know that for sure just yet and you keep rejecting suggestions out of hand.

For example, you claimed that it is "impossible" that you might have made a mistake doing the wiring because you have been doing stuff like this for 28 years but you don't say how you actually wired the cameras. I don't buy that it is "impossible" that you might have done the wiring incorrectly just because you say so. I'm not saying you did but as far as we who have responded to this thread are concerned at this point it is not a "fact". The fact is that all of us here who also have a lot of technical experience have screwed something up here and there and had to go back and fix some dumb error we've made or something we may have overlooked. It happens.

I understand your frustration at this point but troubleshooting is a process of elimination and having preconceived notions about what is or isn't wrong can be counterproductive.

That's the thing. You don't know that there is a design issue at this point. It "may" be something you just haven't tracked down yet. You keep making definitive statements here about what you assume is or is not wrong even though you don't know that for sure just yet and you keep rejecting suggestions out of hand.

For example, you claimed that it is "impossible" that you might have made a mistake doing the wiring because you have been doing stuff like this for 28 years but you don't say how you actually wired the cameras. I don't buy that it is "impossible" that you might have done the wiring incorrectly just because you say so. I'm not saying you did but as far as we who have responded to this thread are concerned at this point it is not a "fact". The fact is that all of us here who also have a lot of technical experience have screwed something up here and there and had to go back and fix some dumb error we've made or something we may have overlooked. It happens.

I understand your frustration at this point but troubleshooting is a process of elimination and having preconceived notions about what is or isn't wrong can be counterproductive.

3 different vehicles, 3 different hardwire kits (all Viofo), 3 different socket power cords (also all Viofo), a dozen different SD cards (several of them explicitly approved by Viofo, various brands, various sizes, etc.) ... It's not like my experience is an isolated one either. There are over 100 similar complaints on Amazon alone about similar problems and quite a few here as well. That's 100+ people with 100+ vehicles, 100+ SD cards of varying makes, models, sizes, etc. The vast majority are probably using the cigarette lighter adapter for whatever that's worth. The only common denominator in any of these scenarios is the Viofo A139.

I have also been at this with Viofo for over a month. They ask me a question and I answer it - right in the support ticket. They ask me the same question again the next day. I answer it again. They ask it again 2 days later. Over 1 month in and today they asked me to send them a video of the camera connected to wifi in the app .... Um, hello?? That is either grossly incompetent or intentionally designed to frustrate consumers into going away.

As far as my installation, of course I make mistakes like everyone else. However, these are very simple, straightforward installations for people that have done this type of thing before, I always check my work several times over and there is absolutely no logical wiring scenario in which the camera (mostly) works fine for 10 months and then suddenly has these issues? The wires are hooked up to the same circuits they were on day one. Nothing has been added to or removed from the car. The wires were inspected for physical damage and there was none. The fuses were checked; nothing of concern there. Nothing burned or blown. I was open to the possibly of voltage fluctuations and I absolutely did consider that the hardwiring kit could be kit. As such, I promptly followed the advice to switch power to the Viofo-supplied socket adapter several posts ago. So yes, we can 100% definitely rule out my wiring and the hardwire kit since both were entirely removed from the equation several posts ago.

2023-08-24_164717_Screenshot.jpg
2023-08-24_164723_Screenshot.jpg
2023-08-24_164742_Screenshot.jpg
2023-08-24_164803_Screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Back