USB Cable to Rear Camera Just Short

alanyeebiu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey All,

I recently installed my A229 Pro, but the USB C cable to the rear camera is just slightly too short. Since the car has a hatch, I had to route it through a rubber grommet that leads to the rear windshield. I had to use the grommet on the right in my particular car, because the left grommet was too packed. Although I was able to connect it, there is a lot of pressure on the connector and cable end, since there was basically no slack at all. Trying to figure out the best way to handle this, since I assume Viofo doesn't make a longer cable (?)

I see that the USB C to C extension cables would be potentially dangerous, and not comply with USB standards. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any proper ways I can go about extending the cable. I was considering a USB C hub or going from C to A adapter, then connect an A to C cable to that. Don't know how acceptable the latter method is though. I assume the rear camera isn't drawing a ton of power, but couldn't find the spec for it.

Thanks in advance

Hey All,

I recently installed my A229 Pro, but the USB C cable to the rear camera is just slightly too short. Since the car has a hatch, I had to route it through a rubber grommet that leads to the rear windshield. I had to use the grommet on the right in my particular car, because the left grommet was too packed. Although I was able to connect it, there is a lot of pressure on the connector and cable end, since there was basically no slack at all. Trying to figure out the best way to handle this, since I assume Viofo doesn't make a longer cable (?)

I see that the USB C to C extension cables would be potentially dangerous, and not comply with USB standards. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any proper ways I can go about extending the cable. I was considering a USB C hub or going from C to A adapter, then connect an A to C cable to that. Don't know how acceptable the latter method is though. I assume the rear camera isn't drawing a ton of power, but couldn't find the spec for it.

Thanks in advance
You need to buy a cable of the length you need.
Extension cords and non-original cables will not work.

Thanks all for the input. I see they included a 6M cable, so its good to know they also offer longer cables. Will look into that.

We carry the 6M, 8M and 10M cables for the A229 Pro/Plus as well.

Did you route the cable up along the roof line or down along the floor? 99.9% of the time 6M cables will be plenty long enough for most vehicles if they are routed up along the roof.

Reactions: Mtz
Thanks for the tip. It was run from the floor back up through the rear door and pillar. For whatever reason, every install guide on my car has it done this way.

Thanks for the tip. It was run from the floor back up through the rear door and pillar. For whatever reason, every install guide on my car has it done this way.
I’d reroute it up along the roof, then you should have plenty of length.

What kind of vehicle do you have, a stretch limo? I have a 2020 Subaru Forester, and I had plenty of cable left over.

Nothing crazy, just a CX5. Must just be because of the mix of going through the right grommet and that particular route on the interior. Its unfortunate, because it still almost worked. Only off by what seems like a few inches, but I had maxed it out with no slack.

Looks like you installed it over the radio antenna grid and missed the defogger. If your window fogs you may be blind to the rear for a while.

Ok, but for others mounting rear cams. If you mount lower in between the defogger grids you will also get less glass reflections from inside. The kind that CPL filters eliminate since we don't have that option with these Viofo rear cams unless you DIY something. I try to get the best image from the rear as I can. Had to use the defogger a lot this damp winter here this year.

I added a 90 degree usb-c adapter to my rear camera, works just fine, just get a short extension cable from amazon and see if it'll work.

View attachment 69909
I have also added a usb C to usb C 90 degree adapter to the rewr camera of my A229 plus. Working just fine. That is one complaint about the A229 plus for me. I think Viofo should have made the rear cable usb C on both ends.

Hi, could you please provide the brand and model of that 90 degree connector?
I

MOGOOD USB C 90 Degree Adapter C Male to C Female USB C Extender Right Angle USB c Adapter Type-C Data Transmission PD100W Fast Charging and 8K@60Hz Video Pass Through,for steam Deck Accessories. I bought mine from Amazon .au​

Search Amazon and you should be right to go. You could get them cheaper from Aliexpress or temu if you like.

I have also added a usb C to usb C 90 degree adapter to the rewr camera of my A229 plus. Working just fine. That is one complaint about the A229 plus for me. I think Viofo should have made the rear cable usb C on both ends.
Viofo made the cable to the rear camera the way it should be: on one side of the cable the plug is straight, and on the other side it is angled.
When the T130 model was released, Viofo made a cable to the rear camera with angled plugs at both ends. But after user complaints,
the cable was redesigned. And since then, the cables to the rear cameras have one angled plug and one straight plug.

Viofo made the cable to the rear camera the way it should be: on one side of the cable the plug is straight, and on the other side it is angled.
When the T130 model was released, Viofo made a cable to the rear camera with angled plugs at both ends. But after user complaints,
the cable was redesigned. And since then, the cables to the rear cameras have one angled plug and one straight plug.
Thanks for the info. In my case it would have been better with both ends usintg 90 degree ends , but it is what it is. I just bought a 90 degree usb adapter and it works perfectly and looks much neater.

I’d reroute it up along the roof, then you should have plenty of length.

One of the reason to route it along the floor is to minimise the risk of the air bag deployment ripping the cable and camera out if in an accident. One of the reasons used here in the UK

Back