Vantrue Nexus 5 improvement wish list

Karagandinez

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue
I would like to see the following implemented in future firmware:

1. I really want to see the HDR function on the main camera.
2. N4 Pro and N5 have the same Novatek NT98529 processor.
N4 Pro has a total bitrate of 53 Mb/s on 3 cameras, N5 has a total bitrate of 43.1 Mb/s on 4 cameras.
Perhaps it is possible to increase the bitrate of the main camera of the N5 to at least 25 Mb/s. That would be very good.
3. Make it possible to turn HDR on and off at a time set by the user.
4. Make it possible to turn on Wi-Fi in parking mode.
5. In the parking mode "Low Bitrate Recording", make the recording permanent from the ignition off to the ignition on, so that there is no loss of time in the recording.

I'm not asking for anything supernatural. As far as I know, all this can be implemented programmatically.

Last edited:
1: yes having it on the rear camera seem silly.
2: bitrate should go up, i can not recall what interior cameras are but really they should be low bitrate ( 4 mbit ) front + rear should be higher.
3: that would be nice.
4: i dont think i would use this as my car are parked "far" from my apartment
5: also make low bitrate true 30 FPS not this hybrid low bitrate + low FPS

Interior cameras in parking guard, maybe be off and only turn on with G-sensor ( when someone get into car and so in range of those cameras )

Mind you i have noticed that the N5 interior camera can even capture a plate whizzing by going the other direction, but your timing have to be lucky at least in my car as the angle out of the side window just give you 1 chance ( 1 frame )
SO ! it is not something i would bet or rely the slightest on, in my perspective the interior cameras are only for things inside the car.

I'm embarrassed to ask:
What is the advantage of 30fps, in parking mode, where the car is motionless in front of 15fps at the same bitrate? :unsure:

I dont know it is just what i have been used to.
And it just seem silly to mix low FPS and low bitrate, other brands have low bitrate, then low fps ( 5-10-15 FPS ) and of course G-sensor.
If you use 15 FPS + low bitrate, well if there are sound it would be weird, and i use low bitrate to also have sound recorded, you do not get those with low FPS..

The sound is mainly if someone door ding my car, but then on audio is a smart ass about it, CUZ then i would come after the person with all my might, where as otherwise i dont care much about door dings, even if i find it a sign of irresponsibility and i do not at all like that trait in persons.
Mind you if i drove a nice and in Denmark extremely expensive 911, well then there would be no leeway in regard to door dings as i have paid 2 X more for my car than pretty much any other person in the world.
But my current little red car, even if also expensive due to this being Denmark, well it is just a means of transport, so as long as the engine work and it dont break down too often, then i am good.

The last couple of days i have used motion detect on the N5, and as a result even with low sensitivity gotten a lot of little 50 MB recordings.
I am however going to keep it up so i can get my memory card filled and verified it work, so i can move on to the next card

If you look at the N5 manual, you can see that it has 4 parking modes:
Collision Detection
Motion Detection
Low Bitrate Recording
Low Framerate mode

Why, if not familiar, then immediately stupid?
You have to get used to the new.

Reactions: gse
Here we go, hoping that @Jeff_Vantrue will transmit to the product manager :
Biggest need is to be able to use the "motion detection" feature in real-life. In short, it draws a lot of current, so cannot be left for more than some hours. As of today, the N5 pro cannot be used this way :

Currently, to switch between "collision" and "motion detection", I need to (approx 10 clics !):
  1. Stop recording
  2. Enter settings
  3. choose parking mode
  4. validate "do not use motion detection if hot" warning message [could the device not fallback to collision mode when overheating ??]
  5. choose appropriate detection mode (collision or motion)
--> having a "hot key" to switch from one mode to another would be nice (long press on the "camera" button ?).

Moreover, I need to not forget to revert to collision mode when parking for a longer time ... Which is a pain.

--> there should be an option to set parking mode to "motion detection" for X hours, then fallback to collision detection (X being selectable : 1-12h for instance).

Back