U3000 rear camera RADAR does not work

That was my next thought on testing the U3000 rear radar issue.

Since the radar feature is in the fixed portion of the camera body, the challenge is getting the rear face of the U3000 rear camera pointing in the correct / rearward direction to allow the radar to be facing in the correct direction.

View attachment 69497

I'll try to come up with something to temporarily hold the camera on the outside of the rear window glass to run a test in my driveway. No way to drive to another location with it mounted like that without some additional work to make camera and the cable stay in place while driving. :)
I placed my rear camera on a back seat and monitored movement through an open door and my rear camera responded to movement shown by the LED illuminating. The issue seems to be related to the angle of the rear window and the radar position, I'm not sure if the rear camera radar moves when I adjust the camera position. My experience is that in motion mode all movement in front of the rear window is recorded but in radar mode the rear camera LED doesn't light on sensing movement in front of the rear window and recording only takes place from the point of impact proving that the issue is the rear camera not sensing movement in radar mode when looking through the rear window. As far as I'm aware my Hyundai Ioniq 5 has a standard tinted rear window with no additional coatings.

Last edited:
Since the radar feature is in the fixed portion of the camera body, the challenge is getting the rear face of the U3000 rear camera pointing in the correct / rearward direction to allow the radar to be facing in the correct direction.
Do we know what direction the radar is pointing? It could be that on.a normal hatchback like the OP's Hyundai, the radar is pointing at the sky, or maybe it is pointing horizontal on the Hyundai and pointing at the ground on a vehicle with a vertical rear windshield...

It would be sensible if it pointed in the same direction as the lens, but we know that isn't the case!

If it only has a 40 degree beam, measured vertically, which seems quite likely, then it is not going to work well on all hatchbacks.

I also considered the radar projection angle and moved my arms around the rear window including above and below the rear camera but it didn't detect movement. I have wondered if by increasing the radar range setting to max if it detects movement through the range depth or just in a % of the range extremity.

Radar can measure distance, so it could be setting the actual distance, but I think that is very unlikely, don't think the sensor actually supports that measurement.
Radar can also measure speed, so it could be that you are not moving fast enough towards the sensor, this is quite possible, but not a good design.
My guess is that the range setting actually adjusts the amount of movement needed to trigger the sensor, the amount of change in image intensity, things that are closer cover more of the image, so just waving a small hand may not work, while walking across the beam does.

Today while waiting for Hyundai to get back to me about the rear window I'll test mine set to the low 1 meter setting. I used my U1000 with the additional radar unit which has a range of 7m with the angle being adjustable, it's significantly larger than the U3000 radar unit. I'm beginning to think the issue is a combination of not being able to adjust the radar angle and the radar struggling with some tinted screens because the small radar source size may indicate a reduced power radar beam and a reduced size receiver not receiving the full bounce back through the window. If it was practical I'd like to have tried the front camera positioned at the rear window in parking mode to see if it works.

If it was practical I'd like to have tried the front camera positioned at the rear window in parking mode to see if it works.
I like this idea.
@rcg530 Would this be worth testing, can you easily 3D print a mounting wedge to install the front camera on the rear window of your car?

I moved my rear camera to my wife's car and run the cable from the front camera in my car to the rear camera in my wife's car and positioned the camera on the rear parcel shelf with a clear view of the area behind the car. I completed numerous movement tests at different distances with the boot open and closed and at no time did the camera LED illuminate to indicate movement had been sensed and no motion recordings saved. I'm beginning to think that if two rear camera radar functions have failed to work for me then there's either an issue with all U3000 rear camera's or it's a batch issue only affecting some.

I like this idea.
@rcg530 Would this be worth testing, can you easily 3D print a mounting wedge to install the front camera on the rear window of your car?
From what I understand, the front radar module is in the same portion of the camera that has the front lens. I don't know that a 3D printed wedge would be necessary since entire front module moves when you adjust the front lens FOV. Only if the front module adjustment doesn't allow the FOV to adjusted enough for that installation location would a 3D printed wedge be necessary. I'm going to run my rear camera outside of the car test this morning. If I can get another power cable to rear window, I'll see about putting a U3000 front camera on the rear window.

I just updated my U3000 testing/review thread with my U3000 rear camera testing results. U3000 Rear Camera Radar - Not Working - User Error **

Short answer: User Error

The rear camera cable has a section on the end of the cable that is to snap into the rear camera housing around the USB port to keep it connected. The two most recent U3000 rear cameras that I've used/tested appear to require slightly more pressure than I expected when inserting the rear camera cable into the rear camera USB port. Don't get crazy with the amount of pressure you use to install the cable, but you should feel/hear a click when the cable is fully inserted.

