Thinkware U3000 - Testing / Review - RCG

I've been testing the Thinkware OBD-II power cable (TOC-300). The information received from Thinkware was quite vague. The only thing my Thinkware contact stated was that it used OBD-II data link connector pins 4/5 (ground) and pin 16 (vehicle battery power). Thinkware has stated that the manner in which the TOC-300 operates is propriety information. I do not agree in that the user of the TOC-300 needs to know at least a general description of how it operates to know whether it has a chance of working in their vehicle. Older vehicles don't have CANBUS networks, so if it uses CANBUS activity to know when to turn on/off the ACC power to the dash camera, that could be an issue.

I ran tests with the TOC-300 not plugged into an actual car. I have a data link connector with a 16 wire pigtail that I wired up to provide power to pin 16 and ground to pins 4/5. I used that to test the TOC-300 to see if the TOC-300 would turn on/off the ACC power to the dash camera based on the voltage level on pin 16. It does. Voltage levels (increasing) over 13.4 volts will have the TOC-300 turn on the ACC power. Voltage levels (decreasing) at or below 12.95 volts will have the TOC-300 turn off the ACC power to the dash camera. The 12.95 voltage level is a concern for some cars like mine that use an intelligent voltage monitor to determine what voltage level the alternator should output based on the charge level of the vehicle's battery and the current load on the electrical system (monitors with an amp clamp device around the negative battery cable).

I installed the TOC-300 into my car and I found the TOC-300 will turn on the ACC power to the dash camera when there is CANBUS activity present on pins 6/14. The TOC-300 will turn off the ACC power to the dash camera about 10 seconds after the CANBUS activity stops. The U3000 will enter parking mode 30 seconds after the TOC-300 turns off the ACC power. I've observed that when I open/close my car's door/trunk, that will awaken one or more modules connected to the CANBUS which results in the TOC-300 turning the ACC power on for the dash camera which makes it exit parking mode. After the door/trunk is closed and the module(s) on the CANBUS go back to sleep, the TOC-300 will turn off the ACC power to the dash camera which allows it to re-enter parking mode.

I'm still trying to get a better definition of how the TOC-300 operates from Thinkware. For example, if the vehicle it is installed into does not have a CANBUS network (early 2000s model years and older) how will it operate?

I created two videos showing my voltage level testing (not in a car) and the second one with the TOC-300 in my car. The video showing the testing in the car is where I use a data link connector breakout box to monitor/show the CANBUS signals on pins 6/14. The voltage level testing video was created with the "false" impression of that the TOC-300 only used the voltage level present on pin 16 of the data link connector.

Excellent work Robert.
What you have shown here is how the GNET OBD2 power cable functions in regard how it controls parking mode, (uses CANBUS signal activity).

In my testing of the GNET OBD2 power cable, parking mode will not work on vehicles that do not have CANBUS, (1996-2008ish).
It looks like the Thinkware OBD2 power cable will not enable parking mode on non CANBUS vehicles, and those vehicles will need the traditional hardwire kit.

Perhaps Thinkware should include a fourth item description on the package.
4.) May not be compatible with vehicle model years 1996-2008.
-Chuck

Excellent work Robert.
What you have shown here is how the GNET OBD2 power cable functions in regard how it controls parking mode, (uses CANBUS signal activity).

In my testing of the GNET OBD2 power cable, parking mode will not work on vehicles that do not have CANBUS, (1996-2008ish).
It looks like the Thinkware OBD2 power cable will not enable parking mode on non CANBUS vehicles, and those vehicles will need the traditional hardwire kit.

Perhaps Thinkware should include a fourth item description on the package.
4.) May not be compatible with vehicle model years 1996-2008.
-Chuck
Hi Panzer,
I believe CANBUS is optional to activate parking mode in openning the car door, but not sure. If someone can test iroad obd cable wtih U3000 and confirm if it will activate the parking mode based only on the power, it will help to confirm it.

If someone can test iroad obd cable wtih U3000 and confirm if it will activate the parking mode based only on the power, it will help to confirm it.
I don't have an iRoad OBD2 power cable, or a U3000 for testing.
Maybe @BlackboxMyCar can send one to @rcg530 for testing;

I can confirm that the Thinkware U3000 works perfectly fine with the IROAD OBD-II cable. It will fully go into parking mode as needed, based on the vehicle's ignition, and voltage protection will still work. I'm unable to confirm how the IROAD OBD-II cable will operate in non-CANBUS vehicles.

