SG9665GC firmware suggestions

Which Firmware Updates would you like the most for the GC?

• GPS and speed embedded On Video (2 options)

• Speed / Heading HUD on LCD

• Vertical image rotation (for mounting upside down)

• Mirror Image (independent of text for backup camera usage)

• Turn off REC light when not recording

• Other (see posts)

• None

• Other video format options (not just HD)

• Display dimming during night time or dark conditions

• Night vs Day Exposure Value (EV) settings

Results are only viewable after voting.
the only suggestion I would make is the addition of different video ratios, other than a strict HD. While I'm happy with the HD and if it never changes, I'll still be happy, but sometimes different ratios provide a clearer picture with greater color and detail.

What is strict HD?

HD = 720P
Full HD = 1080P

Why would you want to capture less detail at a lower resolution? You won't be able to read license plates and I don't see how color would be enhanced. Please help us understand.

maybe just to get more recording time on the same card. sometimes i use my dashcam for non-dashcam type stuff and a lower resolution or lower frame rate would be nice... like when i do a hyperlapse video, 1080p@10fps would probably be just fine since i will be speeding it up anyway.

What is strict HD?

HD = 720P
Full HD = 1080P

Why would you want to capture less detail at a lower resolution? You won't be able to read license plates and I don't see how color would be enhanced. Please help us understand.

I guess I should have said, "Strictly HD"
As requested, I'll be happy to help you understand.
Your website advertises:
"The SG9665GC is a Set-it-and-Forget-it, FULL HD 1080P DashCam Video Security Car DVR" Appliance" https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/d...sony-imx322-sensor-gps-32gb-storage-card.html

As such, the SG9665GC has no other video resolution settings than HD, 720 x 1080p.
Now, my Mini 0806 has the following video resolution settings:
2560x1080 30fps 21:9 (cinema mode)
2304x1296 30fps 16:9
1920x1080 45fps 16:9
1920x1080 30fps 16:9
HDR 1920x1080 30fps 16:9
1280x720 60fps 16:9
1280x720 30fps 16:9
While I have tried most, if not all of the settings offered by my Mini, 0806, I prefer the 2304x1296 30fps 16:9 setting over the HD setting. In my opinion, this resolution setting does provide a clearer, more dynamic picture with less color saturation that the HD setting. As far as the reading of license plates, while I agree that video resolution plays an important part, other factors such as the focus of the camera, weather/road conditions, style and colors of the individual plates all have a part to play. In other words, a HD 720p x 1080p will do a fine job at displaying the information contained on a license plate, but it is certainly not the only...and not neccesarily the best resolution for that specific task.
These are simply personal preferences and I am not knocking any one camera over another and I am not knocking any particular video setting over anything else. In the world of dash cameras, there are far different and ever changing conditions to contend with- and personal video viewing preferences are as divergent as personalities. In this regard, having optional video resolution settings available will help the dash cam owner to adjust their camera to whatever condition or viewing preference appeals to them.
My point was that it would be nice to simply have options available concerning different video resolutions ...I did not mean to imply that different video resoultion settings were necessary and I certainly did not suggest that the lack of different video settings somehow detracted from the overall quality and convienence of the SG9965GC. I knew when I purchased the SG9665GC it had a limited video setting and I was willing to give it a try to see how I liked it. I tried it and I can certainly live with it.
This thread concerned itself with suggestions concerning firmware updates (it did before I hijacked it responding to you post). I assumed we could be adult enough to have a constructive conversation about possible firmware updates without being called upon to explain ourselves. Nevertheless, I hope this helps to answer your question

As such, the SG9665GC has no other video resolution settings than HD, 720 x 1080p.
Now, my Mini 0806 has the following video resolution settings:
2560x1080 30fps

I think it's always best if everyone explains thoughts/reasons on here. I hope you didn't interpret my post the wrong way, it was a serious question. I thought you were only talking about lowering the resolution, not increasing it. @jokiin can better explain.

Full HD = 1920 x 1080, and the SG9665GC records at 1920 x 1080 30fps
0806 uses different hardware. GC is not capable of recording at Super-HD resolutions.
Due to the higher quality GC lens, and the all metal heat warp resistant lens housing, you'll find the GC often times has a clearer photo when compared to the higher resolutions of some super-HD cameras on the market right now.

just to clarify

it's 1920 x 1080 actually, Full HD

While I have tried most, if not all of the settings offered by my Mini, 0806, I prefer the 2304x1296 30fps 16:9 setting over the HD setting. In my opinion, this resolution setting does provide a clearer, more dynamic picture with less color saturation that the HD setting.

with the hardware the 0806 uses that will offer a better result, their 1920 x 1080 is compressed, on ours the 1920 x 1080 is not compressed

In other words, a HD 720p x 1080p will do a fine job at displaying the information contained on a license plate, but it is certainly not the only...and not neccesarily the best resolution for that specific task.

what resolution works best is hardware dependent, sensors used at their native res or resolutions that are not compressed generally do look better regardless of what that resolution might be, the sensor we are using is ideal for 1920 x 1080, other resolutions (higher) are either not possible, or (lower) a huge compromise, makes sense just to use what works best for our particular hardware

we will have some other models coming that will have more choices available 1080p60, 21:9 (2560 x 1080p30), 4K (3840 x 2160p30) etc but that's different hardware that we'll be using

anyway all feedback and ideas are good, keep them coming :)

we will have some other models coming that will have more choices available 4K (3840 x 2160p30) etc
keep me updated, I will be the first to get one of these for sure.

we will have some other models coming that will have more choices available 1080p60, etc

keep me updated, I will be the first to get one of these for sure.:p

I added the suggested firmware updates to the Poll. I am adding the night vs day EV settings in there, strictly for that though as the rest the camera seems to handle already as explained based on light levels.

Option to switch between Km/H and MPH on embedded speed display. PLEASE ! ! ! ! :)

The lock hazard button to only need one press to 'lock' a file rather than one press to wake the screen and then another press to 'lock' the file.
Also some kind of audible beep to confirm the file lock has been pressed. My dashcam is hidden behind the rear view mirror, so I cannot see the screen/LEDs to confirm a file 'lock' has happened. (Please if possible)
I think this has been mentioned on another thread.

i don't see it in this thread, but perhaps an audible beep/warning when there's an error such as a card-read error, card full, event/lock, etc. some errors (like the first 2) should be audible even if the user has sounds turned off, since they really need your attention or else you basically don't have a dashcam. for example, if i turn on my blacksys cf-100 without an SD card, it starts saying, over and over, "PLEASE INSERT SD CARD" so there's no chance you'll miss it and start driving without a cam.

i don't see it in this thread, but perhaps an audible beep/warning when there's an error such as a card-read error, card full, event/lock, etc. some errors (like the first 2) should be audible even if the user has sounds turned off, since they really need your attention or else you basically don't have a dashcam. for example, if i turn on my blacksys cf-100 without an SD card, it starts saying, over and over, "PLEASE INSERT SD CARD" so there's no chance you'll miss it and start driving without a cam.

something we can look at

this is the only thing I miss from my old blackspew. already done it once since ive had a SG9665GC, went to pull the card out and it wasn't in there but still in my PC.

im lazy, wouldn't do it as I'd probably lose it.

Back