Rear camera satellite radio RF interference

Acelottski

Reaction score
Country
United States
My satellite radio antenna is mounted at the rear of my roof adjacent to my rear glass. When I plug in my rear camera, the satellite radio goes out, says no signal. Unplug the rear camera, the signal comes back.

I've tried shielding the wiring with tin foil, which worked until I put the camera back on the glass, then no signal again. Besides moving the camera to either side or down to the bottom of the windshield, anyone have a better solution? Maybe a better way to shield the wire or camera? I've seen copper shielding tape on Amazon, but not sure if that's the solution either.

Thanks!

Try adding a ferrite choke to the cable at the camera end. If that does nothing try rerouting the cable as having it run alongside antenna cable would interfere with it.

I had issues with the rear cam interfering with DAB reception and added a single ferrite core/bead but it only improved it a little. I ended up just running with the front cam, but went back to it recently and, after doing a bit more research, purchased/fitted a few more of these inexpensive cores/beads/chokes and the reception is much better, and I have refitted the rear cam permanently.

I basically put a core a couple of inches from the rear cam, then one every 4-6 inches, so I have 4 of them along the length of the rear cable from the rear cam. Only the first one is visible, the rest are under the trim.
Most of the cores I've seen are reusable so you can clip them in place, test them and then unclip, move, refit, test, to see if the reception is better for your application.
My problem was on a 2018 Golf, and they have a shark fin aerial near the top of the hatch, aswell as what I think is a DAB amp in the rear hatch near where cables run in/out of the hatch.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I did try running the cable along the top and bottom of the car, but the issue appeared to occur only when it got near the rear hatch/aerial/amp.

Edit2: I used the 5mm size cores. Tight fit, but that's what you need for best results.

Viofo emailed me back on my support case. Said they are releasing a new, shielded cable soon. Said they may be in by the end of the month, and they'll mail them to me. They also said they only see this in a few cars, and they asked me to send my vehicle types. I did along with pictures showing how the cameras were mounted in relation to the satellite antenna.

I've lost my Bluetooth phone connection in my car can this be the same problem?

I've lost my Bluetooth phone connection in my car can this be the same problem?
Could be. All depends where your Bluetooth antenna is mounted. Looking at the problems people have had with the unshielded cord for the rear camera, I think Viofo is going to start shipping all new units with the shielded cord. When they come in. :)

Could be. All depends where your Bluetooth antenna is mounted. Looking at the problems people have had with the unshielded cord for the rear camera, I think Viofo is going to start shipping all new units with the shielded cord. When they come in. :)
The cables are shielded. Probably trying to improve them though.

Hi, does anyone know if the new cables now are shielded better?

Just got a new car and getting dab interference. Was fine in old car. I had to get a new rear cam in 2021 but kept the same cable and just swapped the cam.

Just wondering if putting the 2021 cable on will fix it?

Back