A229 Pro Overheating

gokumars

Reaction score
Country
Australia

I can tell you mine is fine driving but parked, it's constantly overheating with parking mode on regardless of what settings it's on, even in 25 degree Celsius days. I've tried low bit rate, I've tried low resolution, I've tried event based detection (really power hungry, hmm wonder if that's why it's HOT), time lapse isn't good enough for events. I'm now seriously considering adding a PROPER heatsink / fan and some thermal shading to the section of glass, as it's getting ridiculous and 40C days are coming soon here. I'd love to hear from someone who's found a solution, since I have the latest firmware and it's still the same. The images are amazing though lol.

I'd love a solution that isn't get a 2k camera instead

I can tell you mine is fine driving but parked, it's constantly overheating with parking mode on regardless of what settings it's on, even in 25 degree Celsius days. I've tried low bit rate, I've tried low resolution, I've tried event based detection (really power hungry, hmm wonder if that's why it's HOT), time lapse isn't good enough for events. I'm now seriously considering adding a PROPER heatsink / fan and some thermal shading to the section of glass, as it's getting ridiculous and 40C days are coming soon here. I'd love to hear from someone who's found a solution, since I have the latest firmware and it's still the same. The images are amazing though lol.

I'd love a solution that isn't get a 2k camera instead
i would guess there must be something wrong if it is overheating that easily. Do i dare ask what SD card you are using?

i would guess there must be something wrong if it is overheating that easily. Do i dare ask what SD card you are using?

I'm using this, from the recommended list;
SanDisk 512GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, 5K, A2, Micro SD Card - SDSQXAV-512G-GN6MA

I'm using this, from the recommended list;
SanDisk 512GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, 5K, A2, Micro SD Card - SDSQXAV-512G-GN6MA
Would you mind changing a card to have a try? According to our experience, the Sandisk Extreme card is unstable when used on the 4K camera. So we have added a tip to this picture recently:
1704854520591.png

I can, and will change it for the Sandisk Max endurance 256GB but since they don't have a 512GB and that warning was not there when I ordered the dashcam, that's a bit disappointing. Just to be sure from more wasted funds, please confirm that this part number IS on the recommended list.

‎SDSQQVR-256G-GN6IA

What channel configuration are you using?
1-CH
2-CH Rear
2-CH IR Interior
3-CH

You may want to purchase a 64GB Viofo SD Card to diagnose this issue.
Non-Viofo SD Cards are more likely to be counterfeit.

Can you describe the overheating issue in more detail?
Does the camera remain powered on, but not recording / beeping?
Does the camera display an overheating message on the LCD screen?
Does the camera just shut off?
Have you checked the recorded footage to see how long it records in parking mode before the malfunction occurs?

If you still need help you may submit a support ticket here;

@Panzer Platform

2-ch rear

counterfeit? I'm using SanDisk cards as I work in the electronics industry and have controlled supply chain options, if they're counterfeit that would be a bigger problem for work than me.
The camera powers off, given the time involved I don't know what the screen says, haven't paid enough attention to it.
The time is random, the recordings are fine but do just switch off as the day heats up. The recording is event based so more often than not, they are not stopping during recording, during IDLE operation, as found from tests of this dash cam, they draw almost the same power during parking mode as they do during full operation, so that would translate to the same heat regardless of function.

I'm not using viofo cards as I can't verify their full chain from production to my hand, not to sound weird, but I do require that for memory cards, hence Sandisk.

The quality is spectacular in full recording mode, so I'm hoping changing the card will allow that quality recording for parking mode as well. I'll see if I can source a thermal data logger to help diagnose this in more detail, but it's hard to sit in a car for hours on end waiting lol. The issue does not occur in a cool environment, so I understand it is heat, but I didn't realise the memory card was such a factor for heat. Maybe memory cards need a heatsink/heatpipe and fan ?

I'd honestly be happy to double the size of the case if it had to be to include a serious thermal solution, or perhaps this is indicative of needing a low resolution low power camera to trigger events for parking mode, that was my next goto lol.

