Battery options for parking mode

Madster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to order a 2ch A229 Pro, and I would appreciate advice on suitable batteries for parking mode. My car is a BMW so a battery is pretty much mandatory to stop the car moaning when parasitic battery drain is detected. Parking mode won't be required every day, just when not at home or work, and not for more than 6-8 hours at a time. I do intend to hardwire it though to make the install neater. I've had a look at the expensive Blackvue and Thinkware offerings, as well as a cheaper Power Core power bank, and I would appreciate some guidance on the best options.

Welcome to the club.
Since you’re in the UK market I vote for the IROAD Power Pack Pro 12.
It has a capacity of 153Wh.
The EGEN battery packs, (BlackVue, Thinkware, CellLink) are only 96Wh.
The reason I recommend the huge capacity is because I see posts on this forum from folks who want to add a second battery pack for even more parking mode duration.
The BlackVue & Thinkware packs don't have the 2nd pack extension capability.
Also the larger capacity should translate into a longer service life.

A229 Pro 2-CH Low Bitrate Parking Mode = 5 Watts
153Wh ÷ 5 Watts = 30 Hours Duration
96Wh ÷ 5 Watts = 19 Hours Duration

A229 Pro 3-CH Low Bitrate Parking Mode = 6.7 Watts
153Wh ÷ 6.7 Watts = 22 Hours Duration
96Wh ÷ 6.7 Watts = 14 Hours Duration

Oh yeah I would get the 3-CH A229 Pro just for the parking mode capability.
It’s POV will capture out your side windows where the front & rear can’t see.
Also it’s only $30 more.
If you decide to add the IR Interior camera later it will cost you $70 separately;
https://viofo.com/dash-cam/335-a229...placement-with-cord-and-adhesive-sticker.html
Take note of how much you can see out the side windows at 2:46

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I hadn't seen these large capacity IROAD power packs so I'll have a good read up. Cheaper than the others too, which is a bonus.
I hadn't considered the 3 channel camera setup either, but I take your point, so I think I'll go for that.
My only real problem now is where to locate the power pack. There's no room under the front seats or in the glove box, so it might have to go in the trunk somewhere, with the additional cable run to bring power to the main camera at the front. Thankfully, BMW make routing additional cables along the edges of interior trim really easy....not!

Thanks again for your advice.

I've looked at these but I couldn't find any user reviews so it's good to know they work well. I have a couple of options now so thank you.

Back