A229 Pro Overheating

@viofo @VIOFO-Support You should make a "box" version of a229 pro or make a completely new starvis2 model where main processor ,sdcard and capacitors are stored separately in a box away from the cameras just like blackvue has their version dr770x box and upcoming dr970x box plus.

Just by removing electronic components from the windshield to anywhere else in the car you would automatically stop most overheating problems which are directly caused by sun in the summer.

Then we could mod it with better cooling OR it could come out of factory with way bigger heatsink and fan.

A fan on that wouldnt interfere with audio as audio would be pickedup from cameras. In my opinion with better processor better cooling it would also allow space for more channels and maybe more sdcard slots/expandable storage of somekind(usb c ssd or nvme ssd) in one box.

Still testing :)

Nice job.
You really have put some work into that mod.
Is the copper there to cool the capacitor and /or help transfer the heat from the main heatsink?

The external heatsink is a ripper.

Cheers.

Nice job.
You really have put some work into that mod.
Is the copper there to cool the capacitor and /or help transfer the heat from the main heatsink?

The external heatsink is a ripper.

Cheers.
For heat transferring only, parking mode temp decreased from 93 to 86 deg C (on chip, 3 channels, max settings).

But it's not the final version

Last edited:
I'm all for fixes, but should we give @VIOFO-Support a chance to correct this? If I brought this product to market, I'd want a chance to fix it. So come on Viofo, what's to be done here?

I'm all for fixes, but should we give @VIOFO-Support a chance to correct this? If I brought this product to market, I'd want a chance to fix it. So come on Viofo, what's to be done here?
They can only fiddle around with software fixes, in this case maybe lower detail or fps or something to slow down the cpu.

Well update from south Oz, @VIOFO-Support thank you for changing out the main unit. I've had it running for a little over a week and half now, including on a 39C day parked under the shade of a tree only, and it didn't switch off, or melt anything. I will probably fit a large fan (externally) for days that exceed this or when I'm forced to park in the direct sun above 30C all day, but otherwise, I'm really happy with the outcome. I realise it's a compromise but it's a compromise I can accept.

Thanks to everyone for helping and I hope everyone else has a similar positive experience.

Working near the temp threshold is not good, the dashcam will not work in next 1-2 years.
I agree.
But, it only needs to outlast the warranty period, (12-18 months). lol
Just kidding.

I agree.
But, it only needs to outlast the warranty period, (12-18 months). lol
Just kidding.
If it was a Nextbase camera, that would be the expected plan, but this is a Viofo...

My old 2ch A129 pro (parking mode mostly in 24degC, sometimes outdoor temp up to 33-36degC)
- Working very hot w AC in car :(
- Side power port died after 1 year
- Lost focus after 1.5 year due to heat, fixing by YT video
- Died after 2 years.
Good timing for Viofo to replace a new one

I do feel Viofo need to put some more zots into environmental robustness, especially temperature resistance - These cams will be living in the windscreen all their lives and will be in direct sunlight for most of the summer. They exchanged my 229 duo for two 119v3s (Again fantastic customer service in action!) because I just couldn't get it to work in summer - It would always lock up on warm days, and I hadn't even plugged in the rear camera! The only way to get it going was to unplug it and plug it in again while driving, after the AC had a chance to cool the car down, and this is in the UK so it wasn't even that hot compared to some countries!

I wonder if the A229 Plus might be better in this regard, given the lower resolution and likely putting less stress on the CPU.
Well update from south Oz, @VIOFO-Support thank you for changing out the main unit. I've had it running for a little over a week and half now, including on a 39C day parked under the shade of a tree only, and it didn't switch off, or melt anything.
Interesting. I wonder how much of this is an A229 Pro issue vs. heat tolerances between different copies of the dashcam.

While the normal recording quality on these cameras is really good, I would not recommend them for parking mode if you live in a hotter climate area.

A dashcam with camera and DVR separate is most likely the only solution. I currently run a Blackvue 770 Box for dedicated parking mode, while the viofo is for driving due to higher resolution and night time performance.

Ordered the 970 box to test out as well.

I wouldn't really recommend any camera for parking guard in a hot climate, well unless you park in a garage or something, but in the sun,,,,, no way i would put even the smallest Danish coin on that working.

Like i have said 700 and umpteen times, that would probably only work with a remote system and a main unit made large to accommodate a proper cooling solution better than a sliver of ALU or copper with a few fins in it.
I still have little faith in the remote systems i am aware off as they are with as small as possible main unit, and so still dont really have any worth while cooling, and only + would be you can put it out of direct sun, but i am still not sure that's enough with the temperatures a car can reach while parked in summer.

While the normal recording quality on these cameras is really good, I would not recommend them for parking mode if you live in a hotter climate area.
99% of all dash cams will overheat in parking mode under direct sunlight in 100℉ (37℃) weather.

99% of all dash cams will overheat in parking mode under direct sunlight in 100℉ (37℃) weather.
So far, haven’t had issues with a few remote lens setups:

Dual Street Guardian SGZC12RC in my glove compartment. These OG cameras still going

Blackvue DR770 box (hasn’t hit 100F yet tho) in the trunk spare tire compartment.

Just received the DR970 box and will try to make time to install it soon.

I wouldn't really recommend any camera for parking guard in a hot climate, well unless you park in a garage or something, but in the sun,,,,, no way i would put even the smallest Danish coin on that working.

Like i have said 700 and umpteen times, that would probably only work with a remote system and a main unit made large to accommodate a proper cooling solution better than a sliver of ALU or copper with a few fins in it.
I still have little faith in the remote systems i am aware off as they are with as small as possible main unit, and so still dont really have any worth while cooling, and only + would be you can put it out of direct sun, but i am still not sure that's enough with the temperatures a car can reach while parked in summer.
I’m pretty good at DIY, so I opened up multiple of these remote systems, drilled more ventilation, added heat sinks, thrown them in a larger aluminum box with ventilation (this was to help against the EMI that was affecting key fob range), have tried multiple small 5V fans, etc.

@Panzer Platform

2-ch rear

counterfeit? I'm using SanDisk cards as I work in the electronics industry and have controlled supply chain options, if they're counterfeit that would be a bigger problem for work than me.
The camera powers off, given the time involved I don't know what the screen says, haven't paid enough attention to it.
The time is random, the recordings are fine but do just switch off as the day heats up. The recording is event based so more often than not, they are not stopping during recording, during IDLE operation, as found from tests of this dash cam, they draw almost the same power during parking mode as they do during full operation, so that would translate to the same heat regardless of function.

Where did you buy the card from?

Back