Once I found that issue, the U3000 rear camera worked on the outside of the rear window glass and on the inside of the rear window glass. I did test the U3000 front camera on the inside of the rear window glass and it worked. It's not my car's rear window glass and it's not because of bad rear cameras (in my case).

Don't be like me. Make sure the rear camera cable is fully inserted until it clicks into place!

1701303730745.png

My UK version of the Thinkware U3000 rear camera radar fails to sense movement in parking mode both with the boot closed when it looks through the rear window and with the boot open with the rear window removed from the camera view. I repeated these tests on a second rear view camera which also failed to sense movement.

As with the first rear camera I also tested the second camera on a rear seat pointing towards an open rear door and as with the first camera it appeared to sense me walk past the open door. After reporting my experience in this thread I received advice from another forum member that the front camera radar also project backwards into the cabin making it possible that when I walked past the open rear door it was the front camera that sensed my movement.

In order to prove that both rear camera radar components definately don't work I ran the rear camera cable from the front camera in my car to my wife's car and with all doors in my car closed repeated the motion tests and again both cameras failed to sense motion in parking mode with the boot open and closed.

To prove once and for all that the front camera radar projects backwards into the cabin sensing motion in the cabin I initiated parking mode and stood near the drivers door out of sight of both camera's, with the recording LED off I moved in front of the drivers side window and immediately the record LED started flashing to indicate recording was taking place. Next I repeated the exercise on the passengers side and again the front camera started recording.

These tests have proved that neither rear camera radar responds to motion and that the front camera radar senses movement behind it. This leads me to believe that no U3000 rear camera radar works correctly and those U3000 owners that think there rear camera radar does respond to movement in parking mode could be seeing the rear camera activated by the front camera radar sensing movement at the back. My findings clearly prove the Thinkware U3000 rear camera with radar is flawed from manufacture and doesnt work as described in U3000 adverts. It's about time Thinkware come clean and own up to this issue and do something about it as.

My UK version of the Thinkware U3000 rear camera radar fails to sense movement in parking mode both with the boot closed when it looks through the rear window and with the boot open with the rear window removed from the camera view. I repeated these tests on a second rear view camera which also failed to sense movement.

As with the first rear camera I also tested the second camera on a rear seat pointing towards an open rear door and as with the first camera it appeared to sense me walk past the open door. After reporting my experience in this thread I received advice from another forum member that the front camera radar also project backwards into the cabin making it possible that when I walked past the open rear door it was the front camera that sensed my movement.

In order to prove that both rear camera radar components definately don't work I ran the rear camera cable from the front camera in my car to my wife's car and with all doors in my car closed repeated the motion tests and again both cameras failed to sense motion in parking mode with the boot open and closed.

To prove once and for all that the front camera radar projects backwards into the cabin sensing motion in the cabin I initiated parking mode and stood near the drivers door out of sight of both camera's, with the recording LED off I moved in front of the drivers side window and immediately the record LED started flashing to indicate recording was taking place. Next I repeated the exercise on the passengers side and again the front camera started recording.

These tests have proved that neither rear camera radar responds to motion and that the front camera radar senses movement behind it. This leads me to believe that no U3000 rear camera radar works correctly and those U3000 owners that think there rear camera radar does respond to movement in parking mode could be seeing the rear camera activated by the front camera radar sensing movement at the back. My findings clearly prove the Thinkware U3000 rear camera with radar is flawed from manufacture and doesnt work as described in U3000 adverts. It's about time Thinkware come clean and own up to this issue and do something about it as.
My U.S. version of the U3000 2CH was only picking up movement detected by the front camera's radar. I ran a test with just the front camera powered/connected and it would detect my arrival at the driver side front door when walking from the rear to the front of the car. When both cameras were operational, the only motion detected was once again when I arrived that the driver side front door.

Yesterday, I ran a series of tests with two different U3000 rear cameras on the outside of the rear window and on the inside of the rear window. The older U3000 rear camera worked on the outside and the inside of the rear window. The newer U3000 rear camera did not work in either location... until I discovered that the rear camera cable was not getting fully inserted into the newer rear camera's USB connection port. The rear camera cable has a recess at the end of the plastic casing at the cable end. That is meant to engage corresponding plastic on the rear camera side of the USB connection port opening. I found that my older U3000 rear camera does not have or enough plastic on the camera side to engage the recess of the cable end. That allowed the cable to be fully inserted without any resistance. A rear camera cable being fully inserted appears to be why the older U3000 rear camera was working in detecting movement during radar parking mode sessions.

