DDpai Mini 2

green_comet

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB100HD
Looks like DDpai have officially released their new Mini 2 dash cam, info can be found at the link below.

http://en.ddpai.com/mini2.php

I'm very interested to check this camera out, it seems to have similar specs to the M6 Plus with the addition of the better form factor imo and it running a capacitor setup instead of a battery like the M6 Plus.

Last edited:

I am really interested. However it takes from 15 to 30 days or more to get them to the US. Then if something is wrong it has to go back postage paid to the company. My understanding is the company (several different names) builds them on a "cottage industry" type deal and they go out to different named companies. That doesn't make me to happy.
I gathered the above information from different sources over the last few days, so treat it as hearsay.

Anyone knowing more, please let me know.

Apparently they're a startup that's owned by Huawei.

Last edited:
a lot of ex Huawei staff, don't think Huawei own them though
Ahh yeah, read that wrong. Sorry.

"We are a new high tech startup founded in early 2013 by senior engineers and marketing experts from Huawei Technologies. Our team of over 100 employees have created a range of progressive products including Car camcorders, Drone cameras, Wireless IP cams and Sports DV."

Really interested in this camera. I really like time lapse parking mode as implemented on the M6 plus - I sent them an e-mail to find out how parking mode works on the mini 2.

Only differences I see between this model and the M6 plus is the capacitor in the mini and no gps for the mini. Anything else I'm missing?

I'm interested in this camera too, as I really like that form factor a lot. After reading/watching the techmoan review on the M6+ I can see me getting one of these in the future if they turn out well.

I'm interested in this camera too, as I really like that form factor a lot. After reading/watching the techmoan review on the M6+ I can see me getting one of these in the future if they turn out well.
I agree. I want to look at the raw sample files from the M6+. I saw in the M6+ thread that it has a low bit rate (10), that I'm sure the Mini 2 has the same.
The other negative I see seems to be, like the Mini 1, the unit is permanently affixed to the mount, meaning once affixed to the windshield, can't be taken off easily. And of course there's the no local seller and no local support issue as well.

The one thing I remember about Huawei and their employees is a 60 Minutes piece a few years back.

Basically the US Congress accused them of being an arm owned by the Chinese military. I remember various levels of the US government being intent on having many of their products and several of their services completely banned from the US based on the theory that the company and many of the employees have far more nefarious intentions than offering shiny toys (espionage, control, attacks, etc.). One thing that stuck with me was how Huawei could tactically control, manipulate or shutdown a city/region/country where they provided end-to-end electronics or communications infrastructure, as they apparently already do in several developing countries. I think they were trying to bid for similar projects in various US states and small town communities as a way to infiltrate the US market when the US Congress stepped in.

Again, I just saw the piece, and though I have no idea if there's any truth to it, I admit CBS (and also CNET who wrote several massive pieces on the topic), convinced me enough to be very leery of their products. Of course, Huawei denies any wrongdoing.

Here is the 60 Minutes transcript: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/huawei-probed-for-security-espionage-risk/

Last edited:
Curiosity and the $100 price got the better of me and I ordered one. My intent is probably to use it as a rear cam and primary parking guard, as long as the parking guard works like the M6+. I'll report when I get it in 2 to 4 weeks, lol.

Thanks for the link, looks like the main complaint is dull color. Here's to hoping for a firmware update! If not, I'm good too, I knew I was taking a chance. Least I can do is review it for all on here.

Thanks for the link, looks like the main complaint is dull color. Here's to hoping for a firmware update! If not, I'm good too, I knew I was taking a chance. Least I can do is review it for all on here.

lifelike colours are a lot more pleasing to watch, but that doesn't always equal better results for dashcam use

Got an e-mail back from DDPai on the parking guard for the mini 2. Looks like it works just like the M6+ (and mini 1 for that matter):

"Then about parking mode, when the car was parked or keep still after 5 minutes, then it will go to parking mode, and if you open the "park guard" on DVR APP, the video will be recorded in Time Lamps mode, this is for saving power and saving SD card memory,
Mini 2 is need a vehicle hard wire kit to achieve parking mode,is it similar to the M6 PLUS utilizing Time Lapse.

if you have any question,pls feel free to let me know,

Best regards,
Jobby"

do you guys know where to order the new mini 2 ?

Back