Viofo a229 pro poor video quality - can't read plates

YerMawsAWelder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently installed a Viofo a229 pro after looking at reviews on this forum and YouTube.

I'm running it in single channel mode on the highest bit rate and I'm struggling to read plates as soon as there is any motion. I've reviewed a bunch of videos and skipping through it frame by frame in VLC media player and I'm not even close to reading any plates in motion even at low speeds, most of the time its a complete blur.

I'm in the UK where the license places seem to have bold lettering on a reflective background compared to the US so I thought that would have made it easier.

The YouTubers seemed to have more luck than me for some reason. I've got the CPF installed and tested the camera during the day.

Is there anything I might have missed settings wise?

Forgot to mention I updated to the latest firmware Version: V1.1_231208

Just to make sure, did you remove the plastic protective sticker on the dashcam lens AND the CPL filter?

Yup removed both stickers. My point of reference is the YouTube videos where they sometimes capture plates from on coming traffic. I've not been able to re-create this so far even at low speeds / short distances.

Yup removed both stickers. My point of reference is the YouTube videos where they sometimes capture plates from on coming traffic. I've not been able to re-create this so far even at low speeds / short distances.
It is probably just the winter weather we currently have! Turning your headlights on may help, especially when using the HDR setting,.

But can you post an image or video so that we can see the issue? Very hard to diagnose any image quality issues when we can't see what you are talking about...

Is there anything I might have missed settings wise?
In the video from my A229 Pro you can see the license plates of oncoming cars.
The model settings are in the topic.

Thanks, your examples are much better than what I'm getting. The main difference I can see is the EV = -0.3 so I'll try that and report back.

I've attached a few pics from today, it was over cast here. There were some sunny spells yesterday but it wasn't much better. I've formatted the card and done the firmware upgrade since then so no pics.

The seems like vehicles that are centered and stationary read easily, but as soon as there's a little bit of motion and to the side it'll blur.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-23 184304.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 184304.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot 2024-01-23 184559.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 184559.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot 2024-01-23 184749.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 184749.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
Thanks, your examples are much better than what I'm getting. The main difference I can see is the EV = -0.3 so I'll try that and report back.

I've attached a few pics from today, it was over cast here. There were some sunny spells yesterday but it wasn't much better. I've formatted the card and done the firmware upgrade since then so no pics.

The seems like vehicles that are centered and stationary read easily, but as soon as there's a little bit of motion and to the side it'll blur.
HDR should be off during daylight hours. Only enable HDR at night. I'd start there.

Turn off HDR during day. You have a timer specially created for that.

I've attached a few pics from today, it was over cast here.
Looks to me like the problem there is the weather, it is very difficult for any camera in those conditions.
I guess your "sunny" images were at higher speed, or towards the ends of daylight? Even when it is sunny in a UK January, it can still be quite dark!

Once we get into February it will improve considerably.
We see this problem every year!

Got a chance to test it with the sun out today, looks like HDR was the culprit. Makes sense now that I remember how HDR works.

Still a bit blurred at higher speeds but I'm happy with the improvement.

Plates facing the sun were over exposed but they were a lot easier to read when they were underexposed with direct sunlight in the camera so I'll try EV = -0.3 next time.

Thanks for the tips. Anyone know how to remove the big red VIOFO logo on the top left?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-24 134812.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 134812.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot 2024-01-24 141749.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 141749.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2024-01-24 142210.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 142210.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
Don’t seem to have this on my app, is there a new version? I’ll have a look again in the morning when I can go get it out the car again, WiFi keeps disconnecting when I try to use the app in the car, same issue I have in my own car with Thinkware app.

I’ve set it now anyway on the device, after your previous reply

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 5
WiFi keeps disconnecting when I try to use the app in the car, same issue I have in my own car with Thinkware app.
Try turning your phone Bluetooth off while using the app...

Don’t seem to have this on my app, is there a new version? I’ll have a look again in the morning when I can go get it out the car again, WiFi keeps disconnecting when I try to use the app in the car, same issue I have in my own car with Thinkware app.

I’ve set it now anyway on the device, after your previous reply
Please update both the app and camera firmware versions.

Back