Starburst effect at night.

I just went and cleaned the inside and outside as well as the lens again. I’m getting ready to pick up some kids from gymnastics and I’ll report back if that helped. Can’t hurt. Maybe I smeared something and didn’t see it.

My new windshield was a vast improvement too. But I'd rather have chosen to do it a bit later- a &%#@ tree limb thought differently :cautious:

That windshield is screwed up. You need to compare a recording through it and one through clear air with the cam in hand taken at the same time pointed in the same direction.

Phil

That windshield is screwed up. You need to compare a recording through it and one through clear air with the cam in hand taken at the same time pointed in the same direction.
My thoughts as well. Image looks just like my vehicles when the glass needs a good cleaning (mostly my wife's car).

Agree with the comparison recommendation as well - should point the finger of blame exactly where it needs to be.

Here’s a live feed with the window down looking at light. The light looks the same with the window up.

Attachments

• 8551E3B0-8C60-4601-9991-289D04E78753.jpeg
    8551E3B0-8C60-4601-9991-289D04E78753.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 11
Wow. If you see that with no window in between then it's the cam lens, and TBH I've never seen a dashcam lens that bad- not even cheap plastic ones :eek:

Phil

Take a still picture ("OK Garmin, take a picture") and post it here. Make sure it is the picture directly from SD card not a pic from your phone (which is low res)

Take a still picture ("OK Garmin, take a picture") and post it here. Make sure it is the picture directly from SD card not a pic from your phone (which is low res)
I will do that. So you’re saying the images off the sd card could be better and not show that but the low res live view and screenshots are showing it? That would make sense. I’ll check tomorrow...going to work in a bit.

The strike lines (marked in blue) indicate lens contamination by an oily substance and needs to be cleaned.
The sphere (circled in red) is considered normal. So far that is the best these type of cameras they can do at interpreting light at night without destroying detail around darker areas. Some will do better than other depending on the IQ tuning and these will continue to improve over time as new advanced sensors are developed.
Screenshot_20201229-183405_Chrome.jpg

The strike lines (marked in blue) indicate lens contamination by an oily substance and needs to be cleaned.
The sphere (circled in red) is considered normal. So far that is the best these type of cameras they can do at interpreting light at night without destroying detail around darker areas. Some will do better than other depending on the IQ tuning and these will continue to improve over time as new advanced sensors are developed.
View attachment 54799
Thanks. I will try and clean the lens with some of my eye glass cleaner maybe and cloth. I’ll report back and see.

Reactions: EGS
Back