What amp should the lukas be running on?

sausagedelay

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I bought a piggy-back fuse or add-a-circuit. I read in other forums that a dashcam should be on 3A or 5A (can someone clarify) but the lowest amps of any fuse in my car is 7.5A, so will it be alright if I put my lukas dashcam on a 7.5A fuse? Also, do I need a step down adapter as I've read that a high voltage may damage the dashcam?

P.S. I drive a Mazda 3, 2007 model

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Yes that will be fine.
No you don't need step down adapters or any thing else.
If you are using the Lukas hardwire kit, then it doesn't even matter what size of fuse you give your piggybacked circuit. The lukas hardwire kit has a inline 3mA fuse.

I know this is probably confusing, but don't worry to much about what fuse you decide to piggy back off of. Just make sure you place the existing fuse in the current slot on the fuse adapter.
This thread should help you understand.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/piggy-back-fuseholders-a-right-way-and-a-wrong-way.7524/

Whoa on the step down

Most dashcams I see have a usb connection at the camera that is five volts (5V). The provided power cord typically takes the twelve volt (12V) from the car plug and transforms the voltage to 5V inside the plug and includes an inline fuse. So, if you use an add-a-fuse with loose 12V socket and the provided cord, you will be powering and protecting the dashcam as intended by the manufacturer. If you run the 12V car power directly to the camera, you'll be buying another. Many here use a 12v to usb adapter, but some have experienced discouraging consequences resulting from poor quality or other miss match.

Good luck

Yes that will be fine.
No you don't need step down adapters or any thing else.
If you are using the Lukas hardwire kit, then it doesn't even matter what size of fuse you give your piggybacked circuit. The lukas hardwire kit has a inline 3mA fuse.

I know this is probably confusing, but don't worry to much about what fuse you decide to piggy back off of. Just make sure you place the existing fuse in the current slot on the fuse adapter.
This thread should help you understand.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/piggy-back-fuseholders-a-right-way-and-a-wrong-way.7524/

Thanks a lot Robert, your two messages really helped me clarify things! :)

Whoa on the step down

Most dashcams I see have a usb connection at the camera that is five volts (5V). The provided power cord typically takes the twelve volt (12V) from the car plug and transforms the voltage to 5V inside the plug and includes an inline fuse. So, if you use an add-a-fuse with loose 12V socket and the provided cord, you will be powering and protecting the dashcam as intended by the manufacturer. If you run the 12V car power directly to the camera, you'll be buying another. Many here use a 12v to usb adapter, but some have experienced discouraging consequences resulting from poor quality or other miss match.

Good luck

Yep I'll be using the add-a-fuse and provided card together, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to this thread :)

Back