A139 (Pro) Telephoto Remote Camera

I've had mixed results with that technique but I think it depends on the type of material you want the tape to adhere to. I recall when everyone was complaining that the VHB tape Street Guardian was supplying with their mounts was peeling off the mount in warm conditions but sticking well to the glass they recommended sanding the plastic but that didn't work at all for me. Using aftermarket 3M VHB tape I purchased elsewhere did the trick. - Plus good prep and surface cleaning.

Then again, 3M recommends abrasion as a technique to try on their Surface Prep page.

I guess if that doesn't work, then go with one of their primers or adhesion promoters but they can be pricey unless you are doing a lot of installations.

View attachment 65304

I used sand paper on the wedges and the housings for my rear mounted Mobius cameras, after they fell off twice due to the heat. Hasn’t failed till now. Don’t know why it didn’t work for you.

I used sand paper on the wedges and the housings for my rear mounted Mobius cameras, after they fell off twice due to the heat. Hasn’t failed till now. Don’t know why it didn’t work for you.

I don't know why it didn't work either but I recall there were quite a lots of complaints. For one thing, the tape Street Guardian was using at the time had odd markings on the release plastic and it appeared as if may have been counterfeit 3M VHB tape, although Rick vehemently denied this as was often the case when SG cams manifested an issue. As I've said, aftermarket VHB tape I purchased finally did the trick which confirmed to me there was a problem with the tape supplied with the camera mounts. I came away feeling that Street Guardian had a questionable Chinese supplier even if they didn't want to admit it.

The 3D printed wedge usually has a glossy finish. Roughing it up a bit with sand paper worked for me.
Thanks. My wedges are ridged from the layer build-up. I re-applied the dual-lock, being more careful about surface preparation and leaving the pad to adhere longer before applying load. It only has to last a few more weeks until we sell / scrap the car.

Any tips for improving image stabilization with telephoto/zoom lenses? I'm getting a lot of movement from the bumps in the road, but the lens pivot itself isn't moving. Heres an example:

Any tips on getting this camera apart? I've been picking at the seams perpendicular to the lens direction but am struggling a little bit:

1685757886481.png

Edit, managed to pop this out, but can’t seem to split it at the rotation joint:

image.jpg
@Dashmellow @TonyM - Seems like y'alls expertise would be useful here.

Last edited:
Disregard.

To save others the trouble and the damage - the port side has a cover that pops off, there are 3 screws there, remove those.

There are two other screws in recessed holes, easy pz.

IMG_8566.jpeg
Here’s some comparison:

Of note, telephoto picked up this plate when the main camera missed it:
IMG_8585.png
IMG_8586.png

There are different types of 3m vhb tape.
Some are better for specific types of material. I don't know the exact type you used.
I use VHB GPH-110GF for many things. This holds on to any material combination I tried so far.
Maybe you can test this.
Just an update:

After switching to a stronger metal infused epoxy and a stronger/more heat resistant VHB (^^^), I finally solved the issue of ‘not sticking’ with the main body telephoto set up.

I stacked the wedges to a desired size and stuck them together with JB weld kwikweld. Let that dry. Then I completely coated the new single wedge piece with the kwikweld again which makes the wedge into a solid block and as hard as stone.

Then I sanded both contact points down and stuck everything together with the VHB GPH-110GF. Thanks again for that recommendation.

Using the strongest metal infused epoxy was absolutely necessary. Nothing I tried before would last in the heat and would start to peel. Also the kwik weld surface is extremely good for sticking VHB, it’s smooth/slick, but in a way that makes the tape stick extremely well.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm doing the same thing as you did. I haven't yet opened up the dashcam to attach the lens, how did you do it/what did you use to attach it? I'm currently have the lens in the bottom right of the picture.
The cover on the side of the dashcam pops off to reveal 3 screws. Really no force should be necessary, I mauled my dashcam thinking I needed force.

The lens threads into the existing thread pattern in the dashcam (after removing factory lens)

Which exact lens do you have, can you send a link? The one I ended up using fits through the factory hole in the dashcam housing which is helpful.

The cover on the side of the dashcam pops off to reveal 3 screws. Really no force should be necessary, I mauled my dashcam thinking I needed force.

The lens threads into the existing thread pattern in the dashcam (after removing factory lens)

Which exact lens do you have, can you send a link? The one I ended up using fits through the factory hole in the dashcam housing which is helpful.

This is the lens I got; https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07GHZ5BBZ
When I have the free time to start working on it and see if it fits.

Could you give me the link to the one that you used and fits, in case this one doesn't work out?

Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
This is the lens I got; https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07GHZ5BBZ
When I have the free time to start working on it and see if it fits.
The vertical angle adjustment on the A139 (& Pro) is only held in place by friction. I would be concerned that a relatively long and heavy varifocal lens may droop over time due to bumps, vibrations etc. Could be worth trying though.

