A119 - Ribbon Cable/GPS Issue

Brandon53150

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased an A119 a couple of days ago. When I received it, the GPS didn't work and it would not power on using the USB port in the GPS mount. It would power up and operate normally when using the camera's side USB port. As I've been a lurker here for awhile, I did some searching and someone mentioned a common problem with the ribbon cable not being properly seated. I opened up the camera and sure enough, the ribbon cable was not connected to the COM2 board that the GPS mount connects to. I reconnected it and tested, but when the ribbon cable is connected, the unit will not power on at all no matter which port I plug power in to.

Is it possible that there is a short somewhere and, if so, what is the technical name for these parts that I can talk to VIOFO about? I have tried to submit a help ticket and explained it much the same way I did here, but they think I'm talking about the GPS module being defective. I can't tell if the GPS module is defective until I can get power and connection to the pins first.

Many thanks!!

Thank you. Connecting direct to the camera does work, but only if the ribbon cable is disconnected inside the camera. If the ribbon cable is connected, direct to the camera does not work either. This would be okay, but with this problem, there is zero GPS ability.

Thank you. Connecting direct to the camera does work, but only if the ribbon cable is disconnected inside the camera. If the ribbon cable is connected, direct to the camera does not work either. This would be okay, but with this problem, there is zero GPS ability.
Maybe just return it while you can under the 30 day return policy. No need for you to suffer with a defective unit. But.... I hope you did not jeopardize the return policy by opening it up Sometimes the serial sticker sits on top of the screws

Might have to. I like to fix things, but might not be able to with this one.

@viofo is here on the forum, maybe they can provide more info. But it does sound like you've got a bad unit. Will it power up with ribbon cable connected inside, and USB cable connected to side when NOT on the GPS mount? That would tell you if the GPS mount is the cause. And at least you could use it with the non-GPS mount while you wait for the new gps mount to arrive.

If the ribbon cable is connected inside, the unit is DOA on all USB slots. If I disconnect the ribbon cable, the unit works (but only via the side USB slot).

If the ribbon cable is connected inside, the unit is DOA on all USB slots. If I disconnect the ribbon cable, the unit works (but only via the side USB slot).
if it won't power up from the side USB port even with the gps mount disconnected, then it sounds like the short is in the ribbon cable itself, or possibly the plate exposed thru the 4 slots on the mounting face. can you see any solder blobs on either of the ZIF connectors for the ribbon cable?

since you obviously aren't afraid of taking things apart, maybe @viofo would be willing to send you a new ribbon cable and/or connector plate (what you referred to as the COM2 board in your original post). I haven't opened up my production A119 to see how the ribbon/gps connector looks inside, and my pre-production unit didn't have it.

at least in the mean time you can disconnect the ribbon cable and use it without GPS, so at least you have a functional dashcam.

If you power from the side USB port, the GPS function still works?

The problem may be that the cable is a bit crooked, so try to make sure it is fully seated and straight. Otherwise it can short across the pins in the connector.

To verify a short, test continuity across all four contacts in the front of the camera. There should be no zero ohm shorts between any two contacts.

Worst case is if your power supply can source a few amps, then your voltage regulator starts to overheat because the 3.3v is shorted to ground. I think I had that happen, but I smelled it burning quickly enough that it's still mostly functional. We'll see what long term problems I have.

My a119 is with bad contact in power by gps, direct usb in the camera works normally. Is it possible to open the gps to check the circuit internally? I believe it is the spring of the feed pin, because forcing to the side solves. I'm from Brazil, sorry my English.

Back