VIOFO A139 Pro - Firmware

2) Optimized: GPS Stamp
I don’t see any changes in the GPS text stamp.
Maybe I need to be moving to see the difference.
I wonder if they fixed the issue of the numerical digits “moving places” as the values change.

IMG_0095.PNG
IMG_0098.PNG

Attachments

• 0615 .png
    0615 .png
    168.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 0605 .png
    0605 .png
    168.5 KB · Views: 25
numerical digits “moving places” as the values change.
That's sad.

That used to happen on older models.
It was fixed and I would have thought once it was fixed all firmware going forward wouldn't have that problem.

I wonder if they have a repository for the code they write with history? I doubt it.

That's sad.
I’ve been testing Viofo cameras since Feb 2020.
A129 Pro
A129 Plus
A119 Mini
A229
A139 Pro
WM1
A119 Mini 2

Whenever I get a new camera I keep seeing the same little mistakes like this that require a firmware update for correction.
It’s like they have a different team of engineers making the different models, and the engineering teams do not talk to each other to discuss these “non” issues.

I used to have a co-worker that we called “Mr. Copy & Paste”.
He would write one report, and keep using it over, and over again only changing the names of the individuals involved, locations, etc.
His reports were kicked back 5-10 times a month each time he would submit it for approval.
Everyone would call him a useless employee.
My supervisor would say;
“There’s no such thing as a useless employee, they can always be used a bad example”.
-Chuck

I would have thought once it was fixed all firmware going forward wouldn't have that problem.
Whenever I get a new camera I keep seeing the same little mistakes like this that require a firmware update for correction.
It’s like they have a different team of engineers making the different models, and the engineering teams do not talk to each other to discuss these “non” issues.
Remember that Viofo don't write all the FW themselves from scratch. They start with the base code from the DSP supplier (Novatek) then apply their own modifications. Some of these issues might be inherent in the source code. Yes, Viofo should be able to apply the same corrections each time, but I can understand how such small things may be overlooked.

but I can understand how such small things may be overlooked.
I disagree.
Back in the 80’s these small issues would have been caught, and corrected with basic quality control standards before products left the factory.
Today manufacturers ship out complete hardware with incomplete software, and paying consumers have unwittingly become Quality Control Inspectors by reporting bugs through tech support inquiry.

The name on the front of the camera is Viofo, not Novatek.
Viofo is ultimately responsible, and when consumers get upset they’ll remember the name of the product, not the parts inside.
Sorry for the rant. Lol
-Chuck

Remember that Viofo don't write all the FW themselves from scratch. They start with the base code from the DSP supplier (Novatek) then apply their own modifications. Some of these issues might be inherent in the source code. Yes, Viofo should be able to apply the same corrections each time, but I can understand how such small things may be overlooked.
I'm wondering if the software is outsourced but it's still no excuse.

@Panzer Platform made a good point about the name on the product is what the customer will remember.

Today manufacturers ship out complete hardware with incomplete software, and paying consumers have unwittingly become Quality Control Inspectors by reporting bugs through tech support inquiry.
I don't think Viofo are alone in this. My phone has 112 apps waiting for updates, and I suspect at least half of those include bug fixes. My phone and laptop routinely receive updates to fix bugs in the OS.

I agree that back in the days before 'connected' devices, electronic hardware seemed to be less complicated, had better quality control, and mostly the devices just worked as expected.

Think back to the days of video games in cartridges like the SNES. It used to be that when a company was ready to release a product, that it was it. A video game’s code would effectively be etched in stone once it was released and so they had to spend time getting it right as much as possible. Lots of products were like that.

Now that firmware updates post-sale are an option, it seems to be the norm to release stuff sooner and fix it later.

It is admittedly hard, if not impossible, to have a bug-free product, not to mention things continue to get more complex over time, but still it does seem to be a trend to release buggy products at launch and rely on future updates later.

Think back to the days of video games
007 373 5963
up up down down left right left right b a start

Also, in the 80’s when you unboxed a new consumer electronic product you never saw a notice that said;
“STOP DO NOT RETURN TO STORE IF YOU ARE HAVING DIFFICULTIES PLEASE CALL 1 800 TECH SUPPORT”
lol

Here are two screenshots made from DCV – the first from 0605 on 6/18 at 12:12p, and the second from 0615 on 6/20 (today) at 11:28a – about 45 minutes earlier in the day. While I can't say the lighting conditions were exactly the same, they are close. It would appear that Viofo has been adjusting the contrast in the image processing. The newer FW images seem to have slightly more contrast... notice the difference especially in the rear camera.

