Trying to get to a final conclusion, but still undecided.

Freegku

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, freshly boarded in your group .Been reading the forum for a long time though .Finally got to the point where I am ready to pull the trigger on my first ever dash cam.

To be honest , when I started the reading I was pretty sure that given the large amount of real life information available on this forum- referencing almost every single dash camera on the market (…North American at least…)- the process of narrowing down to best 2-3 options for my like would be a relatively quick one.

To my own dismay I feel like the information I went through for the past few weeks has created a more complex decision process and made me realize that… there is not going to be clear winners for my selected criteria set .Man, was I surprised…LOL.

On one hand I am aware that my lack of knowledge was really vast, but then after hours of reading, coming to the conclusion that I’ll probably have to settle for the “least bad option” was a bit demoralizing.

However, that said, I know now that I am in better position than few months ago. And for that I would like to thank to all the contributors to this forum, from the most experienced to the least, since all have created this big documented library which is readily accessible to everybody and a big help to newbies like myself who intend to make an informed decision. Thanks again!

Back to my quest.
I thought, in this day and age , my requirements are really not that fancy. Now I’m not so sure about that,LOL.
Here they are.
Must have:​
  1. Reliability. I’m not very techie nor rich. I’d like a camera that once installed does what’s designed to do. And for a very long time.
  2. Good HD Video and Audio. Day and Night .
  3. Small form/size appearance. Not invisible but not covering my entire windshield too.(exaggerating a bit , but I drive a VW GTI).
  4. Ability to record in parking.
  5. Capacitor (I live in a hot area).
Nice to have:​
  1. Easy removal capabilities (suction cup or similar). Working with cigarette light plug (i.e. not hard wiring it).
  2. Screen
Doesn't matter if it has GPS or WiFi.
Available budget : $200-$250 (…my very stretched limit)​

My investigation brought me down to the Street Guardian models, since reliability is so important and it became obvious that they stand out. That said, I’m not so sold for the bulkiness of the SG9665GC. So I’m left thinking maybe SGZC12RC. But then SG9665GC is the flag ship model, the one with the most accolades here. I’m really divided…

What would you guys recommend? Should I consider other models too ? Needless to say, I'm very interested in your advice.

Thank you.

P.S. apologies for the long message.Unintentional :).

Does your car leave the power ports on when it's off? You'll have a hard time finding cameras with parking mode if your car's power port doesn't provide power while parked.

The SG9665GC doesn't have a proper parking mode, so for your application the SGZC12RC might be a better choice.

That said, I’m not so sold for the bulkiness of the SG9665GC..

I don't think the SG9665GC is the right product for what you describe anyway but since you mentioned size being an issue I do notice we get people that regularly think it's a lot bigger than it is

Edit for size reference, next to an iPhone 5

7e705f9ddf9a9995313fe0df495dab69.jpg

Parking mode require hardwire power.
If you can use power bank for parking mode, then I can suggest mobius dashcam with capacitor. you can find more information

I has similar requirements and ended up going for a Lukas T970. I haven't received it yet but the video quality seems great, it's discreet, has GPS, wifi, parking mode, super capacitor (70c operating temp) and also has built in voltage protection, so you just wire the camera directly to the fuse box, no need for an external hardwire kit. The Lukas/Qvia app is supposed to be pretty buggy, but I'm sure they'll update the app and sort the bugs out with time.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
My car doesn't have an "always on" 12 V but I read in the GTI forums that it can be changed pretty easily to remain "on" all the time. That said I have seriously considered using a power bank (before searching for the other solution) , since I've seen some well documented videos about keeping SGZC12RC in parking monitoring via using an Anker power bank.
Now , looking at your suggestions , it looks like I have to reconsider the SG9665GC dimensions (...I'd really prefer to have some hands on it...) but ThePro said its not exactly the best for the parking mode. So again, stuck in the middle of it.What I don't like much about SGZC12RC is the fact that I need some extra space in my glove box to store the display unit.
So, after reading Green_Comet's comment , that model seems like a pretty good alternative. Although I can't find much price info about it at this point.I know Lukas has a reasonably good quality build, but how is the Lukas customer support ? I remember reading somewhere that they don't provide much assistance after purchase.
On another note, I also remember jokiin mentioning that he has another solution that's "on the way" these days. I'd be curios to find out about that one too.

