Viofo A119 Pre Production Sample Blog ( I'm calling it a blog )

The A119 mount doesn't fit the A118/C, just so everyone knows, it slides in, but really loosely. A118/C mount requires some modification to fit the A119 (not sure what modifications) according to some user(s).
Im using the A118c mount on my A119 ( hence ordering another for a spare )
You need to trim the edges of the A118 mount to fit the A119 , and ends up being a very tight fit .. ( Which I like )

Here you can see the color shift ( to blue )
Watch the Goodguys wall to see the shift , + you may see it in a few other places as well ...

Im using the A118c mount on my A119 ( hence ordering another for a spare )
You need to trim the edges of the A118 mount to fit the A119 , and ends up being a very tight fit .. ( Which I like )
yeah it's a bit too tight for me. yes, it'll prevent rattles but once the plastic starts to get soft in the summer heat (coming soon to a city near me!) it will deform and reshape it... and then when it cools back down, it'll be very loose. glad i got the real a119 mount... also glad i used double-lock tape to mount the camera - i couldn't slide the cam up off the modified a118 mount in the car and had to just snap off the double-lock.

i used tin-snips (aka aviation cutters/snippers) to cut about 2-3mm off each side and the bottom edge, and to round the bottom corners of the a118 mount to make it work in the a119.

left is original A118 mount, right is my modified one. the a118 mount had to be trimmed because it's too wide to fit into the recessed area on the back of the a119.
IMG_20160422_105925.jpg

but now that i have a real a119 mount, fit is much better. the camera sort of "clicks" onto the mount so it doesn't rattle, and is snug without being too tight like my modified mount was.

thankfully viofo also sent me a new a118 mount to replace the one i modified for testing the new camera, since i probably can't use the modified one on an a118 anymore - it'll probably allow the camera to shake, rattle and roll. :p

I use a bit of tape , to take up the free space on the A118c , as the camera mount does loosen over time ..
The tape helps tighten things up ...
This summer my windshield hit 70Deg Celsius .. ( 158 Fahrenheit )
I used one of those infra red temp guns to measure inside the car temperatures .. ( An eye opener for sure )
I now have a thermometer inside my car , to measure ambient and dash temperatures .. ( Another eye opener )

I used one of those infra red temp guns to measure inside the car temperatures .. ( An eye opener for sure )
I now have a thermometer inside my car , to measure ambient and dash temperatures .. ( Another eye opener )

sounds like you were previously driving around with both eyes closed :D

we checked temps on cars at the dealership one hot day (i think it was 103f that day). there were two identical brand new cars parked next to each other that had been there since the previous day. the only difference was one was white and the other was black. we opened them at 4pm (hottest part of the day) and measured temps. the exterior paint on the black one was about 180f. white one was only 145f. interior of black car was 160f. white one was 135f.

they say the color of your car doesn't matter in terms of fuel economy, but after that simple test, i'd have to say a dark colored car will use more fuel in the summer because the a/c has to work harder.

Video - 2nd part is the newer firmware ( 2nd update )

Video - 2nd part is the newer firmware ( 2nd update )
What are those weird green rectangular patches on the road surface that keep appearing at various places in the video footage. Was it visible with the naked eye or an aberration from the camera?

What are those weird green rectangular patches on the road surface that keep appearing at various places in the video footage. Was it visible with the naked eye or an aberration from the camera?
if you're talking about the green marks at about 1:30, it looks like well-worn green crosswalk markings - zebra stripes. must be alien zebras though. ;) and they don't seem to line up with a break in the curb, nor does there look like anything on the left that a crosswalk would be needed for. maybe that's how they identify areas which you should go slow in oz?

too bad the cam is above the area cleared by the wipers... maybe you could fit a longer wiper on one side to fix that?

Higher quality video , old new firmware first ...

The green ??? I'll have to grab some footage from another cam for comparison ...

Yes old faded green lines ( wow I was up late last night )

3rd Firmware VS A261

AUSDOM A261 seems to have better image, more details and better colors.

- Did you enable HDR/WDR on both units?
- this units seems to have the same FOV, but AUSDOM A261 says Horizontal 106°; Diagonal 130° and Viofo A119 says 160° FOV. You cropped both videos (top and down) for sure but did you also crop Viofo video at right / left?

Last edited:
AUSDOM A261 seems to have better image, more details and better colors.

- Did you enable HDR/WDR on both units?
- this units seems to have the same FOV, but AUSDOM A261 says Horizontal 106°; Diagonal 130° and Viofo A119 says 160° FOV. You cropped both videos (top and down) for sure but did you also crop Viofo video at right / left?

WDR not enabled ... Still need to test this , but in the Ausdom I found it did noting for IQ ( WDR )
Crop is top and bottom , not the sides ..

I have a fair bit of WDR enabled video footage ...
Will post some tomorrow ( 6-5-16 )

WDR ------

I will post a few more as time permits ( been very busy this week )

WDR @ night

Ok looks like the BETA test is over ...

There is just one thing I would like to mention ...
The Micro SD card .... It needs or should I say wants to be protruding about 1mm more out from the side of the cam body to make inserting and removing the micro SD card easier ...

Hi. I too had some trouble when inserting the microsd card but with a little more patience I now can do it easy.
P.S. Why did you wrote "the beta test is over"?

Hi. I too had some trouble when inserting the microsd card but with a little more patience I now can do it easy.
P.S. Why did you wrote "the beta test is over"?

Viofo is moving to the GPS version ... + There are some changes , not sure how hardware is affected ( Lens for Starters ) .
So there may be no more Firmware updates .. As the changes may be enough for incompatibility

Back