The dreaded no recording... just happened to me :eek:

Most of my locked videos stem from the g-sensor whilst moving, and I have set the sensor sensitivity to "high" to gather as many events as possible whilst I (like you) decide how reliable the system is. It may be correlation not causation, but regardless of how the lock is triggered and whether in driving mode or parking, both Front and Rear have always locked with parking set to AED, but occasionally (say 1 in 10) only the front or rear is locked when parking is set to time-lapse (1 fps in my case). So my wild guess is that something within the firmware that is set with time-lapse parking is cross coded with something that governs video locking. Viofo are prepared to look at it in those terms, but first they want to replicate the problem. But if it only affects me, then that is good information and would be a relief to the rest of you.

Well I just went to the car and checked. I don't have lots of locked files but the ones I have, all make "pair" between front and rear.

What does annoy my OCD is that the files are named with a 1 sec difference between front and rear like if front is xx:xx:49 then the rear is xx:xx:50

Screenshot_2023-06-12-19-49-17-10_e24af01bec3189413074866d0f854b7c.jpg

Don't understand why the discrepancy

...Don't understand why the discrepancy
Most likely because the files are created separately from one another and the time changes between the 2 events (file creations). I'm sure if you look you'll see the same behavior with the normal recordings as well.

Well I just went to the car and checked. I don't have lots of locked files but the ones I have, all make "pair" between front and rear.

What does annoy my OCD is that the files are named with a 1 sec difference between front and rear like if front is xx:xx:49 then the rear is xx:xx:50

View attachment 65775

Don't understand why the discrepancy
I checked in my RO directory and did some fiddling with Excel, and noted that my R files are labelled between 0-2 seconds after my F files in normal driving, and my PR files are labelled 19-30 seconds after my PF files. So there is some latency in the system which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise. But as to the locking of only one file of a pair, this has happened 8 times out of 95 events during my observed period of 3rd to 12th June. So many people might not know. F is never missing - it is only R that is missing. But either PF or PR can be missing.

I checked in my RO directory and did some fiddling with Excel, and noted that my R files are labelled between 0-2 seconds after my F files in normal driving, and my PR files are labelled 19-30 seconds after my PF files. So there is some latency in the system which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise. But as to the locking of only one file of a pair, this has happened 8 times out of 95 events during my observed period of 3rd to 12th June. So many people might not know. F is never missing - it is only R that is missing. But either PF or PR can be missing.

That's indeed strange and I haven't observed that behavior myself. Maybe it's the very low time-lapse you use (1fps) that might throw things off since one 3 min clip at 30 frames x 180 seconds = 90 minutes of compressed time. This means that 1 second offset in the filename timestamp could mean 30 seconds of compressed time.

Why don't you try it at 5fps and see if the missing clips cease to occur.

Maybe it could even be timing. When a RO event occurs, there's a logic in saving the clips. Sometimes you're at the start of a new one and the camera will save both the previous and the current one. If the rear video is 2 second out of sync, the software might decide not to save the previous clip so you'll end with 3 clips instead of 4. That could explain why some R files aren't saved.

After a month, I think it's time to wrap this up.

People usually are very keen to report problems but rarely post positive stuff so the view about a product might appear skewed.

So. Let's talk about my month long usage of this dashcam after all the initial troubles

1) it resists heat much better then I expected. We've had/having a heatwave around here (38C+ on some days) with the car parked in the torrid sun. On some occasions it got so hot that my car's collision warn system and break assist errored out because the inbuilt optical camera that is used for those systems got too hot to use. The A139 Pro however, albeit almost burning in flames (way too hot to touch) just kept recording and didn't miss a single footage.

2) it's reliable when strictly used with the recommended sdcards. I can only vouch for the sandisk extreme 256gb which is what I had to get after the not recommended sandisk high endurance disaster. It's been recording relentlessly 24h / 7 days a week. I've been checking recordings every 48h and not a single footage has been missing so far. Every single event I manually triggered has been correctly saved on the correct folder and I've been able to download and use the footage.

3) I gave up on AED mode right around when I got the new card. I was so tired of the issues, I made the decision of switching to time lapse 5fps recordings in parking mode. It has been recording flawlessly. I've downloaded several samples and tested if I could identify license plates of passing by cars in the parking lot and I was able to read each one of them stepping through the footage frame by frame. I hope that if one day I'll experience a hit and run, the same will apply. Let's hope. I might try low bit recording one day but also don't want to raise power usage.

