A119 Mini 2 - Doesnt Power on unless I unplug it first

Vegas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just installed my first Dashcam. Works great except that I have to unplug it to get it to turn on it. Wont power cycle at all by pushing the buttons.

Using a Dongar connection - Tried the Delay start to see if that helped - no go

Any advice?

Thx

Just installed my first Dashcam. Works great except that I have to unplug it to get it to turn on it. Wont power cycle at all by pushing the buttons.

Any advice?

Thx
Are you adjusting the setting via the app or the camera? Also, do you get the energy from the adapter that comes in the box? Which memory card are you using?

Hi,

All cables (including those from the box) require them to be unplugged after turning the car on... then replugged into the cam. The cam then works 100% fine. Its a pain in the butt to reach out and do that after every start.

I'm doing the config via the app as I found navigating the screen to be cumbersome

Hi,

All cables (including those from the box) require them to be unplugged after turning the car on... then replugged into the cam. The cam then works 100% fine. Its a pain in the butt to reach out and do that after every start.

I'm doing the config via the app as I found navigating the screen to be cumbersome
How is your car's battery condition? so it works on long start? In another case, if the 12v socket power is cut off and re-energized at the start, the camera may not turn on. it looks like it's freezing. If there is no problem when you test it with a socket or powerbank at home, it can be completely associated with the start of your vehicle. yes, there is a late start option for this, but if there is a momentary interruption at the start, the camera will be surprised to start again. This is how they can be.. I hope it helps.

Battery is good - Brand new car.

The Dashcam never works when the car is turned on. It always requires me to unplug the usb c and then replug it. It then works fine.

The delay start option on the cam doesnt seem to have any impact on this issue. When delay is turned on it. It still wont power on when the car starts. Instead its just a delayed start after unplugging and replugging in the usb c

Battery is good - Brand new car.

The Dashcam never works when the car is turned on. It always requires me to unplug the usb c and then replug it. It then works fine.

The delay start option on the cam doesnt seem to have any impact on this issue. When delay is turned on it. It still wont power on when the car starts. Instead its just a delayed start after unplugging and replugging in the usb c
Can you try this with no memory card in the camera? Which card are you using?

Also

Bring the unit indoors and plug it into a mobile phone charger ...... does it then power on without issue ?

If so you have a car power problem and you'll need to find another reliable power source

The Dashcam always works with a "fresh" plug in. Its when the power source is turned off and then on. The camera wont turn back on until a replug in happens.

Card is a Sandisk Extreme 256

Ah, right.

That sounds to me like you may have a stop/start car.

This is a known phenomenon where the cut in power, when the engine cranks, puts the dashcam into shutdown mode, and power is restored during shutdown which the dashcam ignores because it's shutting down.

If so, you will probably find that at the next stop/start it will power up again. But not the next time, and so on.

The answer is to find a circuit not affected by the starter motor crank.

Multimeter at the fusebox

Maybe try delayed shutdown, if the camera has it?

I'll look for a delayed shutdown - Dont remember seeing it. Delayed start doesnt seem to help. Parking mode on or off doesnt seem to matter either.

Trying to avoid having to buy another Dashcam like the Garmin Mini to compare against.

I appreciate everyone's insights

What is the vehicle make and model? Or can you share an image that shows your connection type and where you get power?

Using a Dongar connection
Could be that there is not enough power in there, but it is OK second attempt because it has already charged its supercap.
I would give it a test with the supplied power adaptor, just to make sure it is not a camera fault.

Maybe try delayed shutdown, if the camera has it?
VIOFO dash cameras do not have a delayed shutdown feature. When the constant power to the power adapter is turned off and thus the main power to the dash camera is turned off, the dash camera initiates an immediate shutdown of the dash camera.

VIOFO dash cameras do not have a delayed shutdown feature. When the constant power to the power adapter is turned off and thus the main power to the dash camera is turned off, the dash camera initiates an immediate shutdown of the dash camera.
That is the behavior that I'm seeing. It just doesnt start back up when I turn my car back on. (Until I unplug the USB c and then replug it in)

Have you tried restoring factory settings and then pressing the reset button for 5 seconds? Finally, what is your firmware?

Have you tried restoring factory settings and then pressing the reset button for 5 seconds? Finally, what is your firmware?
No I havent tried a factory reset. Brand new camera - but sure it's worth a try thx.

Firmware - I started with V1.0_20230605 but switched to V1.0 Build 20230801 that I saw posted on another thread. The newer firmware didnt fix it.

The Dashcam always works with a "fresh" plug in. Its when the power source is turned off and then on. The camera wont turn back on until a replug in happens.

Card is a Sandisk Extreme 256
What method do you use to supply the power? If you use the original car charger in the package and plug it into the cigarette light to supply power, can the camera be turned on automatically when your car is turned on? Is there a Stop & Start function on your car? If yes, please turn it off to confirm if the camera will work well. The camera may not make a fast reaction when your car is turned off and turned on in a very short time, so you need to replug it to let it on. If there is a Stop&Start function and you want to use it, you can hardwire it with our HK4 hardwire kit. Then the camera gets power from your battery directly, and you can choose a 90-second delay in entering parking mode. The camera will work as it should and will not turn off when you stop your car at a traffic light.

Last edited:
I'm using a dongar mirror adapter. It seems to have the same behavior with any power source in the car that shuts down when the car does

Back