Not sure if LukasDirect.com sells the QVIA, but if they do, you're essentially buying from Pier28 or CalgaryDashcam, both of whom operate that store and are very well regarded in terms of support.

I personally like the video of the two SG cams more than the QVIA.

In terms of the power bank option, please note that you'll need a 12v power bank if you want to use the RC or the QVIA, as both of those cameras only run in 12v. The GC does run in 5v and I've personally tested it with a power bank and it works correctly.

Having a 5v cam also opens the possibility of buying a cheaper camera such as a Mobius or an A118C to run as a rear camera with a car phone charger, so that you can run multiple cams off of one power port, which is the setup I'm considering having on my own car.

About the size of the SG9665GC, it's quite small and pretty much invisible unless you know how it looks and are specifically looking for it. I'll see if I can snap a picture of it today.

QVIA dashcam

Looking at the videos I see an exaggerated artificial sharpening. Far too much for my taste ...

I was referring before to the power bank option after I've seen this video comparison done by Niko. Here is the link to it: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/using-sgzc12rc-with-5v-external-battery-pack-and-12v-power-supply.19350/
That said, I've had another look at the GC model to better understand the size of it and indeed is not that big. But it doesn't have a buffering function.
GPS ,buffering and screen aside, is the video quality so much better for the GC when compared to the RC? How about support? Do they tend to ignore the RC in terms of software updates?
I also want to be able to just plug and go (as in right after I receive the package... and anytime after that) and use the parking mode only from to time to time, if I consider it necessary (i.e. by connecting it to a power pack).Is that workable with both?

I also want to be able to just plug and go (as in right after I receive the package... and anytime after that) and use the parking mode only from to time to time, if I consider it necessary (i.e. by connecting it to a power pack).Is that workable with both?

My SGZC12RC is set to function in buffered motion sensing mode when driving & when parked. The use of motion detection while driving is not advisable for most cameras, however, it's entirely reliable with the SGZC12RC.

The camera is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH external battery.

With the SGZC12RC, sited next to it's 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

While driving, the SGZC12RC is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the external battery, & the camera seamlessly continues recording.

This setup has worked faultlessly for me since June 2015.

Right. Thanks for the feedback. Did you use it as a primary/front camera?Any disappointments quality wise (...video/audio)?

Last edited:
Right. Thanks for the feedback. Did you use it as a primary/front camera?Any disappointments quality wise (...video/audio)?
It's my front facing dashcam. The main unit is housed in the glovebox. Sound from this location is muffled, so I've turned audio off. Not a problem for me, as I've 3 other dashcams in the car that record video & audio.

If I could change anything, I'd have a narrower field of view from the lens. Just my personal preference, as most owners seem happy with the FOV.

It's my front facing dashcam. The main unit is housed in the glovebox. Sound from this location is muffled, so I've turned audio off. Not a problem for me, as I've 3 other dashcams in the car that record video & audio.

If I could change anything, I'd have a narrower field of view from the lens. Just my personal preference, as most owners seem happy with the FOV.

That doesn't sound that bad at all. Audio is important , but as long as you can hear something the lack of clarity may not be a big drawback to me. Thanks for the detailed reply.

There is a thread in here on how to do a microphone mod on the SGZC12RC, this will extend microphone outside the case so you can put it where you wish.

Offcourse this void warrenty.

There is a thread in here on how to do a microphone mod on the SGZC12RC, this will extend microphone outside the case so you can put it where you wish.

Offcourse this void warrenty.

Yeah, I've checked that yesterday , but I'm not really very skilled with these types of "interventions". I'll have to wait for a different solution, maybe from the manufacturer itself ...someday ;). Thanks for sharing.

New models of single camera on wire and dual cameras on wire will also have a plug for external microphone, and the kit will even have that extra microphone in the box.

Im sure Street Guardian will not make that little mistake again :)

Many potential buyers will probably find that option more appealing. Any idea on the availability timeline for that new version ?

That would be at the very tail end of the year, think they might release something new soon, but that will be single channel in the normal form factor.

There should be 2 dual cameras on the way, one is like current ones with a ( smaller ) main unit & camera on the windscreen plus a small camera on wire for the rear, and then one with 2 cameras on a wire.

Not quite sure if there will be a new version of single cameras with the camera on a wire.

so, for the new single channel, are there any big improvements vs current models? I might take that into account before pulling the trigger...

Back