4) I definitely would now recommend the dashcam as long the above guidelines are followed. Those settings and card work for me.

5) the 0615 firmware improved the exposure quite a lot and the imagery is now clearer and more realistic.

I hope this dashcam will work in the years to come. The front video quality is just mind blowing. Things that I barely notice in real life are crystal clear in the footage. I use hdr always on and also the polarizer. With my climate, there are no issues with them whatsoever. That might change in the winter but let's see.

All in all, I know feel that I made the right decision when I went with this model.

Only negative I can say is that parking mode could be somewhat improved and most importantly the power consumption in that mode could be optimized. I'm lucky to have a lifepo4 12v battery that is recharged whenever needed (up to 8 times) by the main battery (my car is an EV) so the consumption isn't as critical as in a traditional ice car but there's still a lot of margin for improvement. I would be much happier knowing I could leave my car at the airport and be protected for a week while it's parked there.

Cheers

After a month, I think it's time to wrap this up.

People usually are very keen to report problems but rarely post positive stuff so the view about a product might appear skewed.

So. Let's talk about my month long usage of this dashcam after all the initial troubles

1) it resists heat much better then I expected. We've had/having a heatwave around here (38C+ on some days) with the car parked in the torrid sun. On some occasions it got so hot that my car's collision warn system and break assist errored out because the inbuilt optical camera that is used for those systems got too hot to use. The A139 Pro however, albeit almost burning in flames (way too hot to touch) just kept recording and didn't miss a single footage.

2) it's reliable when strictly used with the recommended sdcards. I can only vouch for the sandisk extreme 256gb which is what I had to get after the not recommended sandisk high endurance disaster. It's been recording relentlessly 24h / 7 days a week. I've been checking recordings every 48h and not a single footage has been missing so far. Every single event I manually triggered has been correctly saved on the correct folder and I've been able to download and use the footage.

3) I gave up on AED mode right around when I got the new card. I was so tired of the issues, I made the decision of switching to time lapse 5fps recordings in parking mode. It has been recording flawlessly. I've downloaded several samples and tested if I could identify license plates of passing by cars in the parking lot and I was able to read each one of them stepping through the footage frame by frame. I hope that if one day I'll experience a hit and run, the same will apply. Let's hope. I might try low bit recording one day but also don't want to raise power usage.

4) I definitely would now recommend the dashcam as long the above guidelines are followed. Those settings and card work for me.

5) the 0615 firmware improved the exposure quite a lot and the imagery is now clearer and more realistic.

I hope this dashcam will work in the years to come. The front video quality is just mind blowing. Things that I barely notice in real life are crystal clear in the footage. I use hdr always on and also the polarizer. With my climate, there are no issues with them whatsoever. That might change in the winter but let's see.

All in all, I know feel that I made the right decision when I went with this model.

Only negative I can say is that parking mode could be somewhat improved and most importantly the power consumption in that mode could be optimized. I'm lucky to have a lifepo4 12v battery that is recharged whenever needed (up to 8 times) by the main battery (my car is an EV) so the consumption isn't as critical as in a traditional ice car but there's still a lot of margin for improvement. I would be much happier knowing I could leave my car at the airport and be protected for a week while it's parked there.

Cheers
Thank you so much for your giving such highly complimentary remarks about this product. Indeed, there is still a long way to go to optimize it. We will not stop our steps to make it better. :D

So, here is some potential insight on the problem of no rear channel recording, despite the A130 Pro 2-ch camera announcing "Two Channels Recording" when it starts up. Maybe this is helpful for others, maybe it is helpful for VIOFO-Support, or maybe not.