Last edited:
@Panzer Platform

2-ch rear

counterfeit? I'm using SanDisk cards as I work in the electronics industry and have controlled supply chain options, if they're counterfeit that would be a bigger problem for work than me.
The camera powers off, given the time involved I don't know what the screen says, haven't paid enough attention to it.
The time is random, the recordings are fine but do just switch off as the day heats up. The recording is event based so more often than not, they are not stopping during recording, during IDLE operation, as found from tests of this dash cam, they draw almost the same power during parking mode as they do during full operation, so that would translate to the same heat regardless of function.

I'm not using viofo cards as I can't verify their full chain from production to my hand, not to sound weird, but I do require that for memory cards, hence Sandisk.

The quality is spectacular in full recording mode, so I'm hoping changing the card will allow that quality recording for parking mode as well. I'll see if I can source a thermal data logger to help diagnose this in more detail, but it's hard to sit in a car for hours on end waiting lol. The issue does not occur in a cool environment, so I understand it is heat, but I didn't realise the memory card was such a factor for heat. Maybe memory cards need a heatsink/heatpipe and fan ?

I'd honestly be happy to double the size of the case if it had to be to include a serious thermal solution, or perhaps this is indicative of needing a low resolution low power camera to trigger events for parking mode, that was my next goto lol.

Apparently heat can slow down some sd cards according to Viofo. I haven't tested that.

I expect your source is probably better than mine - Officeworks lol

I can't afford a 512GB card so unfortunately haven't been able to test what happens with them.

As far as heat goes the A229 Pro has a " large " Heat sink that also goes over the processor and extends over the memory card. No doubt in attempt to reduce heat.

I wonder if you would experience the same problem with 128GB? Just throwing it out there.

Cheers.

as found from tests of this dash cam, they draw almost the same power during parking mode as they do during full operation, so that would translate to the same heat regardless of function.
Incorrect.
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear Power Consumption;
Normal Recording: 6 Watts
AED Parking Mode: 5 Watts
See attached chart from RCG530.
I'm not using viofo cards
I fully agree 100% we should be able to use any SD Card we want that meets speed / rating classification, (this is not reality).
When it comes to SD Cards in Viofo Dash Cams;
“You can be right, or you can be happy”
Just like any ex-wife will tel you. Lol
Users on this forum have been driven mad with SD Card issues.
Using a Viofo SD Card can eliminate this variable.
Viofo SD Cards are like divorce, exorbitantly expensive but worth every penny. Lol

Worst case scenario this camera may be useless in parking mode in summer heat 40℃ / 104℉ or above.
If parking mode is your priority you may want to return it within your return policy period, and look for other options.

Attachments

• viofo_a229_pro_power_2ch_fr_20231013.png
    viofo_a229_pro_power_2ch_fr_20231013.png
    735.1 KB · Views: 55
Sometimes heat is transferred not from the DVR to the memory card, but vice versa.
If the memory card has insufficient writing speed, it heats up so much that when you remove it from the DVR it is impossible to hold it in your hands.

Parking is probably about 30% of the weighting of choice so significant, but not enough to sway from driving image conditions, else I'd have looked at the Thinkview with their amazing parking modes. I'll acquiesce to trying different cards before I do anything else though.

Interesting they have a large heatsink inside, is it just then a possible lack of space for a decent fan? Ah the obsession with small size electronics, I feel old missing big heatsinks and huge slow fans. Thanks all, will try another card and see how it goes on the weekend!

Interesting they have a large heatsink inside, is it just then a possible lack of space for a decent fan?
It is not lack of space, main issue is that it is too hot in there for a fan to work reliably, the lubricant on the bearings will dry up too fast, and the second issue is that fan noise is not good for the audio recordings!

The answer is more efficient processors, and radar sensors for parking mode...

Interesting they have a large heatsink inside, is it just then a possible lack of space for a decent fan?
A number of DCT members have experimented with adding fans to dash cams using various designs and types of fans including very tiny ones that are otherwise rated to be extremely quiet for most installations but within the small confines of a dash cam housing they tend to sound like a jet engine in the audio recordings.

