Thermal Images of the Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera

mister_rf

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
YI /GT300W / C1 / DIMIKA / E720 / MOBIUS / DVR207 / 808 # 18
I have decided to use thermal imaging to monitor the Yi camera temperature level.
The initial start-up temperatures:

2.jpg

Temperatures after 10 minutes

9.jpg
Front side camera. Temperatures after 30 minutes:
12.jpg

Back side camera. The battery compartment is open. Temperatures after 30 minutes:

13.jpg
Front side camera. Front panel removed. Temperatures after 30 minutes:

10.jpg
the battery's temperature- removed after 30 minutes

14.jpg

It was observed that inside camera some component was reaching up to 75°C temperature. This was much more than I have expected, due to the fact I am considering using a waterproof case for this camera.
I suppose that situation will facilitate the temperature to increase even more.

Also the battery's temperature can reach up to 55°C. This situation can shorten the battery's life as well.

Interesting testing there. Have you done similar testing on other cams i.e. any car dash cams, or action cams e.g. GoPro / SJCAM?

with that temperature how much more if with waterproof case lol. as the waterproof case will also serve as protective case for most of us. the waterproof case should have a removable back panel so we can switch to another back panel with holes for ventilation when not using underwater. just like gopros.

Yes its hot. Maybe it is the cmos what make heating. Could you take some thermal image for the disassembled working Yi? It will be good to know what chip make the heating. Can you take some without the aluminum front plate?

Thanks, best regards,
Adam.

I have decided to use thermal imaging to monitor the Yi camera temperature level.
The initial start-up temperatures:

View attachment 13235

Temperatures after 10 minutes

View attachment 13236
Front side camera. Temperatures after 30 minutes:
View attachment 13237

Back side camera. The battery compartment is open. Temperatures after 30 minutes:

View attachment 13238
Front side camera. Front panel removed. Temperatures after 30 minutes:

View attachment 13239
the battery's temperature- removed after 30 minutes

View attachment 13240

It was observed that inside camera some component was reaching up to 75°C temperature. This was much more than I have expected, due to the fact I am considering using a waterproof case for this camera.
I suppose that situation will facilitate the temperature to increase even more.

Also the battery's temperature can reach up to 55°C. This situation can shorten the battery's life as well.

Back