When I suspected the insertion of the rear cable into the rear camera was a potential issue, I tried inserting the rear camera cable into the newer rear camera and then applying only a small amount of additional effort, the rear cable "clicked" into place making a full cable connection. With the rear camera cable fully inserted into the newer U3000 rear camera, the radar parking feature worked! I collected video from all of my tests (link to my post in my thread is listed above). When the rear camera radar detects my approach to the rear of the car, you see that I'm several feet behind my car. It NEVER detected my approach to the vehicle at that location with the cable insertion issue. Even with the cable not fully inserted (clicked into place), the rear camera would still be connected enough to allow video to be recorded.

Outside of rear window / Inside of rear window / Walking up to my car at local shopping center
u3000_new_rear_outside_MOT_20231129_124018_R.MP4_snapshot_00.00.png u3000_new_rear_inside_MOT_20231129_131057_R.MP4_snapshot_00.00.png u3000_new_rear_outside_MOT_20231129_142046_R.MP4_snapshot_00.00.png

This may not be your issue, but it's worth a check to make sure the rear cable camera is getting fully inserted in the USB connection port.

The two rear cameras I have are dated June and July 2023. After reading your first post on this issue regarding the fulky inserting the plug I pushed both cable plugs into both cameras fairly hard put no click, I've just tried again with the camera and cable in my house and pushing very hard I did get that click so I clearly hadn't been bushing hard enough for fear of damaging the camera's. I'll try with my camera mounted in the car later and report back, thanks very much for the info.

I just updated my U3000 testing/review thread with my U3000 rear camera testing results. U3000 Rear Camera Radar - Not Working - User Error **

Short answer: User Error

The rear camera cable has a section on the end of the cable that is to snap into the rear camera housing around the USB port to keep it connected. The two most recent U3000 rear cameras that I've used/tested appear to require slightly more pressure than I expected when inserting the rear camera cable into the rear camera USB port. Don't get crazy with the amount of pressure you use to install the cable, but you should feel/hear a click when the cable is fully inserted.

Once I found that issue, the U3000 rear camera worked on the outside of the rear window glass and on the inside of the rear window glass. I did test the U3000 front camera on the inside of the rear window glass and it worked. It's not my car's rear window glass and it's not because of bad rear cameras (in my case).

Don't be like me. Make sure the rear camera cable is fully inserted until it clicks into place!

View attachment 69518
Thanks to rcg530 my rear camera radar is now working, the issue was the extra force required to insert the plug the final 2mm. For some reason my 2ch U3000 didn't come with a manual and the one I downloaded doesn't mention the groove at the end of the rear camera plug that causes the restriction that requires the additional force to fully insert it. This lack of information isn't helped by the front camera announcing the rear camera is connected when it isn't fully connected. I've Emailed the retailer that sold me the U3000 with a few questions/complaints regarding the missing manual and information that resulted in me wasting so much time chasing a perceived fault that wouldn't have existed with the correct instructions. The instructions on the attached screen capture should include something like this the groove at the end of the plug restricts the plug insertion such that additional force is required to insert the plug the final 2mm when a click can be felt, THE REAR CAMERA IS NOT FULLY INSERTED WHEN THE FRONT CAMERA ANNOUNCES THE REAR CAMERA IS CONNECTED. BEWARE THAT NOT INSERTING THE PLUG FULLY AS DESCRIBED WILL PREVENT THE RADAR FROM WORKING.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_104252_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_104252_Drive.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I just finished a "quick tip" video that covers making sure the U3000 rear camera cable is fully inserted into the rear camera USB port. Today, the U3000 rear camera picked up a lot of things moving behind my car while in radar parking mode. I hope this simple solution resolves most of the rear cameras "not working in radar parking mode" concerns.

I just finished a "quick tip" video that covers making sure the U3000 rear camera cable is fully inserted into the rear camera USB port. Today, the U3000 rear camera picked up a lot of things moving behind my car while in radar parking mode. I hope this simple solution resolves most of the rear cameras "not working in radar parking mode" concerns.

Great video, I suspect that will solve many of the reported rear camera radar issues, it dis for me. One thing I'll add is that when the camera isn't fully inserted you'll get the audible rear camera inserted announcement from the front camera like I did, this doesn't mean the plug is fully inserted, it still needs additional force to insert it the extra few mm until it clicks. I've raised the missing details from the manual and the audible rear plug connected announcement when the camera isn't fully connected with the UK agent for Thinkware suggesting something like the following is added to the manual, "the groove at the end of the plug restricts the plug insertion such that additional force is required to insert the plug the final 2mm when a click can be felt, THE REAR CAMERA IS NOT FULLY INSERTED WHEN THE FRONT CAMERA ANNOUNCES THE REAR CAMERA IS CONNECTED. BEWARE THAT NOT INSERTING THE PLUG FULLY AS DESCRIBED WILL PREVENT THE RADAR FROM WORKING".

