LIVE VIEW THROUGH HDMI

Update: I have spoken to my boss and we are going to order it and try it out. I don't think there are many options. Many thanks at this point for the quick support. I will report if and how it worked out

IP network cameras sometimes have HDMI out on the camera, might be an option, but normally they have a narrower field of view than a dashcam, and that tends to make it look like you are driving too fast, so will scare the passengers!

IP cameras that work with the small NVRs I mentioned are available in a wide range of focal lengths as well as with zoom lenses, so that approach could work well for a dash cam proxy. Perhaps you are referring to all in one IP cameras where you get whatever lens is built into it?

they have a narrower field of view than a dashcam, and that tends to make it look like you are driving too fast, so will scare the passengers!

normally they have a narrower field of view than a dashcam, and that tends to make it look like you are driving too fast, so will scare the passengers!

Somehow, I initially just skipped over these comments of yours Nigel. As far as I know, you have no personal experience using telephoto lenses on dash cams, so I don't understand where such an idea comes from. You seem to be imagining a phenomenon that does not really exist.

As many here know, I have been using telephoto lenses on dash cams on a daily basis for almost 7 years now and I can categorically state that what you are saying is simply not true. There is no indication that telephoto dash cams make it look like you are driving any faster than with a normal dash cam. Speeds shot with a telephoto lens generally seem to reflect reality.

Perhaps when I get some time I might post some footage.

Hello, this post was written a few years ago but it is still relevant to me. Our company has coaches where the view to the front is transmitted to monitors in the coach via HDMI. Recording is not necessary. The original cameras are not yet commercially available, which is why we came up with the idea of using a dashcam. Overall, this seems to be a difficult issue.
Are there any current models available? I could no longer find the ones mentioned in the shops.
VIOFO will release a new camera that supports HDMI video out, the resolution is up to 4K.

And I found a solution to send live views on iPad without WiFi.

HDMI.jpg

Perhaps when I get some time I might post some footage.
Some footage with narrow roads and bends in the road please, telephoto lenses tend not to look too bad with USA roads because the roads are straight, wide and have traffic lights, so they simply move the view further forward, but JK_BR is in Germany, where he will have bends and roundabouts.

Some footage with narrow roads and bends in the road please, telephoto lenses tend not to look too bad with USA roads because the roads are straight, wide and have traffic lights, so they simply move the view further forward, but JK_BR is in Germany, where he will have bends and roundabouts.
We will be driving across Europe and not necessarily in urban areas. It's all about beautiful shots and a nice view to the front for the guests when we drive special routes (e.g. Scandinavia, Italy, etc.). Nevertheless, it won't be as big as in the USA :D

a nice view to the front for the guests when we drive special routes (e.g. Scandinavia, Italy, etc.).
Driving over the Alps while watching a telephoto lens will be like watching the onboard footage from James Bond driving in Switzerland... A few travel-sick passengers!

telephoto lenses tend not to look too bad with USA roads because the roads are straight, wide and have traffic lights, so they simply move the view further forward

During the almost ten years that I have known you on this forum, Nigel, you have continued to put forth imagined false stereotypes about the USA which most of us here find insulting and offensive. You seem to exist basically as some conspiracy theorist putting out one imagined false narrative about the USA after another. It is part and parcel with your regular and ongoing nation bashing towards the USA, as literally all the false stereotypes and narratives you put forth are negative to one degree or another, even this rather mundane one. One truly has to wonder how and where you get your notions about what things are really like in America (and other countries you've never visited that you tend to comment on as if what you have to say is factual). As I have often been compelled to point out to you the United States is an enormous and diverse country with countless different environments, road types, traffic conditions, climates, peoples, cultures, etc., etc. etc.

And to the case in point, despite your false stereotyping to the contrary, the USA has some of the most curvy, bendy, winding roads on the planet depending on where you happen to be!

Here is some old footage of a winding road I travel on a daily basis. There is not a straight stretch of road literally for many miles! Roads like this in mountainous parts of the country are fairly typical, especially here in northern New England.

And going back to your original imaginary and false comments, Nigel, NO! .......telephoto lenses on dash cams do not create any illusion that you are driving at speeds any faster than normal or seem any different than your rate of travel would appear in a video from a traditional dash cam with a typical lens focal length.

