G90-7S (A7LA70 chipset + GPS) vs. Mini 0803 (A7LA50 chipset + GPS)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
So what I found out is only partial answers.

1) There is currently NO plan for an adhesive GPS mount for the G90.
2) When I asked what GPS module they used I got this response: 'the GPS is made from plastic' after trying to explain what I meant I gave up..
3) Yes it does support geo-tagging.

I would like to clarify JooVuu has NOT tested whether or not it does in fact support geo-tagging but they are stating it does.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi everyone,
So what I found out is only partial answers.

1) There is currently NO plan for an adhesive GPS mount for the G90.
2) When I asked what GPS module they used I got this response: 'the GPS is made from plastic' after trying to explain what I meant I gave up..
3) Yes it does support geo-tagging.

I would like to clarify JooVuu has NOT tested whether or not it does in fact support geo-tagging but they are stating it does.

Kind regards,

JooVuu
LOL, thanks so much for trying.:D

I'd also sent SZDome an email asking about an adhesive G90 camera mount.... You've got to love the issues with 'Chinglish' (Chinese to English translation & vice versa). Once I get a reply about the mount I'll try to find out more about the GPS module.
Yes, the geo-tagging is definitely in the video recordings and not recorded separately. Although that obviously won't be the case if the GPS module really is made only from plastic!:p

More importantly though, have you had that G90 order from @Tobi@s yet??!o_O

Last edited:
@Hilts ,

Are there any markings/model numbers, etc. on the GPS module you are testing with the g90 a70 chipset?

Can you take closer images of just the GPS module? Take physical measurements, anything?

Thanks Hilts, i was hanging between these two, no need to hesitate anymore. You made my day, punk, :p new G90 it is.

@Hilts ,
Are there any markings/model numbers, etc. on the GPS module you are testing with the g90 a70 chipset?
Can you take closer images of just the GPS module? Take physical measurements, anything?
There are no markings on the outside but these photos might help...
Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 19.24.19.png Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 19.24.35.png Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 19.25.00.png Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 19.25.16.png
The letters on the circuit board are VCC, GND, TXD & GP10 with C&Q 89 in large letters on the reverse - hope that means something to someone.o_O
External dimensions of the GPS module approx. 46mm x 39mm x 13mm.

@Dionic90 - What FW/IQ have you got in yours? r439M or something else?

P.S. I've just ordered a GPS module for our A118 from FoxOffer - When it arrives I'll compare the internals with this one & try it on the G90-7S if it looks hopeful.;)

Last edited:
Thanks Hilts, i was hanging between these two, no need to hesitate anymore. You made my day, punk, :p new G90 it is.
@Sabe (Or should that be "Inspector Harry Callahan"?) - No problem. Have you taken a good look at the video 'shots' 5 or 6 times?!o_O

Last edited:
@Hilts ,

I'll confirm the firmware later.

You mentioned you're getting another GPS module for the a118. Curious, is this going to be similar to the one we are discussing here?

I've ordered a street guardian from @Pier28 to see if its going to work with the g90 a70 chipset or not. Should hopefully get it by weekend...

Thanks for the photos @Hilts . you sir are a gentleman and a scholar....

@Hilts ....You mentioned you're getting another GPS module for the a118. Curious, is this going to be similar to the one we are discussing here?
I've ordered a street guardian from @Pier28 to see if its going to work with the g90 a70 chipset or not. Should hopefully get it by weekend...
Thanks for the photos @Hilts . you sir are a gentleman and a scholar....
Dim problem o gwbl (No problem at all). Opening it up to take photos was simple, once I'd taken the sticky back off it.
To be brutally honest I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to circuit boards, so I've no idea what I was looking at.:confused: A lot of the GPS modules I've seen look very similar externally, but it's the box of "magic tricks" inside that counts!:p
The GPS module (with the SG9665GM?), you've ordered from Pier28, will be the same as the one I've ordered for our A118. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it!:D

Not sure if @Dionic90 or @Tobby ordered theirs from you, they were asking for information that I don't have.
Yes, my dashcam is ordered from JooVuu. (it hasn't yet arrived, maybe tomorrow).
Many thanks for the pictures with the GPS module and the comparison between dashcams. The black case has everything (the chip, backup battery, antenna). The ceramic patch antenna is on top (marked C&Q 89).
Also, red wire: VCC - power
?blue wire: GND - ground
?grey wire: TxD - Transmit
(or changing between blue and grey?). Now I'm wondering if it will work, not with a similar GPS module as the one for A118 which I think it will work 100%, but with a module like this one:
ibxBMEIDAQOtLz.jpg

This is NEO6MV2 GPS Module and it costs around 10€ (shipping included).

