Is the GOPRO Worth the money?

safedrivesolutions

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro+A139 pro, Vueroid D21 4K, Thinkware U3000,
I am looking at investing in equipment to film us while doing installs of dash cameras to grow our channel.
We need to be able to get head mount, windshield mounts, some sort of seat mount. I want it to have a screen where I can see that it is recording me correctly similar to a go pro or like when your doing a facetime call on a phone.

Recommendations needed

Just yesterday I came across an intriguing new action camera from Pergear, a manufacturer of uniquely well priced quality camera equipment considering the price range, in several articles on PetaPixel and elsewhere.

5K 50MP 170˚ Wide Angle Action Camera records video at up to 5K resolution and can capture still images at up to 50 megapixels. The camera offers advanced video stabilization from its EIS electronic anti-shake system, and when using an included protective case, it is waterproof to 98 feet (30 meters).

The camera is just now reaching the market so there are no definitive reviews as yet but the specs and features are remarkable for the price.

I am tempted to order one but my only reservation is that the AOV is much wider than I would prefer. If the camera can be modified with an aftermarket lens, I'm in at this price, although I will wait to see some reviews.

• Image sensor: SONY
  • Dual screens: 2.0-inch primary display + 1.3-inch secondary screen
  • Video resolution: Up to 5K at 30fps
  • Wide-angle HD lens
  • Removable battery (2 of them)
  • Memory card support: Up to 256GB
  • 64G microSD card included in the package
  • Various recording formats and shooting modes
  • Time-lapse video, slow motion, timed photography, time-lapse photography, Selfie
  • WiFi connectivity with a dedicated app
  • Compatible with Quik app
  • Remote Control
  • USB-C cable
  • Waterproof case
  • Mountiing brackets

$80 USD!

proxy-image.jpg

Last edited:
your camera line up you can always check with the APP associated with the camera you choose.

The new Insta GO3 cameras are pretty nifty in you can take out the little camera and so have a very small camera, that easy fit on a headband or cap brim, doing that the main part act like a remote viewfinder as i recall.

You can also choose one of their 360 cameras, that way you can always frame the parts you want in post processing, and so you just need to have the camera near and you should be good, of course if you have the camera at the headliner and want to film something under the dash, well that's not going to work, but otherwise with 360 you could probably just " throw " the camera on the floor and be good.

Last edited:
I am looking at investing in equipment to film us while doing installs of dash cameras to grow our channel.
We need to be able to get head mount, windshield mounts, some sort of seat mount. I want it to have a screen where I can see that it is recording me correctly similar to a go pro or like when your doing a facetime call on a phone.

Recommendations needed
Not sure a GoPro is ideal for that, FoV will be too wide for good detail and the minimum focus distance is going to limit what it can record - not much good for talking to the camera.

How about a DJI Osmo Pocket?
That actually has an autofocus instead of the GoPro's fixed focus, so you can talk to it with your face in focus, or have the dashcams in focus if that is what it is pointing at, it has a much better FoV for recording what you are doing and for talking to the camera, it has auto levelling without losing any resolution, and a lot else better than GoPro. There are various mounts available, including head, shoulder, wrist...

Ask your Thinkware Rep to send you a Snap-G for test & review.
Joey Cahue (Thinkware) was going to send me one when I was testing the U3000.
I really wanted to check it out, but after being disappointed with the U3000, and sending it back I changed my mind.
The Snap-G is almost as good as the DJI Osmo Pocket that Nigel is talking about in terms of image quality.
However the Snap-G has a replaceable battery.
So when the battery dies you can swap in a fresh one.
The Osmo’s battery is not replaceable, so to get through a day of installations you’ll need to have it connected to power.
I liked the DJI Osmo Pocket 1st Gen.
I actually bought one, and tried it out but, returned it because it just did not work for my application.
Here’s some test footage to show you the smoothness of the gimbal, FOV, and the audio quality;

Here’s a review of the DJI Osmo Pocket Gen 2, and the Thinkware Snap-G;

As far as a Head Mounted Camera I do not recommend this one, but the form factor is the best on the market.
It’s just the camera itself, and APP is one or two generations from being good.
I was going to buy it before I bought the Osmo Gen 1, but it’s not good.

