Unable To Access All Movie Files

Just to wrap this thread up in case people find it in the future.
Turned out I had 2 fake memory cards, hence all the issues I have had.
Thanks for everyones help.
That 3F program was really helpful.

Just to wrap this thread up in case people find it in the future.
Turned out I had 2 fake memory cards, hence all the issues I have had.
Thanks for everyones help.
That 3F program was really helpful.

Big Big problem. Never buy memory cards from amazon. Only from Big Box Store or Manufacterer's Website....Fakes have flooded the market and the risk of getting one is too great compared to the few dollars / pounds / euros you'll save online.

Amazon is safe to buy from but you have to know how the system works and what to watch out for. All but one of my 8 or so cards came from there and all are genuine. My Transcends came directly from the Transcend store on Amazon, and of course every Samsung EVO Select comes from there since those are an Amazon-only brand (otherwise identical to the EVO Plus).

In every step of the sale you have to watch and make sure the seller hasn't changed on you. On a generic listing it might start out with Transcend then be switched to someone else who has the product in stock or who is cheaper or who has made more sales recently. This rarely happens when you buy from the store's page but happens often when you buy from a product listing page. Also safe is to buy when the product is being "fulfilled by Amazon" since that means they are the involved store themselves and they only buy those items direct from the manufacturer or the manufacturer's approved source (often abbreviated as "FBA")

In fact, you're more likely to get a bogus card from almost every other source than from Amazon provided you watch the seller as I've noted above. But if you buy otherwise from Amazon, or buy from Ebay, There's a serious risk you'll get a bogus card,and even huge retailers like Best Buy and Walmart have been scammed into buying bogus cards which were sold at their stores. If a card is being sold at a lower than usual price there's a very good chance it's bogus.

Wherever you buy, on receipt of the card you should verify it's authenticity. Some brands have their own process for that but all can be checked with the h2testw freeware which will show what the cards true specs are. If the specs it shows are what is advertised for the card then you've got the real deal. The usual scam is with card capacity,where they use the card's OS file to make the device the card is put in think it's detected a larger card which is what it was sold as when the actual capacity is less. But there are other scams too so just know your source and verify the card.

Phil

Amazon is safe to buy from but you have to know how the system works and what to watch out for. All but one of my 8 or so cards came from there and all are genuine. My Transcends came directly from the Transcend store on Amazon, and of course every Samsung EVO Select comes from there since those are an Amazon-only brand (otherwise identical to the EVO Plus).

In every step of the sale you have to watch and make sure the seller hasn't changed on you. On a generic listing it might start out with Transcend then be switched to someone else who has the product in stock or who is cheaper or who has made more sales recently. This rarely happens when you buy from the store's page but happens often when you buy from a product listing page. Also safe is to buy when the product is being "fulfilled by Amazon" since that means they are the involved store themselves and they only buy those items direct from the manufacturer or the manufacturer's approved source (often abbreviated as "FBA")

In fact, you're more likely to get a bogus card from almost every other source than from Amazon provided you watch the seller as I've noted above. But if you buy otherwise from Amazon, or buy from Ebay, There's a serious risk you'll get a bogus card,and even huge retailers like Best Buy and Walmart have been scammed into buying bogus cards which were sold at their stores. If a card is being sold at a lower than usual price there's a very good chance it's bogus.

Wherever you buy, on receipt of the card you should verify it's authenticity. Some brands have their own process for that but all can be checked with the h2testw freeware which will show what the cards true specs are. If the specs it shows are what is advertised for the card then you've got the real deal. The usual scam is with card capacity,where they use the card's OS file to make the device the card is put in think it's detected a larger card which is what it was sold as when the actual capacity is less. But there are other scams too so just know your source and verify the card.

Phil

Amazon has gotten so many fakes mixed into their inventory, it isn't funny. Rear reviews of people purchasing microsd cards on Amazon. It's scary. I'll stick to buying direct from the manufacturer or a big box. The little extra I save isn't worth having to risk losing important data.

Amazon itself doesn't, but independent sellers there do, which is why I explained the difference. And many if not most Amazon buyers do not understand how they operate, which is why so many people get screwed over there. The EVO select is made by Samsung for only Amazon and bought by Amazon itself with no middle-man involved to sneak in fakes. Unless a shipper opens packages and swaps the cards out, or someone within Amazon's warehouse swaps them, it is impossible to get a fake EVO Select from Amazon. The same applies when you buy directly from a manufacturer's Amazon store like Transcend. It's clear that even after my explanation you don't understand this either :(

Amazon would do well to reform a lot of it's procedures but I can't force that- all I can do is to try to help spread the information of how to avoid getting fake cards from there in hopes that it will save someone from the problem. Fakes do happen, and they happen on Amazon and elsewhere too including 'big box' stores. Buying direct from manufacturers isn't always a viable option available to everyone even though it's possible for those of us in the US and many other countries.

So no matter where you buy your cards, you should take the extra steps to verify that they are not fake before putting them into service. Being mass-produced there's also a chance a defective card may sneak past QC efforts and end up in your hands too. If you do this testing immediately on receipt of the card you stand a better chance of getting things made right. Trust but verify, and do that even with trustworthy sources which can include Amazon if you understand how to avoid their self-created problems. And if you don't know something for certain I'd ask that you don't post it here on DCT unless you make it clear that it's an opinion and not verifiable fact ;)

Phil

Amazon itself doesn't, but independent sellers there do, which is why I explained the difference. And many if not most Amazon buyers do not understand how they operate, which is why so many people get screwed over there. The EVO select is made by Samsung for only Amazon and bought by Amazon itself with no middle-man involved to sneak in fakes. Unless a shipper opens packages and swaps the cards out, or someone within Amazon's warehouse swaps them, it is impossible to get a fake EVO Select from Amazon. The same applies when you buy directly from a manufacturer's Amazon store like Transcend. It's clear that even after my explanation you don't understand this either :(

Amazon would do well to reform a lot of it's procedures but I can't force that- all I can do is to try to help spread the information of how to avoid getting fake cards from there in hopes that it will save someone from the problem. Fakes do happen, and they happen on Amazon and elsewhere too including 'big box' stores. Buying direct from manufacturers isn't always a viable option available to everyone even though it's possible for those of us in the US and many other countries.

So no matter where you buy your cards, you should take the extra steps to verify that they are not fake before putting them into service. Being mass-produced there's also a chance a defective card may sneak past QC efforts and end up in your hands too. If you do this testing immediately on receipt of the card you stand a better chance of getting things made right. Trust but verify, and do that even with trustworthy sources which can include Amazon if you understand how to avoid their self-created problems. And if you don't know something for certain I'd ask that you don't post it here on DCT unless you make it clear that it's an opinion and not verifiable fact ;)

Phil

100% correct

Back