Nexus 5. Examination & tests newest Dash Camera from Vantrue

Leonauto

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Dash Cam
Blueskysea, Viofo and etc
On June 9, I received the Vantrue Nexus 5 for testing, it was kindly provided by @Jeff_Vantrue, I thank him for his support and trust!

So let's get started. I would like to clarify right away - I will not post here all these unboxing photos and photos from different angles (they are and will continue to appear in different reviews and on the Vantrue website. Good photos from @rcg530 here: Vantrue N5 - 4CH Dash Camera Test & Review - RCG
) - but only important and essential things and nuances that can reveal the features in more detail new device, its capabilities and other subtleties.

The first thing I noticed when unpacking the N5 is a reliable dashcam mounting bracket, this is a very solid product, my respect to Vantrue engineers. The mount has powerful contacts (since the power supply of the dashcam is through this bracket and can reach more than 1.6A), a deep socket, two guides along which the bracket enters the case and a powerful magnet that holds this structure. Vantrue abandoned the unreliable plastic latches and put a magnet to fix the recorder on the bracket. A similar solution, but not as deep, was at one time TrendVision.

mount N5+ c.jpg

mount N5_5a.jpg mount N5_5b.jpg

mount N5_8.jpg

mount N5+ d.jpg

The dashcam can rotate both vertically and horizontally, the turns are made with effort, but very smoothly, for sure such a connection will not loosen and will last a long time.
The tilt of the lens up and down is available within 35 degrees, maybe more, but visual - adjustment should be enough to install on a windshield with any slope (except for completely vertical)
N5 mount up and down 2.jpg

The bracket also allows rotation of the dashcam around the axis

Bracket rotation around the axis_1.jpg Bracket rotation around the axis_2.jpg Bracket rotation around the axis_3.jpg
A useful sticker was pasted on the screen - a reminder of which buttons activate which functions
20230609_191608.jpg

I was very surprised (pleasantly) and even amazed by car charging, but more on that later...

to be continued...

Last edited:
I would suggest confirming with Vantrue whether you received a pre-production test unit or a production unit. The reason that's important is that in my testing I found that pre-production N5 test units have the IR filter wired backwards. That means you must use the original firmware to avoid the IR filter being incorrectly used by the N5. I found this issue by installing a firmware update as the Vantrue app suggested I install and the daytime recordings started to have a purplish hue to things like seat belts, some seating surfaces and sometimes the shirts I would wear. I had to get firmware sent to me to downgrade the N5 back to a firmware versions that accounted for the incorrect IR filter operations issue.

I like magnets, i have used them for a long time to hold RC car bodies in place.
And the super magnets can get quite super, even the small ones i use you can not pull strait from each other, you have to slide them apart.

I would suggest confirming with Vantrue whether you received a pre-production test unit or a production unit. The reason that's important is that in my testing I found that pre-production N5 test units have the IR filter wired backwards. That means you must use the original firmware to avoid the IR filter being incorrectly used by the N5. I found this issue by installing a firmware update as the Vantrue app suggested I install and the daytime recordings started to have a purplish hue to things like seat belts, some seating surfaces and sometimes the shirts I would wear. I had to get firmware sent to me to downgrade the N5 back to a firmware versions that accounted for the incorrect IR filter operations issue.
Yes, thanks, that seems to be the case.
20230611_203952_0056_N_B 2.jpg 20230611_203952_0056_N_B.jpg
I probably rushed the update, I need to ask @Jeff_Vantrue to send the previous firmware

I did a 9 hour continuous normal recording test with 4 cameras on a table. Default settings, GPS is on, the screen turns off after 1 minute,
powered by a standard Vantrue adapter in the cigarette lighter.

The dashcam N5 worked for 9 hours. Indoor temperature 23° Celsius.
SanDisk Extreme memory card, 256GB.
Recording continued before completing this test. Recording files will be checked later.

The total consumption during this time was 16136 mAh / 84024 mWh (averages 5.20V, 1.793A).
Average consumption per hour was 1,792Ah/ 9,336 Wh

N5 thermo power consumption 9h DCT.jpg

The stock car charger Vantrue only reached 40.1° Celsius.
N5 thermo car charger 9h DCT.jpg
Rear Camera - 55.1°C.
Dashcam N5 - 67.9°C (72.5°C degrees at the top near the rear camera connector).
Memory card slot with card (lid was closed all the time of recording) - 77.2°C
Rear Cam afer 9-hour test
N5 thermo rear cam 9h.jpg

N5 after 9-hour test
N5 thermo dashcam 9h_1.jpg N5 thermo dashcam 9h_2.jpg

Memory card slot with card
N5 thermo dashcam 9h_3.jpg N5 thermo Memory card slot 9h.jpg

Thermograms were taken with a Infrared Thermal Imager
for a smartphone UNI-T UTi260M
In addition, I would like to note (the photos were no longer placed in the first post) the high quality of the power adapter in the cigarette lighter / car charger Vantrue, which is included with the N5 in box.
When checking, the N5 power port through Type-C withstood a load of 3A, after which the adapter went into protection.
Checking the USB-A port: with the N5 running with two cameras (the consumption is 0.884A through the USB-C cable), the USB-A port easily withstood a load of 3A !!! (I didn’t load more, and so it’s more than enough).
We don't have to worry about the power supply of the N5 4-cam from this Vantrue adapter, it is a reliable device. (y) :)
N5 car charger 3A + 0.884A.jpg

Last edited:
I continue testing Nexus N5 on the table. Testing the possibilities of parking modes.