Also, do you know if the GPS (in your videos) was turned on ? I searched for some traces but I couldn't find anything. I'm curious if the coordinates are embedded subtitles (in the .mov files) or it's a more complicated process.
Could you please upload a file which was recorded with the GPS on (not necessarily to have the coordinates/speed displayed in the movie).

There are no markings on the outside but these photos might help...
View attachment 7799 View attachment 7800 View attachment 7801 View attachment 7802
The letters on the circuit board are VCC, GND, TXD & GP10 with C&Q 89 in large letters on the reverse - hope that means something to someone.o_O
External dimensions of the GPS module approx. 46mm x 39mm x 13mm.

@Dionic90 - What FW/IQ have you got in yours? r439M or something else?

P.S. I've just ordered a GPS module for our A118 from FoxOffer - When it arrives I'll compare the internals with this one & try it on the G90-7S if it looks hopeful.;)

housing is the same, internals are different

....Also, do you know if the GPS (in your videos) was turned on ? I searched for some traces but I couldn't find anything. I'm curious if the coordinates are embedded subtitles (in the .mov files) or it's a more complicated process.
Could you please upload a file which was recorded with the GPS on (not necessarily to have the coordinates/speed displayed in the movie).
I use Datakam for Mac V2.3.1 which shows the video footage, speed and location. I can confirm that four of the G90-7S raw video footage links, two in Section 4 (2304 x 1296) & two more in Section 5 (2560 x 1080), should have the GPS data imbedded in their .MOV files. These were all recorded as 1 minute long files from the outset.

N.B. Those presented in Sections 1 to 3 were edited down to 1 minute (from longer 5 minute) footage using iMovie and then saved as 1920 x 1080 resolution before being uploaded to MEGA. I have checked these and there is no GPS data present, after being edited through iMovie.

Last edited:
Thanks jokiin, I thought as much. Needle & haystack come to mind.:rolleyes:
It'll be far easier to find out from SZDome where to buy the right GPS modules!! Do you deal with them at all???

Last edited:
And? So? What does this mean?

Cost of being an early adopter. There is no information about anything on these cheap cameras and GPS boxes and sometimes one has to buy gear and be the guinea pig.

I've reached out to the dome people but no response. I know the Chinese thanksgiving (sept. 5) is here for them so this may also be the reason for silence.

Cost of being an early adopter. There is no information about anything on these cheap cameras and GPS boxes and sometimes one has to buy gear and be the guinea pig.
I presume @jokiin means that the GPS module you've ordered from Pier28 probably will not work with your G90 A7LA70D.
I'm sure that SZDome will advise where you can buy the correct GPS module. JooVuu might even be able to get hold of some, as he's ordered quite a few G90's from them.o_O

Last edited:

I've reached out to the dome people but no response. I know the Chinese thanksgiving (sept. 5) is here for them so this may also be the reason for silence.

If the protocol and pinouts match it could still work, if you can get the data sheet for the one it's meant to use I could look it up, might not be easy to get that info though

I like the photo that shows the alternative way to mount the GPS module. Rather then stick it to the dashboard facing up towards the sky, you added a supplemental piece of double stick tape to keep it right side up against the glass. @Dionic90 if the GPS doesn't work, we're more than happy to accept the return for a refund. (or maybe you might want to the new Street Guardian SG96550GM to go with it?) ;-)

screen-shot-2014-09-04-at-09-18-26-png.7772

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pier28 ,

Hahaha I already have three cameras as is! Just a week ago I had never heard of dashcams and now I'm knee deep in them. ;-)

I appreciate the ability to return if need be.

Back