When can I remove my SD card.?

frank benek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plugged into my cigarette lighter power source, which is powered on/off with ignition. After a trip, on ignition shutdown, I wait perhaps 30 seconds before removing the sd card. On playback, the last MOV segment is unplayable (see captures). If I wait a minute or so, then there's no problem, so I'm assuming there's some kind of delay factor in saving the file. The above has occurred with a G1WC. Now that I moved up to a SG9665GC (Fantastic Quality Upgrade), I'm having the same issues ONLY now the last MOV segment is always corrupted no matter how long I wait after shutdown to remove the card. Is it necessary for me to physically turn off the camera power before removing the card.? Pse forgive the lengthy tyrade, and Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• Screenshot - 4_14_2016 , 3_44_38 PM.png
    Screenshot - 4_14_2016 , 3_44_38 PM.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot - 4_14_2016 , 3_45_12 PM.png
    Screenshot - 4_14_2016 , 3_45_12 PM.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 10
After the power is turned off, the leds are lit for 4-5 seconds. When they went out, the DVR has already closed the file. You can remove the card. Firstly, check, whether the lamps are lit after the power is turned off.
You can do one more test. Before turning off the ignition, press and hold the ON button until the lights go out. After that, get a card.

Last edited:
is the camera actually powered down when you turn ignition off? theres no delay of any kind keeping the camera on for a certain period when you turn ignition off?? as soon as all lights go off on cam you can remove card.

... After a trip, on ignition shutdown, I wait perhaps 30 seconds before removing the sd card. On playback, the last MOV segment is unplayable (see captures). If I wait a minute or so, then there's no problem, so I'm assuming there's some kind of delay factor in saving the file. ...
I sounds to me like your vehicle may have a feature called Retained Accessory Power (or something like that) that keeps power to accessory circuits for some period of time after the engine is shut off. If that's the case then what is happening is you're removing the card while it's being written which will cause file corruption.

Check your car's owner's manual and see if that's the case and how it actually works. I know on my car it will retain power for 10 minutes or until a door is opened. If, on the off chance, it will keep power for a fixed period you only option may well be to manually turn the camera off.

I'm having the same issues ONLY now the last MOV segment is always corrupted no matter how long I wait after shutdown to remove the card. Is it necessary for me to physically turn off the camera power before removing the card.?

can you confirm a few things for me

when you power off the car do the LED lights on the camera go off immediately, do they stay lit, or do they stay lit a few seconds?

what is the make and model of memory card you're using?

are you using the included cig lead power adapter?

My car's 12v socket remains live after turning off the ignition even if I remove the key, but the socket switches off as soon as I open my door. The socket then remains off until I put the key in the ignition and move the key to the first notch.

Plugged into my cigarette lighter power source, which is powered on/off with ignition. After a trip, on ignition shutdown, I wait perhaps 30 seconds before removing the sd card. On playback, the last MOV segment is unplayable (see captures). If I wait a minute or so, then there's no problem, so I'm assuming there's some kind of delay factor in saving the file. The above has occurred with a G1WC. Now that I moved up to a SG9665GC (Fantastic Quality Upgrade), I'm having the same issues ONLY now the last MOV segment is always corrupted no matter how long I wait after shutdown to remove the card. Is it necessary for me to physically turn off the camera power before removing the card.? Pse forgive the lengthy tyrade, and Thanks in Advance

Try to pull out cigarette lighter charger from socket, this way you rule out Retained Accessory Power - thing as @2000rpm mentioned.

Try to pull out cigarette lighter charger from socket, this way you rule out Retained Accessory Power - thing as @2000rpm mentioned.
With the dead-battery B40 cam I currently have in my car, I had the same issue; had to manually turn off the cam with the car running, then kill the ignition, otherwise the last file corrupts. I would definitely be testing for the RAP situation in your car.

Problem Solved. Checked owners manual, and yes I do have the RAP feature which allegedly maintains power for the Audio System, Power Windows and Sun Roof. Since the light on my power adapter stays on when key removed, it must work that also. Tried everyone's suggestion today, and found the easiest way to ensure last video segment was saved was to deactivate the RAP feature by simply opening the door before removing the card (go figure). Never heard of this 'retained accessory power' feature before upgrading from a 2000 to a 2013 GMC. Now if only I could find a simple way to use my cargo area's power outlet to power a camera for my rear window without the need to always "pull the plug". Thanks again for everyone's help. Regards.

...Now if only I could find a simple way to use my cargo area's power outlet to power a camera for my rear window without the need to always "pull the plug".....
Do you have one in the rear seat area you could use? Usually they are switched the same as in the front versus being full time live like in the cargo area.

Now if only I could find a simple way to use my cargo area's power outlet to power a camera for my rear window without the need to always "pull the plug". Thanks again for everyone's help. Regards.

if you're at the camera to take cards out you can press and hold the power button and it will stop recording and power down and you can safely remove the card then

just don't forget tot turn it back on again when you put card in, if power is not removed, it wont restart automatically.

Do you have one in the rear seat area you could use? Usually they are switched the same as in the front versus being full time live like in the cargo area.
Hadn't thought about the rear seat one. Great Idea ! Thanks

Hadn't thought about the rear seat one. Great Idea ! Thanks
What I did was use one of these along with a couple of 15 foot USB cables to run both the front and rear cams from the rear seat accessory outlet. I just ran the cables under floor mats, behind trim, etc. to get it to the camera.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00MSYQ94W

Last edited:
Back