I've used different GoPros for many years now and except for the overheating issues when you run them for a while, I'm pretty happy with them. Having the front facing selfie screen is super helpful for getting the camera framed and leveled.

Years ago I tested some cheap knockoff brand and it was pretty awful, but nowadays there's a lot of big name companies that make really good competing products, though I admittedly haven't used any of them. I've been wanting to pick up an Insta360 at some point to up the creativity and flexibility in post, but realistically I've been fine with setting up a camera for the angle I need and enjoying the higher video quality a fixed lens offers, especially if you wanna start zooming in to point out different details.

When it comes to mounts, man there's SO many options for all that. I use a mix of GoPro's big single suction cup mount to attach to the windshield, a Blendmount to hang it under my RVM, and an arm that clamps onto the driver's head rest and sticks out over my right shoulder to get a view of my windshield and dash to show things like radar detectors, phones, etc.

Adding USB ports and power cables for wherever you need is helpful too if you wanna shoot more than an hour or so. I also sometimes bring external USB battery packs to help shoot longer, but then eventually the cameras start to overheat and so having a second cam on hand to swap out while the first one cools off can be helpful too.

Here’s some test footage to show you the smoothness of the gimbal, FOV, and the audio quality;
That is pretty good filming! Nice and steady, horizontal, and a nice field of view for moving around cars, much better than the super wide GoPro with reduced resolution/clarity from having to stabilise and level. Most of the time it was in focus too - including when you got close to things.

I am starting to lean towards DJI OSMO Action 4

Just yesterday I came across an intriguing new action camera from Pergear, a manufacturer of uniquely well priced quality camera equipment considering the price range, in several articles on PetaPixel and elsewhere.

5K 50MP 170˚ Wide Angle Action Camera records video at up to 5K resolution and can capture still images at up to 50 megapixels. The camera offers advanced video stabilization from its EIS electronic anti-shake system, and when using an included protective case, it is waterproof to 98 feet (30 meters).

The camera is just now reaching the market so there are no definitive reviews as yet but the specs and features are remarkable for the price.

I am tempted to order one but my only reservation is that the AOV is much wider than I would prefer. If the camera can be modified with an aftermarket lens, I'm in at this price, although I will wait to see some reviews.

• Image sensor: SONY
  • Dual screens: 2.0-inch primary display + 1.3-inch secondary screen
  • Video resolution: Up to 5K at 30fps
  • Wide-angle HD lens
  • Removable battery (2 of them)
  • Memory card support: Up to 256GB
  • 64G microSD card included in the package
  • Various recording formats and shooting modes
  • Time-lapse video, slow motion, timed photography, time-lapse photography, Selfie
  • WiFi connectivity with a dedicated app
  • Compatible with Quik app
  • Remote Control
  • USB-C cable
  • Waterproof case
  • Mountiing brackets

$80 USD!

View attachment 68710

I saw that the other day on PetaPixel too. What worries me though is that maybe it's interpolated 4k? Then again the 50 megapixel sensor doesn't lead to that. We need specs of the sensor.... Cos the price is way too cheap.

That is pretty good filming! Nice and steady, horizontal, and a nice field of view for moving around cars, much better than the super wide GoPro with reduced resolution/clarity from having to stabilise and level. Most of the time it was in focus too - including when you got close to things.
I had one as well, not going to share footage here cos it was all of my young kid at the time.

tracking was pretty good, and I bought it when it came out so it did have some focus issues. I ultimately didn't have a big purpose for it so sold it, but I remember seeing it getting tons of updates to fix issues with it. Granted, DJI were onto things so that's a plus.