If rcg350 is interested in testing this cable, he can reach out privately.
-GP

I can confirm that the Thinkware U3000 works perfectly fine with the IROAD OBD-II cable. It will fully go into parking mode as needed, based on the vehicle's ignition, and voltage protection will still work. I'm unable to confirm how the IROAD OBD-II cable will operate in non-CANBUS vehicles.

-GP
Thinks for the confirmation. Does the time required to enter the parking mode vary from car to another?

I tested today for almost 4-5 min, but the camera didn't switch to the parking mode. While with Thinkware cable, the parking mode got activated after 2 min.

Thinks for the confirmation. Does the time required to enter the parking mode vary from car to another?

I tested today for almost 4-5 min, but the camera didn't switch to the parking mode. While with Thinkware cable, the parking mode got activated after 2 min.
Parking mode should active after roughly 2 minutes with the IROAD OBD-II cable, but this can depend on different vehicles, I've seen some start and stop engines take longer to go into parking mode with this cable. I'll double-check with some testing to make sure this is the case.

IROAD cable typically kicks in after 2 to 5 minutes. How I test this is rolling down the windows, closing doors and pushing lock on the remote. I set a timer of 5 minutes. Keep in mind the IROAD OBD2 cable has a g sensor in it so if you are moving around it will wake up.

IROAD cable typically kicks in after 2 to 5 minutes. How I test this is rolling down the windows, closing doors and pushing lock on the remote. I set a timer of 5 minutes. Keep in mind the IROAD OBD2 cable has a g sensor in it so if you are moving around it will wake up.
Thanks, that makes sense. Unfortunately, I cannot perform such a test for a long time because of the weather we have now (39C at night!). But I found the below logic posted in one of the threads. What I understood, the driving mode will be activated when and car is on plus movements for the car. Do you experience the same or the driving mode will be activated right away when you start the car?
Also, did you face that the parking mode was not activated even once? I want to make sure it is reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_092009.jpg
    IMG_20230810_092009.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 8

-GP
I reached out to BBMC and they are sending me an IROAD OBD-II JW-100 (Non-electric/Hybrid) power cable to test with the Thinkware U3000.

I reached out to BBMC and they are sending me an IROAD OBD-II JW-100 (Non-electric/Hybrid) power cable to test with the Thinkware U3000.
Waiting for your review. I noticed in my car, the iroad obd2 cable always switch to parking mode after 5 min when there is no move regardless if the car is on or off. Also the switch to driving mode triggered when there is a move and not when only starting the engine.

The IROAD OBD-II power cable was to have been delivered on Friday. When I checked Friday afternoon, the FedEx status showed that it was delayed and it is now projected to be delivered on Monday. There go my plans for testing it this weekend.

The IROAD OBD-II power cable was to have been delivered on Friday. When I checked Friday afternoon, the FedEx status showed that it was delayed and it is now projected to be delivered on Monday. There go my plans for testing it this weekend.
I love that you planned your test & evaluation for the weekend like most people plan getaway leisure activities. lol
I’m picturing you tapping your foot, checking your watch waiting on the FedEx guy, (cuz I do the same thing). lol

I’m so looking forward to you solving the “murder mystery who done it” called; “Thinkware OBD2 Power Cable Secrets Revealed”.

It’s frustrating, but exciting at the same time.
I think it’s funny because it seems every dash cam manufacturer operates with a different set of protocols on how they design their OBD2 power cable to function.
Considering the whole reason we have OBD2 in the first place is with industry standardization in mind.
OBD1 was a disaster for the aftermarket repair world because you needed different tools & methods for diagnosis for every different brand.
OBD2 kind of leveled the playing field so independent shops, and the DIYer weren’t forced to go to the specific brand dealer for repairs.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I updated my U3000 testing/review thread. I've had the U3000 2CH dash camera installed in my car for the past several months. I've worked through the iVolt Xtra battery pack failure problems with a third replacement unit. The two failed iVolt Xtra BAB-95 battery packs were reported to have a rare/random chip failure(?). The third iVolt Xtra BAB-95 have been working well since it was installed in my car.

