Viofo A229 / Vantrue S1 Pro side by side (Part 2 - Night)

kawayanan

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the second part of my earlier post looking at the Viofo A229 and the Vantrue S1 Pro. Last time I looked at their side by side performance during the daytime, and now at night. I will not, none of these comparison are on dark roads, but instead in city areas with some street lights (so not completely dark). I have not made any significant changes in the settings on either, which will probably be the next post of the comparison (HDR, bitrate, etc.).

Similar to the daytime comparison, I have a video putting both systems (front and back) together for comparison.

Again, the front camera on both are running at 2K, with the Vantrue S1 Pro being the Sony Starvis 2 and the Viofo A229 being the Sony Starvis. A bit like the day comparison, I think I will give the edge to the Vantrue. Here are some cropped frames for comparison (Vantrue is first and Viofo second):

Frame-01297(crop).png Frame-01203(crop).png
The Viofo doesn't do as well with the headlight brightness here. For reference, this is approaching a car at about 5MPH while it is just leaving a stop.

Frame-02753(crop).pngFrame-02660(crop).png
This is at a stoplight, just after it turned green, with both my truck and the car in front of me stopped (best case scenario to get license plates). Again the Viofo has a little more trouble with bright lights and dark areas, and the Vantrue seems a bit crisper.

Frame-05372(crop).pngFrame-05279(crop).png
This one is on the freeway, moving at ~60 MPH. Again the Vantrue seems to do slightly better on crispness and balancing light vs dark areas.

One thing that I hadn't noticed last time was the difference in field of view. When I do the crops, they are taken from single frames of the same size, and I crop them down the same (e.g. 400x350 pixels). They are mounted side by side, so the difference in angle or view is only slight. When trying to match the crops however, it became noticeable that the Viofo has a wide view (wider lenses I think). On the last two cropped pictures you can see that the Viofo (second picture) has more in the picture that the Vantrue, event though they are cropped to the same width and height. Its not a that much different, and I don't know that it make any real world difference, just something I noticed when try to match crops.

When we look at the rear view, there is a difference in resolution (Vantrue is 1080p vs 2k for the Viofo). I am not sure of the technical details or how true it is, but I have heard that some people claim that lower resolution can sometimes do better at night. (the same amount of light being spread across a smaller sensor resolution?) Here are the rear camera comparisons (again, Vantrue first, Viofo second):

Frame-01507(crop).pngFrame-01426(crop).png
This one is at a stop sign, so both vehicles moving slow and being pretty close. The Vantrue is crisper, even with the lower resolution, noticeable easily on the Lowe's sign in the back.

Frame-02486(crop).pngFrame-02395(crop).png
This is a car moving past my passenger side. These are cropped to the same number of pixels, with the Vantrue having a slightly broader view within the same pixel area. The Vantrue is again a bit clearer, especially on the signs in the background.

Overall, the Vantrue S1 Pro and the Viofo A229 Duo are pretty comparable so far. In the day, the Viofo's 2K rear performed a little better than the Vantrue, but reverse at night. For the front with both at 2k, the Vantrue might be a little crisper (maybe the Starvis 2 sensor). I haven't made any changes to the default setting like HDR, whcih I think is off in both (I know the Viofo is off, and I think the Vantrue is as well but I'm not sure).

The last thing I am hoping to compare before I move them to their permanent home in separate vehicles is to update the firmware and adjust settings (HDR and higher bitrates). That will be in a new past later...

Back