Think gen 3 is around the corner now too, but I'd recommend the Pocket for sure

I saw that the other day on PetaPixel too. What worries me though is that maybe it's interpolated 4k? Then again the 50 megapixel sensor doesn't lead to that. We need specs of the sensor.... Cos the price is way too cheap.

Really good questions. I've been wondering the same thing, especially what sensor is in this thing along with other details. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even pay attention to yet another GroPro clone but the fact that PetaPixel would feature a story on the camera intrigues me.

The other thing is that Pergear is not your typical Chinese generic GoPro clone outfit. They have a reputation for producing modestly priced but decent quality advanced amateur and semi-pro camera gear, tripods and heads, lenses, gimbals, memory cards, 3D printers, thermal cameras, and other unique stuff. This is apparently their first action camera.

PetaPixel regularly features reviews of some of their products so I'm not surprized to see them feature their 5K action camera. I don't expect it to perform anywhere as well as a recent model GoPro but for the price it could be a worthwhile camera if the 5K claim is real and the featues perfom as advertised (like the WiFi app) I'm very much looking forward to seeing some knowledgeable reviews.

Last edited:
I am starting to lean towards DJI OSMO Action 4
Wide angle fixed focus action cameras are great for action, on the surfboard, on a bike, on a parachute, but is that actually what you want? Take a look at what other people are using to create similar video. Action cameras are really not good for getting close to things and showing details.

but I remember seeing it getting tons of updates to fix issues with it. Granted, DJI were onto things so that's a plus.
Yes, DJI do listen to their customers, fix things and add new features very frequently, all for free, whereas GoPro prefer to make you wait until you can buy the next GoPro in the sequence, which requires you to make a new purchase every year, and then you often find the issue is still there, along with some new ones!

Really good questions. I've been wondering the same thing, especially what sensor is in this thing along with other details. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even pay attention to yet another GroPro clone but the fact that PetaPixel would feature a story on the camera intrigues me.

The other thing is that Pergear is not your typical generic Chinese GoPro clone outfit. They have a reputation for producing modestly priced but decent quality advanced amateur and semi-pro camera gear, tripods and heads, lenses, gimbals, memory cards, 3D printers, thermal cameras, and other unique stuff. This is apparently their first action camera.

PetaPixel regularly features reviews of some of their products so I'm not surprized to see them feature their 5K action camera. I don't expect it to perform anywhere as well as a recent model GoPro but for the price it could be a worthwhile camera if the 5K claim is real and the featues perfom as advertised (like the WiFi app) I'm very much looking forward to seeing some knowledgeable reviews.
Will be interested to watch for sure, might be a tempting impulse purchase if it all checks out :)

Wide angle fixed focus action cameras are great for action, on the surfboard, on a bike, on a parachute, but is that actually what you want? Take a look at what other people are using to create similar video. Action cameras are really not good for getting close to things and showing details.

Yes, DJI do listen to their customers, fix things and add new features very frequently, all for free, whereas GoPro prefer to make you wait until you can buy the next GoPro in the sequence, which requires you to make a new purchase every year, and then you often find the issue is still there, along with some new ones!
That's what I keep seeing and hearing with GoPro that they have overheating issues and the like, and that like you say it's just year on year crapshoot :/

The wireless microphone is really cool.

Nice and steady, horizontal, and a nice field of view for moving around cars, much better than the super wide GoPro with reduced resolution/clarity from having to stabilise and level.
Here’s a comparison of the same shot.
Osmo Pocket vs. Sony Action Cam HDR-AS200V (120° FOV) electronic image stabilization on, the camera is mounted on the right side of my head, and the lens is next to my right eyeball.

Here’s another comparison;

Here’s a comparison of the same shot.
Osmo Pocket vs. Sony Action Cam HDR-AS200V (120° FOV) electronic image stabilization on, the camera is mounted on the right side of my head, and the lens is next to my right eyeball.

Here’s another comparison;

Crop in to get the EIS, but a necessary evil and worth the trade off IMHO

Back