Viofo VS1

Must be an new entry/budget level on WM1, but with Starvis 2 and HDR?

Interesting design for a single channel camera, with vertical orientation, perhaps an alternative to the WM1?

Nice to see Starvis 2 (IXM675) and HDR in an entry level camera.

The characteristics are more interesting than WM1.

Video Resolution:
2560 * 1440P 30fps
1920 * 1080P 30fps

HDR (High Dynamic Range):
Off/On/HDR Timer. The default setting is Off. The multi-exposure HDR
technique helps automatically balance the lighting in over bright and over
dark areas to avoid over exposure issues.

Wi-Fi Channel: Off / 2.4GHz / 5GHz
We recommend choosing the high speed 5GHz Wi-Fi mode.

Built-in CPL. (y)

Not sure how I feel about the vertical architecture given that so many vehicles today have a sensor housing of some sort behind the RVM. For many that would mean mounting the camera 'off center'. :unsure:

The characteristics are more interesting than WM1.

Video Resolution:
2560 * 1440P 30fps
1920 * 1080P 30fps

HDR (High Dynamic Range):
Off/On/HDR Timer. The default setting is Off. The multi-exposure HDR
technique helps automatically balance the lighting in over bright and over
dark areas to avoid over exposure issues.

Wi-Fi Channel: Off / 2.4GHz / 5GHz
We recommend choosing the high speed 5GHz Wi-Fi mode.
Seems very very basic :/

Seeing references to VS2, VS3, VS1 Plus, VS1 Pro too. Maybe a new product line series?

It's almost like they watched my WM1 review, and fixed all my Cons execpt one. lol

WM1 Pros & Cons .png

It's almost like they watched my WM1 review, and fixed all my Cons execpt one. lol

View attachment 67868

View attachment 67868

Saw something somewhere on a listing about there being 5ghz wifi for the VS1, will post when I find again. Otherwise yer everything else unfulfilled on the wish list. Better write Santa another card

It's in the manual.

Santa answered all my wishes except 2K60fps option.
It is, saw it somewhere else first though before checking the manual haha. Bleary eyes here 4am ;)

Built-in CPL. (y)

Not sure how I feel about the vertical architecture given that so many vehicles today have a sensor housing of some sort behind the RVM. For many that would mean mounting the camera 'off center'. :unsure:
The first version will be without CPL. The CPL can cause the rainbow effect in the daytime, and affect nighttime video quality.
The CPL doesn't support attaching separately.

The first version will be without CPL. The CPL can cause the rainbow effect in the daytime, and affect nighttime video quality.
The CPL doesn't support attaching separately.
What about 2K60fps option?
I want my MTV. lol

I didn't see the obvious advantage of 2K 60fps. But 4K 60fps maybe make a difference.
60fps will cause more heat.
60fps requires more processing power.
60fps requires more bitrate.
60fps will add cost.
60fps may not increase license plate readability.
60fps degrades image quality at night & low light conditions.
60fps is not compatible with HDR.

The reason I keep asking you to make all your cameras with 4K60fps & 2K60fps resolution options is because it requires overbuilding the camera systems to cope with higher performance demands.
The end result will be a more robust, durable, reliable operating camera.
If the user never selects the 60fps option, and always selects 30fps they still gain the benefits from the “heavy duty” overbuilt components.
The camera will operate cooler.
The processor will not be running at “maximum” limits.
This should increase stability, reliability, durability, longevity, etc.
This should reduce recording malfunctions.

For example, I’m seeing some issues with the A229 Plus in 3-CH configuration.
It appears the processor is struggling to keep up with the task of writing / storing files to the SD Card.
Sometime they are out of order in the file list.
It is also slow to respond to button presses when navigating settings menus.
It also takes a longer time to boot up, and start recording.

My dji osmo action record 4K 60 FPS at 100 mbit, nothing wrong with that.
TBH i would prefer a 30 FPS 4K dashcam recording at 100 mbit , but you would then have to provide me with another means of storage and data transfer / backup CUZ in that case even a 2 TB drive will not store a whole lot of footage.

It appears the processor is struggling to keep up with the task of writing / storing files to the SD Card.
I dont think that is a ressources issue, i have seen this now and then, it instantly throw me off when i am used to see A - B - A - B on the file list and then suddenly it is A- B - B - A

I have indeed noticed the Vantrue N5 are slower to boot its 4 channels, but compared to other cameras currently in my car it is not super slow.

My personal preference will remain 2 channel systems.

Back