Parking Mode operates as a sentry function under different situations. Please go to “Record Setup” > “Parking Mode”, press button button.jpg and select the
following options:
• Collision Detection,
• Motion Detection,
• Low Bitrate Recording,
• Low Framerate Recording,
• OFF

First, we check the parking mode of the Motion Detection, since only it has a buffering mode.
As long as there is no movement, the dashcam does not record.
When any of the motion cameras appears in the frame, the dashcam starts recording, which lasts 30 seconds, video from the buffer is also added to the saved video, lasting 10 seconds before the start of the event. As a result, we get a video with a duration of 40 seconds (on default settings - 70MB in size).

The mode works correctly, sample entries here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SnGcthT1T_emu_8NQ6HrlKhLfdoYX1Wp
N5 Motion Detection.jpg

N5 passed the test lasting 14 hours with dignity.
The current consumption in this mode, if reduced, is not much.
Consumption for 14 hours was 25816 mAh / 98130 mWh, or 1.844A / 7.009W average consumption per hour.
There were only a few records for motion detection, the record card turned out to be almost empty.

"When the motion detection is turned on, the icon icon Motion Detection on top.jpg will be displayed on the recording interface. If no movement is detected after 5 minutes of recording,
the motion detection will be activated with an orange icon icon Motion Detection in centre.jpg in the center of the screen, and the screen will turn off after 3 minutes."
©User Manual Nexus 5 (N5)

Last edited:
We don't have to worry about the power supply of the N5 4-cam from this Vantrue adapter, it is a reliable device.
If the power adapter is identical to the one from the E3, then I can indeed confirm, that it's reliable.
While the E3 was recording, it was charging my phone with the screen on at high brightness, GPS and Bluetooth enabled and wasn't uncomfortable warm or anything.

If you have it mounted in your car yet, how large is the footprint? Just waiting on my review unit and want to plan my mounting ahead as I don't drive an overly large car

If you have it mounted in your car yet, how large is the footprint? Just waiting on my review unit and want to plan my mounting ahead as I don't drive an overly large car
I'm still testing the N5 "on the table", you can see the photo of the N5 in the cabin in the review of the @rcg530 here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vantrue-n5-4ch-dash-camera-test-review-rcg.48930/post-594279
I am attaching a photo with dimensions, maybe it will help you with something else:
Vantrue N5 size_1.jpg

Vantrue N5 size_2.jpg

The power of our car charger is 2.4A+2.4A. It comes with two independent chips, and it is safe for the electric current of N5, even for a long time. It is also using PC high temperature resistant material, which can withstand 120 degrees of high temperature, so there is no need to worry about any deformation or electric current overload.

I'm still testing N5 "on the table". Let's continue...

Check Parking mode Low bitrate.
When this mode is enabled, the dashcam automatically switches to this mode.
All cameras are cyclic recording, videos lasting 3 minutes,
files are obtained with a volume of about 114 MB. Bitrate 4915 Mbps.

Vantrue N5 Переход в парк.режим.jpg

Here you can see that the recorder has switched (itself switched) to the parking mode with a Low Bitrate, and started recording (the letter P in the file name before marking the camera).

In this mode, the G-sensor is activated. When it is activated (shock, vibration), the N5 enters normal recording mode.

This time, only two cameras were connected - A & B (the rear ones were disabled), this was done on purpose - the processor load (temperature) was checked.
The fact is that a user of the Russian forum 4PDA Dex999 shared (for which many thanks to him) the firmware in which the processor temperature monitor is sewn. He did this based on the firmware posted on the Ventrue VT-ECE251 website.

This firmware was flooded and here is the result of working in the parking mode Low bitrate. The maximum temperature did not rise above 95 degrees.
Wed Jun 21 06:00:00 GMT 2023: 94'C
Wed Jun 21 06:01:00 GMT 2023: 95'C
Wed Jun 21 06:02:00 GMT 2023: 94'C
Wed Jun 21 06:03:00 GMT 2023: 95'C

Chassis heating after 7 hours of indoor recording, 22-25°C outdoor temperaturea, Low Bitrate parking mode, rear cameras not connected..
GPS on, Wi-Fi turns off 10 minutes after disconnecting the connection with the smartphone, the screen is turned off. Default settings.
The transition to the parking mode is automatic.
Power supply - standard Vantrue adapter to the cigarette lighter with Type-C.

LowBitrate after 7 hours_1.jpg LowBitrate after 7 hours_2.jpg LowBitrate after 7 hours_3.jpg LowBitrate after 7 hours_4.jpg

Last edited:
I uploaded a new firmware N5_VT-ECF211, but as before, on the updated firmware, the front cabin cam goes into a purple-pink color.
When I turn ON the IR LED, the picture switches to black and white.
Other cameras work correctly.
I can try and ride with this mode, but infrared diodes will additionally heat the dashcam.

Front Cabin Camera FW_ECF211
FW_ECF211_N_B front cabin cam IR LED AUTO.png FW_ECF211_N_B front cabin cam IR LED ON.png

I returned to the firmware H5_VT-ECD201 and everything worked as it should.
FW_ECD201_N_B old FW IR LED AUTO and OFF.png FW_ECD201_N_B old FW IR LED ON.png

Screenshot from smartphone screen in "Full screen" mode
Screenshot from smartphone screen in  full display.jpg
(White dots in the middle of the picture are a reflection from the window glass of the IR LEDs)

Vantrue has released the new Vantrue 3-Lead ACC Hardwire Kit.
This wire kit has 2 levels: 12V/11.6V for cars with 12V in the on-board network and 24V/23.2V for cars with 24V in the on-board network.
There is no longer a timed shutdown setting, as in the previous model.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/B08NC29WZK
611EbuVIlyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 71kQzY20-CL._AC_SL1500_1.jpg

Last edited:
antrue has released the new Vantrue 3-Lead ACC Hardwire Kit

I got this hard wire kit with the N5 yesterday, set it to 12 V and installed it.
I am however not using parking guard on the N5, but that will probably come soon.

Back