The vertical angle adjustment on the A139 (& Pro) is only held in place by friction. I would be concerned that a relatively long and heavy varifocal lens may droop over time due to bumps, vibrations etc. Could be worth trying though.
Just needs a counter-balance on the other side!

I think there is quite a lot of stiction, so it doesn't tend to creep, but then a pothole might move it without you noticing, just before the important event.

Just needs a counter-balance on the other side!

I think there is quite a lot of stiction, so it doesn't tend to creep, but then a pothole might move it without you noticing, just before the important event.

@TonyM is absolutely correct. A varifocal lens is not a wise choice for this installation because of its weight and size. It will likely get dislodged by bumps in the road and other shocks such as slamming your door shut or making abrupt stops. This lens will also be subject to image compromising micro-vibrations on all but the most pristine road surfaces. This varifocal lens is 45 millimeters long and weighs 34 grams and therein lies the problem. The rear camera module was never designed to support a lens of this size and weight. Additionally, in many installations a lens that long is very likely to hit the glass of your windshield and make the installation difficult or even impossible.

Nigel, considering that you've been railing against the use of telephoto lenses on dash cams for years now, I doubt that you've ever seen or handled one of these varifocal lenses to understand exactly how heavy they are but a "counter-balance" would be an impractical and unworkable solution under any circumstances. I'm pleased to see that you acknowledge that a pothole might move the lens but you would indeed notice that the lens has shifted position and it wouldn't take something as severe as a pothole to make it happen.

As the guy who first introduced the concept of telephoto lenses on dash cams here on the forum six years ago, specifically with the use of this type of varifocal lens and who along with @TonyM and a stalwart group of other DCT members have been exploring and using these telephoto lenses (and others) for years, it's probably best to listen to people who have actual experience with them rather than from someone who merely offers opinions.

If I were installing a remote telephoto lens on the A139 Pro I would opt for one of the megapixel primary lenses that have already been discussed in this thread, available from AliExpress, either the 8MM or 12MM.

Last edited:
This is the one I used. For that big varifocal, you will need to drill out the camera front plastic cover to get it to clear the housing.

Good to know.

I'm still waiting for the interior camera to come in then I'll give it a go with the lens I have and document it if it works well for others. Otherwise I'll buy the one you linked and use it instead.

Definitely going to try it and give an update here as soon as the interior camera comes in. I'll keep this mind and try with and without a counterweight as Nigel suggested.

@TonyM is absolutely correct. A varifocal lens is not a wise choice for this installation because of its weight and size. It will likely get dislodged by bumps in the road and other shocks such as slamming your door shut or making abrupt stops. This lens will also be subject to image compromising micro-vibrations on all but the most pristine road surfaces. This varifocal lens is 45 millimeters long and weighs 34 grams and therein lies the problem. The rear camera module was never designed to support a lens of this size and weight. Additionally, in many installations a lens that long is very likely to hit the glass of your windshield and make the installation difficult or even impossible.

Nigel, considering that you've been railing against the use of telephoto lenses on dash cams for years now, I doubt that you've ever seen or handled one of these varifocal lenses to understand exactly how heavy they are but a "counter-balance" would be an impractical and unworkable solution under any circumstances. I'm pleased to see that you acknowledge that a pothole might move the lens but you would indeed notice that the lens has shifted position and it wouldn't take something as severe as a pothole to make it happen.

As they guy who first introduced the concept of telephoto lenses on dash cams here on the forum six years ago, specifically with the use of this type of varifocal lens and who along with @TonyM and a stalwart group of other DCT members have been exploring and using these telephoto lenses (and others) for years, it's probably best to listen to people who have actual experience with them rather than from someone who merely offers opinions.

If I were installing a remote telephoto lens on the A139 Pro I would opt for one of the megapixel primary lenses that have already been discussed in this thread, available from AliExpress, either the 8MM or 12MM.

Thank you for the detailed response. I responded to @TonyM before reading yours and told him I'd tried the counterweight idea that was suggested but just going to scrap that idea all together and get one of the primary lenses that you linked.

New to the forums and all this, so thanks for direction!

Thank you for the detailed response. I responded to @TonyM before reading yours and told him I'd tried the counterweight idea that was suggested but just going to scrap that idea all together and get one of the primary lenses that you linked.

New to the forums and all this, so thanks for direction!

If you are able to return the varifocal lens you bought on Amazon, I would do so as soon as possible. I sort of winced when I saw the link you posted as you paid more than twice what that same lens generally sells for on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832674624311.html?pdp_npi=3@dis!USD!US $13.90!US $13.90!!!!!@211b88f116895400887658597ee36c!65424328001!sh!US!0&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Yes, you have to wait about two or three weeks for shipments to arrive from China but I've been doing this for years and it's just part of the process. For me it's better than paying twice what the product is worth to get it in two days.
Of course, it is harder to return a product to China but the vendors members recommend here on the forum (like Treeye or Jetsun) are generally reliable and honest and you can expect to receive a high quality, well packaged product and decent customer service if there should be an issue.

Back