A119 unable to power on from GPS module

nasiayam

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
My A119 with GPS module was working perfectly until yesterday. The USB cable was plugged in the GPS module all this while.

Yesterday morning it's still working fine, then afternoon when i start my car, my A119 is not turned on. I then connect the USB cable to A119 directly, and it powered up fine, GSP was working too.

Tried a few times to connect and disconnect the USB cable to the GPS module, still couldn't power up A119. I check the 4 pins on the GPS module, it looks fine and sprung back after i pressed it. Since the GPS was working, i guess the pins should be working fine.

I bought it early last month, A119 and the GPS module together from Gearbest. The sd card is Lexar x633 64GB.

Since the GPS is working fine now, should i be concern of this GPS module power issue? Or raise a warranty claim from GB?

I had a problem with a GPS unit for the A119 as well. The camera wasn't recording video files properly with the power supply connected to the GPS unit. When I took the camera upstairs, without the GPS unit, the camera and 3 cards worked fine. In the car attached to the GPS unit, it wasn't recording video files properly most of the time using 3 different cards. Connecting the camera directly to the power supply, bypassing the GPS unit, caused all 3 cards to work properly. I requested an RMA and sent the GPS unit back to Spy tech for replacement. I'm waiting to hear on that now. There have been other postings on this issue of the GPS unit functioning as well. It seems like there is a major quality control issue with the GPS unit for this camera.

I had a problem with a GPS unit for the A119 as well. The camera wasn't recording video files properly with the power supply connected to the GPS unit. When I took the camera upstairs, without the GPS unit, the camera and 3 cards worked fine. In the car attached to the GPS unit, it wasn't recording video files properly most of the time using 3 different cards. Connecting the camera directly to the power supply, bypassing the GPS unit, caused all 3 cards to work properly. I requested an RMA and sent the GPS unit back to Spy tech for replacement. I'm waiting to hear on that now. There have been other postings on this issue of the GPS unit functioning as well. It seems like there is a major quality control issue with the GPS unit for this camera.

Does your camera power up when the power supply is connected to the GPS unit?

I like this camera a lot, shame that this issue occurred after using it for less than 2 months

It did power up when connected to the GPS unit, but after a few minutes I kept getting error sounds because video wasn't being recorded properly. Occasionally in the beginning and at the end of the recordings, files would be okay, but all of the others in between were unreadable. I have five of these cameras–I really like them as well– and so far only one of the GPS units has been a problem. I have attached screen shots of the files on the memory card. A properly recorded file should be 910 MB in size, All the others are not readable as video files.

A119  3-11-17 failure to record file list.jpg A119 3-11-17 failure to record file list.jpg

Last edited:
It did power up when connected to the GPS unit, but after a few minutes I kept getting error sounds because video wasn't being recorded properly. Occasionally in the beginning and at the end of the recordings, files would be okay, but all of the others in between were unreadable. I have five of these cameras–I really like them as well– and so far only one of the GPS units has been a problem. I have attached screen shots of the files on the memory card. A properly recorded file should be 910 MB in size, All the others are not readable as video files.

View attachment 29859 View attachment 29860
Wow that's quite an issue with the recordings. Hopefully we can get a feedback from @viofo .

View attachment 29859 View attachment 29860

I got the same problem as you and I also got a problem where I got a working video but with GPS dropouts in the file.

After reading the first post, I switched power inlets and it seems to work better but time will tell.

BTW: I also got a Mac ;)

Edit: It looks much better now with the camera powered directly instead of going through the GPS module. Plenty of successful data without a single glitch

Last edited:
I would keep any original A119/A119S powered directly off the side of the camera full time for maximum stability.

Updated V2 GPS connection system models will be out in the near future to enhance the GPS mount pass through power stability further

Back