Format SD card error weekly

Bluemoon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi haven’t had this dash cam too long and loads of issues, first one to mention is that I am getting the ‘format Sd card error’ now once a week , it’s currently only recording out of the front camera so this can’t be right surely? I am using the sd card provided as part of the kit, the 32GB Pro

Hi haven’t had this dash cam too long and loads of issues, first one to mention is that I am getting the ‘format Sd card error’ now once a week , it’s currently only recording out of the front camera so this can’t be right surely? I am using the sd card provided as part of the kit, the 32GB Pro
Have you checked the firmware is up to date and resetted the camera to factory settings?

Yes checked the firmware and done the factory reset, made no difference whatsoever

There is nothing obscure about the formatting error, the card needs to be replaced and not invented out of thin air, I think.
The SD card doesn't have an unlimited lifespan

I only got the dash cam in February, surely the lifespan should be longer than that?

I only got the dash cam in February, surely the lifespan should be longer than that?
Have you tested the card (h2tstw or similar program)? Any card can go bad before its' time - not normal but it can, and does, happen.

Have you tested the card (h2tstw or similar program)? Any card can go bad before its' time - not normal but it can, and does, happen.
I don’t know how to test the card

I don’t know how to test the card
Download, install and run H2TestW from here - https://h2testw.org/

Instructions and FAQs are on the site.

Edit: I suggest you format the card before running the test so that all space on the card can be checked.

Since the series 2 Nextbase dashcams have been available Nextbase have made countless posts here about the need to format SDCards fortnightly or they will likely fail during use.

They also post that you should use their mega expensive cards or risk failure.

IMO there is something seriously wrong with the series 2 dashcams with card errors and expanding batteries.

I can't remember when I last formatted my Samsung Evo Plus in my Viofo A119 V3 but I do cut/paste the files weekly so it never fills up.

Since the series 2 Nextbase dashcams have been available Nextbase have made countless posts here about the need to format SDCards fortnightly or they will likely fail during use.

They also post that you should use their mega expensive cards or risk failure.

IMO there is something seriously wrong with the series 2 dashcams with card errors and expanding batteries.

I can't remember when I last formatted my Samsung Evo Plus in my Viofo A119 V3 but I do cut/paste the files weekly so it never fills up.
Thats exactly it I've never had any issues either with my v3 after three years of ownership, in the hot or the cold here in Australia. Nextbase seems to be a giant **** show at the moment.

Are you dual recording? (Default setting is on) If you are, each 3 minute clip is taking 12 minutes of recording time, (3 mins per camera in high and low resolution). With a 32gb sd card you’ll be getting approx 90 mins (driving time), (iirc),storage time. Any saved files whether intentional or not will reduce that time too.
On price alone I have never bought a Nextbase SD card. Might be worth changing the card for a 68 or 128 sd.

Last edited:
Are you dual recording? (Default setting is on) If you are, each 3 minute clip is taking 12 minutes of recording time, (3 mins per camera in high and low resolution). With a 32gb sd card you’ll be getting approx 90 mins (driving time), (iirc),storage time. Any saved files whether intentional or not will reduce that time too.
On price alone I have never bought a Nextbase SD card. Might be worth changing the card for a 68 or 128 sd.
No only the front camera is currently working, the SD card came in the pack I bought with the cameras, what make of SD card should I look at?

Download, install and run H2TestW from here - https://h2testw.org/

Instructions and FAQs are on the site.

Edit: I suggest you format the card before running the test so that all space on the card can be checked.
I don’t have access to a PC , only have an ipad

I personally use a Sandisk, many have and been disappointed, it needs to Class 10, U3 suitable for video, High endurance Sandisk would be my recommendation but only buy from a reputable seller, there are many fakes out there.
Okay so rear is not connected, (by choice or not working?), so each 3 minute recording is storing 6 mins of playtime, enough for around 3 hours of storage before it loops again. Bare in mind you will never achieve the stated storage as that’s how they work/ programmed.

Below is a full reset as provided by Millie at Nextbase, I have basically copied and pasted. It may help. A bit more than just pressing the reset button.
The latest FW update is R23.7, you say you have that. Good luck give it a try.

PLEASE NOTE:
  • Following this process means that videos saved in the "Library" tab within the MyNextbase Connect app WILL BE DELETED. Please ensure you saved these files to your computer or laptop before proceeding if you wish to retain any files.
  • Ensure your Dash Cam is plugged into a power supply throughout this process.

Steps for Dash Cam:

1. Stop the Dash Cam from recording by tapping on the flashing recording icon at the bottom left of the screen.
  2. Tap the settings (cogwheel) icon that appears in the top left of the screen.
  3. Select "Setup" to enter the setup menu.
  4. Swipe across and tap on "Keep User Settings" tap "OFF" and tap OK.
  5. Locate, then tap on "Default Settings", tap "Yes" and tap “OK” (Your Dash Cam will restart).

Steps for iPhone

1. Open “Settings” on the phone.
  2. Select “Bluetooth” to enter the Bluetooth settings
  3. Locate your Nextbase Dash Cam in the “paired devices” list.
  4. select the "i" button on the right-hand side and “forget the device”.
  5. Delete the “MyNextbase Connect” App.
  6. Restart your phone.
  7. Reinstall “MyNextbase Connect” from the App store.

Your Dash Cam will restart from factory settings. Now follow the first time setup process again to get connected, making sure you agree to all of the permissions requested by the app (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, local network etc).

Please visit our help centre article "Can't connect to MyNextbase my smartphone" if you would like to see images relating to each step of this process. When followed correctly (and in order) this process fixes most issues customers experience.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hope It helps.

No only the front camera is currently working, the SD card came in the pack I bought with the cameras, what make of SD card should I look at?
I personally use Samsung EVO Plus and have for a few years now have had SanDisk before and they had issues. YMMV, as others wouldn't go near Samsung and vice versa.

Agree

Here is a post I made in Oct 2018, so 5 years old now and ........ I'm still using the same card in my V3.

All I do is cut and paste the contents weekly so it never fills up :

Just searched further back here and I bought the card back in October 2017 so it's now 6 years old and still going strong :

Last edited:
Agree

Here is a post I made in Oct 2018, so 5 years old now and ........ I'm still using the same card in my V3.

All I do is cut and paste the contents weekly so it never fills up :

Just searched further back here and I bought the card back in October 2017 so it's now 6 years old and still going strong :

Damn that is pretty good lifespans for your cards mate. My old two Samsung EVOs I put in my IP cams instead of throwing out and they're still going alright.

To think what I've spent on USB thumb drives and microSD cards over the last 15 years, I've lost count.

Strongly suggest following this link and look out for “drwilliams” posts. I have learnt more in the past 10 minutes from (presume) him, than I have in 8 years of dashcam and sd cards usage. Thanks for the link K.

Back