Great video, I suspect that will solve many of the reported rear camera radar issues, it dis for me. One thing I'll add is that when the camera isn't fully inserted you'll get the audible rear camera inserted announcement from the front camera like I did, this doesn't mean the plug is fully inserted, it still needs additional force to insert it the extra few mm until it clicks. I've raised the missing details from the manual and the audible rear plug connected announcement when the camera isn't fully connected with the UK agent for Thinkware suggesting something like the following is added to the manual, "the groove at the end of the plug restricts the plug insertion such that additional force is required to insert the plug the final 2mm when a click can be felt, THE REAR CAMERA IS NOT FULLY INSERTED WHEN THE FRONT CAMERA ANNOUNCES THE REAR CAMERA IS CONNECTED. BEWARE THAT NOT INSERTING THE PLUG FULLY AS DESCRIBED WILL PREVENT THE RADAR FROM WORKING".
In my case, the U3000 was not announcing anything about the rear camera's connection status and it was successfully recording rear camera video, just the rear radar wasn't working. It appears to depend on exactly how far the rear camera cable is pushed into the USB connector on the rear camera. In a test video I sent to Thinkware, I could make the U3000 detect the rear camera was disconnected or inserted by pulling the rear camera cable out just a bit more. I just hope this is the main reason for the rear camera radar not to work, since that means there's a simple solution for those U3000 owners.

A question was posted on one my videos about the U3000 rear radar issue related to how the security LED behaved when the cable was not fully installed and when it was fully installed. I ran a test with the front and rear security LEDs enabled.
  • I turned off the accessory power to the dash camera, waited the 30 seconds for the U3000 to enter radar parking mode.
    • When it first entered radar parking mode the U3000 is still awake until it expires the initial "awake period" timer and it then enters its "deep sleep" waiting for the radar units (front or rear) to detect movement.
    • I did not monitor the front security LED for this test, only the rear security LED.
  • When the U3000 goes into its "deep sleep" the rear security LED turns off.
  • With the rear camera cable only partially inserted (enough to still record video front and rear camera video and not complain about the rear camera)
    • No movement was detected behind the car.
    • When I approach the front of the car, the U3000 front camera detects the motion and the U3000 wakes up to start recording front and rear camera video.
    • The rear security LED turns on while the U3000 is recording for 20 second video and the remaining 40 seconds while it's still awake.
    • The rear security LED turns off again when the U3000 goes back into its "deep sleep" mode.
  • With the rear camera cable fully inserted (all the way until you feel the "click")
    • The rear security LED still behaves the same way.
    • The only and big difference is that motion behind my car is detected causing the U3000 to wake up and record front and rear video as needed.

That's exactly my experience, with the plug partially inserted the rear camera and LED only operated when the front camera sensed movement or an impact. I'd be interested in how many U3000s in the US with the rear camera radar not sensing movement now operate correctly with the plug fully I sorted.

I just received an email from my Thinkware contact stating that Thinkware has completed their review of the rear camera radar issue. Thinkware agrees with my test data showing that the rear camera cable not being fully inserted into the USB connection on the rear camera is one possible cause of the issue. I'm glad my several hours of testing this issue has resulted in a potential solution for users having problems with their U3000 dash camera's rear camera radar parking mode feature.

The rear camera cable USB connector has pins at the top of the connector that power the rear dash camera and are used for video recording and motion detection parking mode. Those pins are longer than the pins on the bottom side of the connector which are used for the radar feature (input/output). If the rear camera cable is not fully inserted into the rear camera to the point of hearing/feeling the "click", the camera will function for video recording and motion detection parking mode, but the radar feature will not be functional.

Thinkware just uploaded an official posting to their website about this issue.

[Updated] U3000 Rear View Camera Radar Issue - December 12, 2023

Thinkware has updated their "RADAR Parking Mode" article to include a small section stating the rear cable must be fully inserted into the rear camera for the rear camera radar feature to work.

RADAR Parking Mode

Thinkware U3000 English User Manual mentions inserting the rear camera cable into the rear camera until you hear a "Click":

1702499315257.png

U3000 User Manual - English

Here's a screenshot of a portion of the Thinkware post:

1702498560687.png

Last edited:
Back