Yet Another Vantrue S1-Pro Unboxing, Review, and Impression - Part 1

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
Like a few others I was approached by @Jeff_Vantrue and offered a Vantrue Sonnett S1-Pro camera for evaluation. Here in no particular order are my thoughts, observations and impressions.

I - Unboxing - just pictures, no video.

Seal on box was broken, each camera bag was sealed and appeared untouched. The seal itself is perforated so it may have been broken when it was applied.

02-BoxBottom.JPG

I noticed on the serial number sticker on the box that the model was "sipro test". Don't know what that might indicate - could be a preproduction version or simply a model name used on evaluation units for inventory control purposes.

99_SerialNbr.JPG

II - Overall visual/tactile impression

Solid, substantial feel.

All cameras, cables, tools, etc. were packaged versus tossed loose in the box. The only items that were loose were warning stickers, manual, quick start guide, and electrostatic stickers

04-OpenBox2.JPG 06-OpenBox4.JPG 08-Contents-Unbagged.JPG

And to give a sense of the size compared to something everyone should be familiar with:

10-SizeCompare2.JPG

The lens is ball mounted providing horizontal and vertical adjustment - very solid and not likely to move after setting. Unfortunately the range of adjustment is fairly limited which will probably make it unsuitable for more vertical windshields (without getting creative using wedges, etc.)...

11-LensAdjustUp.JPG 12-LensAdjustDown.JPG 13-LensAdjustRight.JPG 14-LensAdjustLeft.JPG

...and will preclude mounting on sensor housings as I like to do.

III - Documentation

You can tell this is a new product as the QR code in manual links to an N4 Pro manual on the Vantrue site (true for both the printed version and the PDF linked below). There is also limited content compared to some of the manuals I've seen for other Vantrue cameras. Overall it's fair to say it's a 'work in progress' as indicated by:

- Some icons missing from text but are OK in the PDF version posted here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vantrue-s1-pro-structural-design.49419/page-2#post-600551
It's probably just a printer issue as the space is there, just no icon.

- Section 4.8 of PDF manual is not in printed version and remaining sections renumbered.

- Index in the manual doesn't always match up to the content.

- Manual mentions playback mode but is silent as to how to get there (i.e. stop recording).

- Confusing explanation for connecting to computer. Page 19 of the manual says to connect using the supplied cable between the computer and camera. I assume the port to be used is the rear camera port but it's unclear (actually silent) if that's the case. Confirmation is definitely called for just to remove any doubts. ***See next post.

- Manual says that 30% of card capacity is reserved for 'event' files. New event files after that will overwrite the oldest event files, same as for normal files. I see nothing on the card being pre-allocated so my assumption is that's monitored by the firmware in real-time. Bottom line is if using a 128GB card less than 90GB will be available for other uses - normal files, photos, and GPS data (GPS data looks to be stored in it's own hidden folder).

....Continued in Part 2: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-unboxing-review-and-impression-part-2.49651/

Last edited:
- Confusing explanation for connecting to computer. Page 19 of the manual says to connect using the supplied cable between the computer and camera. I assume the port to be used is the rear camera port but it's unclear (actually silent) if that's the case. Confirmation is definitely called for just to remove any doubts.
I just tested this and it appears the rear camera port is actually a multi-function port. Among other things I was able to power the camera through it (obviously not with the rear camera attached). Could be useful if for some reason you want the camera powered but not attached to the mount. Can't think of a reason why except you may want to reconfigure the camera but don't want to sit in the car while doing it so you bring it into the house, and enjoy a cold beverage while sitting in your rocker/recliner. :woot:

Last edited:
I just tested this and it appears the rear camera port is actually a multi-function port. Among other things I was able to power the camera through it (obviously not with the rear camera attached). Could be useful if for some reason you want the camera powered but not attached to the mount. Can't think of a reason why except you may want to reconfigure the camera but don't want to sit in the car while doing it so you bring it into the house, and enjoy a cold beverage while sitting in your rocker/recliner. :woot:
You can also access the SD card through the rear camera port.

I much prefer this form factor over say the N5 i am testing and the N4, but of course here also a lot fewer cameras to account for.
I especially also like that the lens are able to turn sideways a little ( all you would need )

Still a bit off shaped, but i think it will be good ( to my personal taste ) as always hard to get a feel for things in a picture.

Back