Attachments

• June 18.jpg
    June 18.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 69
  • June 20.jpg
    June 20.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 69
Think back to the days of video games in cartridges like the SNES. It used to be that when a company was ready to release a product, that it was it. A video game’s code would effectively be etched in stone once it was released and so they had to spend time getting it right as much as possible. Lots of products were like that.

Now that firmware updates post-sale are an option, it seems to be the norm to release stuff sooner and fix it later.

It is admittedly hard, if not impossible, to have a bug-free product, not to mention things continue to get more complex over time, but still it does seem to be a trend to release buggy products at launch and rely on future updates later.
We also did not have smartphones like today. Wonder if some of the updates are related to newer phone support via app. But I agree things needed to be built solid. In todays day and age something goes wrong it spreads quickly.

007 373 5963
up up down down left right left right b a start

Also, in the 80’s when you unboxed a new consumer electronic product you never saw a notice that said;
“STOP DO NOT RETURN TO STORE IF YOU ARE HAVING DIFFICULTIES PLEASE CALL 1 800 TECH SUPPORT”
lol
I sold my classic NES last year. Love me some Super Mario Brothers.

I’ve been testing Viofo cameras since Feb 2020.
A129 Pro
A129 Plus
A119 Mini
A229
A139 Pro
WM1
A119 Mini 2

I used to have a co-worker that we called “Mr. Copy & Paste”.
He would write one report, and keep using it over, and over again only changing the names of the individuals involved, locations, etc.
His reports were kicked back 5-10 times a month each time he would submit it for approval.
Everyone would call him a useless employee.
My supervisor would say;
“There’s no such thing as a useless employee, they can always be used a bad example”.
-Chuck
Viofo liked this post! :unsure: Thats Bill, or used to be.

You must have the gift of the gab lol

@Vortex Radar @Panzer Platform @safedrivesolutions
In this post Software also includes Firmware and apps.

Consider this for the reason software gets updated in the internet world we live in.
1. Security. Software is always being attacked so some updates are specific for this reason. Microsoft comes to mind straight away. (using old libraries on new releases is always fraught with danger)
2. Greed. Companies change their software licence so they can gouge money from the people who become reliant on it. Almost like a bait and switch.
3. Using the customer as the test bunny.
4. Poorly managed programing code and having no central repository.

I'm sure I could go on but what is important is that Dashcams that don't talk to the internet usually have their software updated because it is faulty in some way. Sometimes a company like Viofo releases firmware because a customer has requested a special feature. That is not something many companies will do. Actually most won't even listen so, 对Viofo致以赞赏 Kudos to Viofo

However when it comes to the apps that are on your phone some updates are needed possibly due to potential hacking via their software or because the software has errors or improvements in it. Every new phone could become a problem for programmers. In viofo case, every new released dashcam seems to have to be added to their app.

If the device is never connected to the internet then I don't see a need to update the software assuming the device works as expected.

Cheers

It seems on this firmware 5Ghz WiFi finally works great with my S10e. It just switched flawlessly and I already used it a few times without any problems.
Thanks for the fix!

On v1.1_0605 l couldn't even connect using 5Ghz and since I had no time to deal with that, I left it on 2.4Ghz.

On whatever version I had before that, 5Ghz issues were also present but it was kind of working, probably not too stable, I don't remember.

A139 Pro Firmware v1.1_0615

Change Log:

1) Optimized: APP live stream
2) Optimized: GPS Stamp
3) Optimized: Video quality
4) Other Bug Fixes.
Nice that there is new firmware, but this whole process makes me very hesitant to buy a A139 pro:
  1. Although the link above links to the Viofo.com website, there isn't even a download category for the A139 pro on that website: https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/folders/19000140970
  2. At Viofo Benelux, the latest firmware is V1.1_0321: https://www.viofo.nl/en/pages/viofo-a139-pro-firmware
Somehow this feels very unorganized to me. What do other people think?

Back