How can you tell that the unit has overheated?

Would you mind changing a card to have a try? According to our experience, the Sandisk Extreme card is unstable when used on the 4K camera. So we have added a tip to this picture recently:
View attachment 70167
If @viofo @VIOFO-Support is going to make a change like this on their website. They should be telling all their Authorized retailers who sell their product. It would be great to know what you found on why this SD card is unstable now?
I personally have used Sandisk Extreme Pro, & Viofo SD cards on all my (personal use) Viofo dash cameras with zero issues for over a year now. We only sell our customers VIOFO SD cards that way if there are any challenges with the Viofo dash camera it is all on VIOFO products offered.

I would like to see what process you are using to accept and rule out SD cards. Also would like to see you approve Samsung, and some other SD cards.

Well it isn't enough to change the card, it's turned off from heat again with the SDSQQVR-256G-GN6IA installed. This time even faster at less than 5 hours. The unit is attached to the windscreen directly, the outside temp was 23C at the beginning and 33C as of now. I've run this card over the weekend (ie in shade but in the same mode) and with simulated traffic to mimic the number of times it would need to switch on. The unit did NOT turn off at any time during this test. It is heat, the question is what next? I can get detailed data, but that will only help get to the extent of the problem.

I know it's beyond what is likely to happen, but can we have a VERY low resolution mode to trigger recording? I mean this
only draws 70mW, why do we need to draw so much power during standby?

I'll be trying a large standalone rechargeable fan tomorrow, as I expect 40C in the coming weeks, and I need this to survive. There's no shade, where I need to park, for more than an couple of hours at most.

I'm open to any other suggestions?

If @viofo @VIOFO-Support is going to make a change like this on their website. They should be telling all their Authorized retailers who sell their product. It would be great to know what you found on why this SD card is unstable now?
I personally have used Sandisk Extreme Pro, & Viofo SD cards on all my (personal use) Viofo dash cameras with zero issues for over a year now. We only sell our customers VIOFO SD cards that way if there are any challenges with the Viofo dash camera it is all on VIOFO products offered.

I would like to see what process you are using to accept and rule out SD cards. Also would like to see you approve Samsung, and some other SD cards.
I agree with everything you said.
But, you’re requesting common sense, and transparency.
That’s like asking government to be slightly less incompetent, and corrupt. Lol

Well it isn't enough to change the card, it's turned off from heat again with the SDSQQVR-256G-GN6IA installed. This time even faster at less than 5 hours. The unit is attached to the windscreen directly, the outside temp was 23C at the beginning and 33C as of now. I've run this card over the weekend (ie in shade but in the same mode) and with simulated traffic to mimic the number of times it would need to switch on. The unit did NOT turn off at any time during this test. It is heat, the question is what next? I can get detailed data, but that will only help get to the extent of the problem.

I know it's beyond what is likely to happen, but can we have a VERY low resolution mode to trigger recording? I mean this
only draws 70mW, why do we need to draw so much power during standby?

I'll be trying a large standalone rechargeable fan tomorrow, as I expect 40C in the coming weeks, and I need this to survive. There's no shade, where I need to park, for more than an couple of hours at most.

I'm open to any other suggestions?
I’m willing to bet Viofo will suggest using a Viofo brand SD Card. lol
If your rechargeable fan has lithium-ion batteries it might explode in a hot parked car.
What about a solar powered one like this, (see attached photos)?
Worst case scenario this camera may be useless in parking mode in summer heat direct sunlight.
If parking mode is your priority you may want to return it within your return policy period, and look for other options.

Attachments

• 4 .jpg
    4 .jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 7
@Panzer Platform that's probably a great idea, I'll try that as well.

@VIOFO-Support do I have to use a solar powered fan to assist cooling this? I've tried another card now, or is it time for official support call and return? I don't mean to be annoying, just want something that works

Back