After Ariel (@Vortex Radar) had a conversation with a Thinkware rep at SEMA about the rear radar parking mode issues, that's when I decided to restart my testing of the U3000 radar parking mode feature.

To get this out of the way before anyone asks, my car's window glass is standard automotive window glass. It has no tint film nor any type of special coating on the window glass.

I've found that the front camera radar "works", but it seems to be a bit slow at detecting movement. I've had very little success with the rear camera radar triggering the creation any motion time-lapse parking mode video files. I've been conversing with my Thinkware technical contact and sending information and test videos showing how the U3000 radar parking mode feature is behaving. I use a VIOFO dash camera in low bitrate parking mode to be the "monitor" of activity during the parking mode session. This way I can show what isn't be detected by the U3000 rear camera radar. I've been testing with the radar parking mode feature radar sensitivity set to "High" for both the front and rear cameras.

The first two test runs resulted in the U3000 rear camera radar not detecting movement directly behind my vehicle's rear bumper. I walk up to the rear bumper and sometimes I open the trunk lid. None of those events were detected by the U3000 rear camera radar. When I walk to my car's front driver side door, one of the radar units is picking up the movement. I'm well past the field of view for the rear camera and I shouldn't be within the field of view for the front camera, but one of them is pickup up my presence at the driver side front door (outside of the car). This is very consistent in my tests.

20231108 - Approaching Car / At Driver Side Front Door - VIOFO A139 Pro 2CH as monitoring dash camera in low bitrate parking mode
1700098889435.png 1700098940286.png

20231110 - Approaching Car / Trunk Lid Open / Returning To Car After Returning Cart / At Driver Side Front Door - VIOFO A229 Pro 3CH as monitoring dash camera
1700099216144.png 1700099594384.png 1700099615701.png 1700099639466.png

Due to the DCT limit of 10 attachments per post, the info related to my attempt to adjust the installation angle of the section of the rear camera that houses the radar transmitter and the test results from my tests on 20231115 will be in the my next post.

Radar parking mode testing continued....

One of the issues mentioned in @Vortex Radar's SEMA Thinkware video was the installation angle of the rear camera and how it can potentially impact the viability of the rear camera radar feature. My car's rear window has a typical installation angle/slope for a 4-door sedan. The fixed portion of the U3000 rear camera body (which contains the radar transmitter) has the rear edge with a slight downward point of view. Based on my calculations, the rear edge of the rear camera body needed to be tilted upward by 9 degrees to get it be perpendicular to the ground.

I ran a test to see if I could get the rear edge of the rear camera body to tilt/rotate upwards by 9 degrees. I 3-D printed a 40mm X 24 mm X 3.81 mm wedge to go in between the rear camera mount area and the window glass. After installing the wedge, the rear edge of the U3000 rear camera body was very close to being perpendicular to the ground which should allow the radar transmitter to be blocked by my car's trunk lid in any way.

Wedge / Stock Installation / Installation with wedge

1700102086188.png 1700102120169.png 1700102147156.png 1700102211173.png

This morning, I had some errands in town which allowed me to test out the "wedge" adjustment to the rear camera. I stopped in two locations which allowed for two different parking mode session tests. Unfortunately, the results of the adjusted installation angle did not help.

The front camera detected cars moving across the field of view. The cars were moving slowing, but the motion time-lapse video would start when the cars were almost beyond the field of view.

The rear camera radar feature did not seem to detect anything that should be within the 4 meter (13.1 ft) range that the radar sensitivity setting of "High" should provide. I will be running another test on Friday 20231117 with the radar sensitivity setting set to "Highest" for the front and rear cameras.

20231115 - Parking Mode Session 1

There were numerous vehicles traveling behind my car during this test. The distance between the rear window of my car and those cars was about 6 meters. I did not expect that those cars would be detected. When I returned to my car, I walked across a parking lot to end up directly behind my car's rear bumper / trunk lid ( 1 meter / 3.1 ft). The rear camera radar should have detected my presence at that location. The radar parking mode feature only seems to detect my presence when I am located at the front driver side door. Again, I don't know which camera's radar was detecting my presence at that point, but I was only slightly behind the rear edge of the U3000 front camera at that point.

At rear bumper (trunk lid ) / At front driver side door (motion time-lapse just started recording)

1700103406353.png 1700103459493.png

20231115 - Parking Mode Session 2

At this parking lot location, the cars that would drive behind my car were within the 4 meter (13.1 ft) range of the rear camera radar with a sensitivity setting of "High". Those cars were not detected by the rear camera radar.