Again, as I've already pointed out you apparently have no personal hands-on experience using telephoto lenses on dash cams, so where do you come off making these sort of imaginary false pronouncements? You appear to simply be making things up.

Here is a typical telephoto dash camera video to have a look at. Does it appear as if my vehicle is traveling faster than the posted speed limits? NO!
Does watching the video make viewers feel sick or scared? NO!
Is the video shot on a winding, curvy road? Yes!

P.S. If I get some time today, perhaps I will update this footage with something more current.

thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad, but not quite as exciting as the Alps:

Not bad, but not quite as exciting as the Alps:

It wasn't meant to be exciting Nigel. It was meant to counter your false narratives. But your post here is merely intended as a distraction from everything I said in my previous post as you ignore all the points I've raised. It's rather sad really as it doesn't work; it just seems pathetic.

If you want Alps-like road conditions here in the USA, there are many interesting options for mountain driving to rival the Alps, like the Rocky Mountains, the San Juan Mountains, the Cascades, the Tetons, especially Grand Teton, the Olympic Mountains in Washington or the Brooks Range in Alaska, among others.

Again, you demonstrate your biased ignorance of the United States.

Last edited:
We received the camera today. We have connected it via an AV > HDMi converter, but it shows no picture

As soon as I unplug the AV plug, the picture is displayed on the mini monitor and I can change settings etc.

As soon as I plug it in, I can no longer do anything. The system in the BUS shows that something is plugged into the HDMi port but also says "no signal". I am at a bit of a loss as to how to get a live image from the camera. I can't even get a picture via the AV output in playback mode.

we have lowered all resolutions (also on the converter) and also checked the cables etc... nothing

One possible explanation might be whether or not you are using the correct AV cable to connect to the converter. Does it use a 3.5mm mini phone plug? Not all are the same as they are configured for different cable wiring set-ups such as video or audio.

One common error is to use a cable plug designed for audio when you need one made for AV connections. They can look very similar and even identical.

Sometimes the wrong cable "might" work for AV in one device such as your mini monitor but not another differently configured device such as the converter.

These examples may not correspond exactly with your specific situation but the photos show the concept I am trying to explain.

This could explain why "the BUS shows that something is plugged into the HDMi port but also says "no signal".

plugs.png

phone plugs.png
tge

Last edited:
Theoretically, it should work. The cable (new) is a special video + audio cable and the converter (new) is actually made for converting analog signals to digital. It is possible that one of the devices is not working, but I have no way of checking this. I have also tried to play back saved videos. As soon as I connect the AV cable, I can no longer do anything. Normally the picture should then appear.

The converter is this one. The phone support told me, that it should work :/

Attachments

• 1711381760109.jpg
    1711381760109.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1711381760123.jpg
    1711381760123.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 1711381760135.jpg
    1711381760135.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 3
It is possible that one of the devices is not working but it also seems like a connectivity issue.

Have you tried connecting everything to another device, like maybe a flat panel TV or a monitor that has an HDMI input? This might at least eliminate whether the video system in the BUS is the problem.

The video system in the bus works. We connected a laptop directly to the same HDMI connection and the result was flawless. I could of course drag a normal HDMI monitor there and connect it. However, I would like to test the picture before the converter. Unfortunately, I don't have a device for this.

It is of course possible that, as I said, a device is not working. I normally go through the error chain logically.

I normally go through the error chain logically.

That's of course, the best troubleshooting methodology and why I suggested trying the converter with something other than the bus, but you know the system on the bus is working.

I still theorize that there is some connectivity incompatibility, most likely between the camera and the converter but I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe some other DCT member might have some ideas?

That's of course, the best troubleshooting methodology and why I suggested trying the converter with something other than the bus, but you know the system on the bus is working.

I still theorize that there is some connectivity incompatibility, most likely between the camera and the converter but I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe some other DCT member might have some ideas?
My problem is simply time. In the end, I have to admit that it just doesn't work - for whatever reason. The bus has to leave soon and I don't see any way around it. I had also considered using a webcam instead of a dashcam, but that would result in a totally blurred picture. They are not designed to be stuck to the windshield in the vehicle, but to stand firmly in place.

Back