VIOFO A229 Pro FIRMWARE

I have a matching pic :)

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 38
Hello. I just installed my 2CH A229 Pro today. Everything seems to work fine, but I wanted to upgrade to the latest firmware. The Viofo support site shows Version: V1.0_230928 for both front and rear cameras. Where are you finding the newer versions?

Hello. I just installed my 2CH A229 Pro today. Everything seems to work fine, but I wanted to upgrade to the latest firmware. The Viofo support site shows Version: V1.0_230928 for both front and rear cameras. Where are you finding the newer versions?

Last edited:
Here are the latest firmwares for the front and rear cameras of the A229 Pro.

Front V1.1_231208
Rear V1.0_231207
So where do you go to download this latest version? Viofo's website still has September versions as the latest. Also, what format to use on the SD card, exfat or fat32, or either?

So where do you go to download this latest version? Viofo's website still has September versions as the latest
Also, what format to use on the SD card, exfat or fat32, or either?
FAT32
Take a memory card up to 32 GB and you will be happy.

FAT32
Take a memory card up to 32 GB and you will be happy.
I have the recommended 256 GB Viofo card. Also I formatted the card in camera a couple of days ago, and it changed it from FAT32 to EXFAT!

I have the recommended 256 GB Viofo card. Also I formatted the card in camera a couple of days ago, and it changed it from FAT32 to EXFAT!
There is a video here on how to flash it.

So I formatted my SD card in the camera and it set it to exFat, how can I easily reformat it back to Fat32 so I can run the firmware upgrade please.

Not to worry I downloaded Disk Genius free edition and easily got it back to Fat32 and upgraded the firmware.

Last edited:
So I formatted my SD card in the camera and it set it to exFat, how can I easily reformat it back to Fat32 so I can run the firmware upgrade please.

Not to worry I downloaded Disk Genius free edition and easily got it back to Fat32 and upgraded the firmware.

I wonder if it's a bug that you cannot upgrade firmware if the card is exFAT formatted? As of now you need to either have another card on hand that's FAT32 to upgrade the firmware, which is isn't ideal as some may not have a spare card, or you need to reformat the only card you have, and unless you copy the data from it, you've lost that data. I think part of the exFAT thing is to allow you to connect a phone using USB-C directly to the cam via the rear-cam port and access the files on it / copy them to the phone, I'm not sure what the other advantages of exFAT are for the cam, maybe something for the future?

Before installing them in the DVR, I format memory cards to FAT32 using guiformat2.
If I need to update the firmware:
1. I take out the memory card from the DVR
2. I upload the firmware in the laptop to the memory card
3. I insert the memory card into the DVR, turn it on and it updates.

Before updating, please format the card to FAT32 using this program on the computer first. (do not tick quick format)

Firmware Front Camera
Version: V1.1_231208

Change Log for V1.1_231208
1. Optimized: Image quality for front cam and rear cam.
2. Added: Support exFat file format.
3. Fixed: Bluetooth connection.
4. Other bugs fixed.

Firmware Rear Camera
Version: V1.0_231207

Change Log for V1.0_231207
1. Fixed: Rotate and exposure settings cannot be kept after powering off.
2. IQ updated.
3. Other bugs fixed.

Neither the manufacturer nor the speed of the card affects the firmware process.
Any memory card formatted in FAT32 is suitable for flashing the firmware.

A229Pro/Plus: To update our newest firmware, you need to format your card to FAT32 first.
With the newest firmware, you need not to format it to FAT32 when you update the next firmware.
Because the exFAT file format has been added to this new firmware.

Last edited:
Before updating, please format the card to FAT32 using this program on the computer first. (do not tick quick format)
Is there a recommended program to format as FAT32 on macOS, and linux, given that the recommendation provided is for windows.

Personally I use Apple's Disk Utility application when I format the SD cards to FAT32, the option is named MS-DOS (FAT) but post format it lists it as MS-DOS (FAT32) and that seems to work for me. I suspect there is some terminal command (dd?) to do it, but that might not be useful for the majority of people.

Even though new firmware of late November and newer defaults to exFAT when placed in camera, hopefully future Firmware updates won't require re-formatting back to FAT32 again :(
Probably easier just to keep a smaller (32GB, they're cheap) card around for F/W updates.

Probably easier just to keep a smaller (32GB, they're cheap) card around for F/W updates.

That's basically what I have now done. I've got two cards, one with an F on the front, the other with an R. You can probably guess which firmware goes on which card :D Why two cards? I'm too lazy to go back inside and drop the other firmware onto the same card, and I don't have a laptop so cannot sit in the car and do it from there :D

Would be nice to have ota firmware updates and ditch these sdcard ones, would also be nice to access to beta ota firmware too.

That's basically what I have now done. I've got two cards, one with an F on the front, the other with an R. You can probably guess which firmware goes on which card :D Why two cards? I'm too lazy to go back inside and drop the other firmware onto the same card, and I don't have a laptop so cannot sit in the car and do it from there :D
You don't need to place only one of the firmware updates on the memory card at a time. You can place both on the same memory card. If both are on the same memory card, the front camera firmware will be installed first. After the front firmware is installed and it reboots, it will boot up and after a few seconds it will detect the rear camera firmware file is still on the card. It will then start installing the rear camera firmware. I've used this approach numerous times and it works every time.

Would be nice to have ota firmware updates and ditch these sdcard ones, would also be nice to access to beta ota firmware too.
Vantrue do the OTA update thing very well at least on the android side of things. Can't speak for iOS cos don't have first hand experience there.

I just purchased and installed my first dash cam, the Viofo A229 pro last Friday and it’s been great so far. I just installed the firmware 231208;231207 but the Viofo app now shows max resolution of 1944p24 + 1944p24 there is no option of 2160P30 + 1440P30? The dash cam screen and in the dash cam resolution settings it does show 2160P30 + 1440P30. Is it a bug?

Back