Stupid question perhaps.

Mjukes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Just installed my A129 pro duo

My car has wireless CarPlay and keeps overriding my phones connection to the camera. Even so, am I right in saying it is not possible to connect the camera to my house wifi, to enable remote viewing?

I’ve not managed to get the app connected long enough to explore the options.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

So. Quite shocked that the Pro doesn’t have this feature. Makes no sense. Wish I’d bought a plus now. Assumed all were the same bar resolution. Not impressed

Almost no dashcams with wifi will connect to the house wifi. The dashcam wifi is usually very short range, and intended to connect to a phone for configuring the camera, and viewing videos.
When your car is at your house, the car is off. Unless you have hardwired the camera, this means the camera is off too, so it could not connect to the house wifi.
When you are at an accident scene, and wanting to show the video to the cop, you will be too far from the house wifi for it to connect, so the phone is the only option.
With the A129 pro, you can do the setup on the camera itself. You can also view the video on the camera (though the screen is ridiculously small.) A better option is to get a memory card reader that can attach to your phone, something that is much more reliable and faster than trying to connect to the cameras wifi.
I have not had much luck getting my phone to connect to the A129 pro. I got it to work once, but not recently. Not something I want to mess around with when trying to show the video to a cop. I prefer plugging the memory card into my computer since it is much faster.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. A friend has a blackview and it picks up his home wifi So he can view his cam from
Anywhere (at the pub last night)
Moreover if it could connect to any wifi I could link it to my cars hotspot.

Still at the end of the day, upon reflection, being able to remote view is a low priority.

Turning off Bluetooth stopped the CarPlay interference and the connection to the camera was very stable.

Thanks again

Hi all. Just installed my A129 pro duo. My car has wireless CarPlay and keeps overriding my phones connection to the camera. Even so, am I right in saying it is not possible to connect the camera to my house wifi, to enable remote viewing? I’ve not managed to get the app connected long enough to explore the options. Any ideas.
This is the answer/solution to the CarPlay conflict issue:
Turning off Bluetooth stopped the CarPlay interference and the connection to the camera was very stable.

Ok. Here’s another silly question

How can I be sure my permanent 12v feed is working? I’ve used a recommended fuse on my Passat B8 but the fuse box is inaccessible to my voltmeter.

I get out the car and the record light is on. But will it do that under its own power anyway?

Is there a way to be sure the 12v feed is working with ignition off?

Cheers

Mike

Ok. Here’s another silly question

How can I be sure my permanent 12v feed is working? I’ve used a recommended fuse on my Passat B8 but the fuse box is inaccessible to my voltmeter.

I get out the car and the record light is on. But will it do that under its own power anyway?

Is there a way to be sure the 12v feed is working with ignition off?

Cheers

Mike

Yes, it will keep recording normally for a short period.

If you have it wired correctly, the red light will start to flash, then it'll then switch to one of the 3 parking recording modes.

To check, turn off the ignition, stay in your car and lock the doors as if you left it. After the red recording light has finished flashing, hit the menu button to wake up the screen and check the icon in the upper left part of the screen. It should be one of the three parking icons. See attached pic.

Attachments

• Viofo A129 Pro Duo Mode Symbology.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you. I’ve not open to have a look but can see after 2 hours the LED’s are still on. So assume that means it’s getting power. No?

Thank you. I’ve not open to have a look but can see after 2 hours the LED’s are still on. So assume that means it’s getting power. No?

Yes. But you need to verify that the cam went into parking mode. Otherwise it's using much more power than it otherwise should be and will hit the battery saver cutoff much faster.

Thank you. I can confirm I’ve got a little running man. .
I’ll check the files in the morning to see what it picked up

Thanks again.

Mike

Thank you. I can confirm I’ve got a little running man. .
I’ll check the files in the morning to see what it picked up

Thanks again.

Mike

Yup, that's the parking motion detection mode icon. You should be good to go.

Sweet. I turned motion detection off. I assume you mean event detection (impact etc?)

really appreciate your help. Love forums!!

Sweet. I turned motion detection off. I assume you mean event detection (impact etc?)

really appreciate your help. Love forums!!

No. Impact Detection and Parking Mode are two separate things.

Impact detection is always on, and you adjust the sensitivity in the firmware.

Parking mode is either on or off, and has 3 modes: Auto Event Detection, Low Bitrate Recording, or Timelapse Recording. If you have parking mode on, the little icon you see tells you which mode you're in.

Here's the expanded explanation from VIOFO: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...de-should-i-choose-how-should-i-do-the-setup-

Hmm. Ok. Thank you. Not gonna lie, all a bit confusing. Cannot remember what setting I have now (wish the app remembered them). So will check in the morning.

Thanks again.

There are 2 motion detection settings, one for regular driving mode and one for parking mode. Leave the one for regular driving off.

Thank you.
So the camera didn’t remember the settings I’d changed, which is irritating. So changed them again. Parking motion was on medium and I live across from trees so had a folder full of files this morning.
So set to low again.

the whole UX is so clunky, it’s not made a great impression on me

the whole UX is so clunky, it’s not made a great impression on me

I agree. I greatly prefer the BlackVue firmware, but that could stand some improvement too, I think.

There are 2 motion detection settings, one for regular driving mode and one for parking mode. Leave the one for regular driving off.
The regular driving mode motion detection can be used as a form of parking mode. In a Tesla, the cigarette lighter outlet remains powered when sentry mode is active, so when parked in my garage, sentry mode is turned off (location based) and so are the dash cams, but when parked elsewhere, sentry mode is enabled, and the dashcams are in motion detection mode. Of course when driving, there is continuous motion, so it records normally.

The Tesla does not have a fuse box, so I'm not even sure it is possible to properly hardwire the camera to get normal parking mode working.

Of course when driving, there is continuous motion, so it records normally.
This isn't the case for everyone, which is way most users should leave motion detection off. It's an unreliable feature that most manufacturers recommend leaving off.

Back