Memory card

Hmm Interesting, thanks for your response Phil. It looks like the G90 is very 'picky' at accepting TF cards.

Finally got my G90 and did a few tests. Generally everything (including day & night footages, suction cup, cables, etc.) works fine except for one issue: I kept getting 'Invalid' file in the playback mode.

The Issue:

The first approx 30mins of footage files are fine. Up to a certain point, all subsequent footages/photos are rendered invalid.
17801-5f502f4081a46b8960810c019612c7f9.jpg
17802-5c69bc2a6b53af0f3defb542a041dd36.jpg

When I check these files on my computer, they cannot be played despite the files hold the full weight (usually 356mb per 3min footage).

This, I suspect, is due to the memory card. I bought a Samsung EVO 64GB Class 10. I conducted a few tests to determine if the culprit is the TF card.
17800-19c8ed5a6b53410637c552cffa29a1f5.jpg

The Tests:

1. I first ran the G90 on my TF card with its original out-of-the-box format (NTFS), for about 40 mins non-stop. When checked back in playback mode, the first 30-35 mins worth of files had no issue. Then came 'Invalid' file for the remaining minutes.

2. After the first test, I re-formated my TF card to FAT32 using the FAT32 Formatter as recommended by @jokiin. Ran the 2nd test recording for another 40 minutes. Same thing happened again.

3. Disappointed, I then decided to just throw my Kingston 4GB class 4 in, ran another 30mins + recording, ironically, got no invalid file this time. I'm still running this test at the time of writing this post and it's been fine so far.

During the Tests, I press the 'Reset' button mutiple times but that diddn't help.

My Conclusions:

There are two possible reasons:
1. my G90 doesn't like 64Gb
2. My G90 doesn't like Samsung EVO brand TF card

Other considerations:
These are the considerations I thought may possibly link to the memory card issue, please take it with a grain of salt.
1. Limit of the number of files on the TF card: Due to the low storage space in my 3rd test, the files are overwritten more often so I'm not sure if the G90 had enough room to create enough files/footage for the 'Invalid File' to appear. Hope I make sense here. For example, assuming that it takes 18 working files on the 64Gb Samsung to generate the 'Invalid Files' subsequently, the 4Gb definitely isn't capable of storing 18 working files since they exceed 4GB, hence it won't store any invalid files. Not until I get a hold of the 64Gb Kingston card, I won't be able to deduce this possibility.
2. Firmware: G90-ZX-A730-1437-N7H. I suspect a firmware updated is needed?

Future Initiatives:
I've decided to purchase another Kingston 64Gb Class10 and will be determined to run the same tests again. I probably should have listened to your advice @jokiin..

Not sure if I missed out anything on the memory card configuration, or if this has occurred to anyone b4 me, I simply reported my situation for the sake of contribution. If anyone can help, I very much appreciate it :)

To be continued...

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG0653.jpg
    IMAG0653.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0654_101715_021555_PM.jpg
    IMAG0654_101715_021555_PM.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0655.jpg
    IMAG0655.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Try this. Do NOT read the files directly from the card in the card reader. Format the card in the G90 and then use it. When you have enough data to test it, put the card in the reader and immediately copy everything to your hard drive. Now test the data using your hard drive as the source.

Be interested to see if this fixes things.

Got my 64Gb Kingston card 2day, tested it straight away, after 60+ mins of consecutive recording, all the files are working fine and are readable on my PC. So I have come to the conclusion that my Samsung 64Gb card caused the issue.

If anyone is looking to buy a Samsung SD card for the G90, you'd rather avoid..

@Phil Wright, that doesn't work. The file is corrupted and unreadable regardless of what source it is being read from.

So I guess that concludes the issue I've had so far. If anything comes up, I'll update you guys :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
There is a long guaranty on most have these cards. Try returning the Samsung...

I used a Kingston 64GB microSD XC card in my G90-7S throughout, until the G90-7S expired!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DeLorean G90 17
S G90 7
Back