I've spent the past few days working on installing the A139 Pro 2-ch in my car using an external battery back as a power source for parking mode instead of running parking mode from the car's primary battery as described in this thread. This set up runs nearly completely on 5v wiring, so I'm using the HK3-C wire without the 12v to 5v regulator box that it came with. Below is my attempted wiring configuration that did not work:

S60 DashCam 5v Wiring.jpg

The main goal for the above wiring configuration is that the LiFePO4 power station only operates within a specific temperature range (not below -10c and not above 45c). Thus, the Power Station can't directly power the dashcam when it is extremely hot or extremely cold outside, so it needs to be bypassed. This is where the relay comes in - it allows the camera to be powered directly from the car's electrical system while the engine is running and switches over to the power station for parking mode recording when the car is shut off. If the air temperature is beyond of the operating range for the Power Station, you'll get driving recording, but not parking recording. This is an acceptable tradeoff to me for not placing additional strain on the car's main battery. The car's primary AGM battery is expensive and require a software reset in the car's computer system when you change the AGM battery, but this function is only available at the dealer for a significant service charge. Hence my interest in a secondary battery for the dashcam. In addition, the River 2 Power Station automatically activates the 5v USB output ports when the car starts, but it doesn't automatically activate the 12v port when I start the car. These are the two reasons why I created a 5v wiring scheme instead of using a 12v wiring configuration.

I ran into some challenges as the Viofo USB utility outlet adapter provides about 5v25 whereas my Power Station (an EcoFlow River 2) provides only about 4v90 through its USB output ports. This voltage difference caused the A139 to react poorly. It would reliably switch from "drive mode" recording to "park mode" recording when the engine shut off, but it would not come out of parking mode recording AT ALL after the engine was turned on again. To get the Viofo A139 Pro to turn back on, it would have to be completely powered down first. I spent some time unsuccessfully attempting to cycle it into and out of parking mode with the relay before I abandoned the wiring configuration above and adopting the wiring configuration shown below:

S60 DashCam 5v Wiring.jpg

This new configuration without the relay "seemed" to work well afterward: The A139 Pro 2-ch camera consistently announced "two channels recording" when I started the car, as well as "parking mode recording" when I turned off the car, but it wasn't until I actually looked at the memory card that I noticed that the rear camera recordings were missing (the camera was actually writing both front and rear facing video files on the card before I attempted the first wiring change). Despite the missing rear channel recordings on the memory card, I could still see the rear camera video feed in live view from the app.

This seems to replicate the exact symptoms reported at the start of this thread.

In order to solve this problem, I did the following things:
1) with the car running, the camera powered up, and the rear camera connected, I used a straightened paperclip to press the "reset" button on the camera itself.
2) When it was done rebooting, I used the app and clicked the "Reset Camera Setting" function down at the bottom of the settings screen.

I had previously tried using just the "Reset Camera Setting" in the app, but the rear camera recordings still weren't being written to the memory card, despite the camera announcing "two channels recording." I could still see the rear camera feed using live view in the app.

Performing BOTH reset actions in sequence solved the problem and allowed the camera to once again create video files on the memory card from the rear camera. Thus, it is my conclusion (perhaps incorrect) that the problem resulted from either A) the difference in voltage output between the Viofo USB adapter (5v25) and the River 2 USB output (4v90) when the relayed switched power sources for "drive" mode vs "parking" mode, or B) the lower voltage from the River 2 USB port combined voltage drop from the 9-foot wire run to the camera resulted in too low of a voltage for the camera to operate properly.

Since resetting the camera and using the second wiring schematic shown above, the camera is behaving exactly as expected again, recording both front- and rear-facing videos on the memory card. This seems to rule out potential problem B) from above. Thus, I'm thinking the problem of no rear video being stored on the MicroSD card might be the result of low voltage during parking mode contrasted with potentially higher car voltage once the engine starts again. Just a guess, but I can't come up with any other explanation at the moment.

I have a USB-C voltage tester on order so I can measure the actual voltage that goes into the camera and see how much voltage is being lost in the 20ga wire from HK3-C hard wiring kit. I suspect this is why the voltage regulator that I removed from the wire outputs 5v25 - it accounts for the voltage drop in the long cable run to the camera.

I'm using a SanDisk Max Endurance C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD 256G card. Dashcam Firmware is VIOFO_A139P_V1.1_0629.

Hopefully, this helps others track down issues and get their camera working again.

Attachments

• No Relay.jpg
    No Relay.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi I just saw this thread and then looked up Viofo Memory Cards: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...mory-card-is-recommended-for-a-viofo-dashcam-

I put the Sandisk High Endurance card into my new A139 Pro after purchasing. Sandisk High Endurance 256GB has now been in the A139 Pro camera for 1 month without issue? Should I get rid of this card? What are issues running the card in A139 Pro?

Card came from A139 and ran without issue.

My Resolution: A139 Pro running at 4K 1600P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior) + 1080P 30fps (Rear)

Last edited:
Back