When I walked up to the trunk of my car and opened the trunk lid to place items in the trunk, the rear camera radar did not detect that event. After closing the trunk lid, I then walked to the front driver side door. Once I was located at the door, my presence was detected by the front camera radar(?). That location appears to be a "good" spot for one of the two radar units to detect my presence. I did not touch nor open the door so it's not any type of physical motion of the car.

In the last screenshot from my test run video, you'll see a white pickup truck behind my car. Based on the fact that all other vehicles were not detected by the rear camera radar in this location and that when I am located at the front driver side door is when radar triggered motion time-lapse video is created, I have to say it was my location by the front driver side door and not the pickup behind my car that triggered this recording.

Car passing directly behind my car / Approaching rear of car / Trunk lid open / At front driver side door (outside)

1700103615315.png 1700104018448.png 1700104082853.png 1700104196499.png

I've reported my findings to Thinkware.

When I walk to my car's front driver side door, one of the radar units is picking up the movement. I'm well past the field of view for the rear camera and I shouldn't be within the field of view for the front camera, but one of them is pickup up my presence at the driver side front door (outside of the car). This is very consistent in my tests.
Could you determine which camera is triggering the recording by disconnecting the rear camera?
Nice detective work with the 3D printed wedge.

Could you determine which camera is triggering the recording by disconnecting the rear camera?
On Friday, I'm going to try the radar sensitivity setting of "Highest". After Friday's test, I can certainly try disconnecting the rear camera cable to see if it still is triggered when I'm located outside of the car by the front driver side door.

My 17-Nov-2023 test of the U3000 2CH with the radar sensitivity setting set to "Highest" for both front and rear cameras did not result anything being captured by the rear camera radar in radar parking mode. I created to test videos from the three parking mode sessions that took place during that drive on 17-Nov-2023. The U3000 never recorded any motion time-lapse video from the times when I walked up to the trunk of my, opened the trunk lid, closed the trunk lid, walked away with the shopping cart and when I returned from dropping off the shopping cart. I'm about 1 meter from the rear camera which most certainly should have resulted in a recording event with the radar sensitivity set to "Highest".

@Panzer Platform, I ran a test of the U3000 in radar parking mode with the rear camera disconnected. It appears that when I approach my driver side front door from the rear of the car, the front unit is picking up my movement. That strongly suggests that only the front camera's radar is triggering motion time-lapse recording events radar parking mode. I'm still curious why the front camera's radar is picking up my movement by the driver side front door since I'm at least 1 foot behind the the U3000 front camera.

My additional test results have been reported to Thinkware.

I'm still curious why the front camera's radar is picking up my movement by the driver side front door since I'm at least 1 foot behind the the U3000 front camera.
I think this is normal, most radar transmitters do transmit a little over 180 degrees, but will only detect at short distance to the sides and very short distance behind, they are radio waves that can go in all directions, with a directional antenna that works best in the forward direction.

The other possibility is that you are being seen by radar waves bouncing off bits of metal, such as your door pillars and other vehicles, or maybe more likely in this case, you are blocking some radar waves that were bouncing off the next car, and it sees a change in the intensity of what it is receiving back.

Radar sensors are analogue devices and far from the perfection of digital.

My contact at Thinkware Support North America (Mondo System) had me send back the rear camera and rear connecting cable to have Thinkware check them. Today, I received a replacement U3000 rear camera and rear connecting cable. I installed them, but this time I ran the connecting cable on a 95% different path than any other dash camera cable in my car.

Unfortunately, the two parking mode session tests with the new camera and cable resulted in the rear camera radar not detecting anything. I've sent my findings to Thinkware.

Here are frame grabs from my monitoring camera (A229 Pro 3CH) which show two events that should have been detected. I addition to waving my hand about two feet away from the rear window glass, I opened and closed the trunk lid as well. The only motion time-lapse videos created were when I walked to the front driver side door.

u3000_20231128_missed_event_1.png u3000_20231128_missed_event_2.png

My car's rear window is standard automotive glass. There are no special coatings or films installed on any window in my car. The U3000 rear camera is installed in a wide gap between the FOB antenna grid line and the rear window defroster's top grid line.

Back