Overall video quality

That's true, even in my country.

I'm in the middle of the return process, the defective unit is on the way the Viofo (german address) and my new unit is on it's way (hopefully will arrive in 2022).

The Viofo Support and Service get an A++. My new unit arrived today, I did some testing in my flat and already noticed the whole image is much clearer, even in low light. I'll try to take some side-by-side videos (with my old A129) tomorrow.

I messed up the alignment of the A129, which is different. The A129 is still a little bit better with license plate reading, but the new cam is working like it should be (the right car was moving).

Still hoping for a good A139 Pro offer, some day :cool:

BTW: The GPS Sensor of the A229 really sucks, it takes forever to find a satellite and look at the speed text in the screencaps, - A129 -> 0 km/h (y); A229 still going down from 50 km/h (n)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2022-12-22-19h21m17s694.png
    vlcsnap-2022-12-22-19h21m17s694.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • vlcsnap-2022-12-22-19h21m42s367.png
    vlcsnap-2022-12-22-19h21m42s367.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
I messed up the alignment of the A129, which is different. The A129 is still a little bit better with license plate reading, but the new cam is working like it should be (the right car was moving).

Still hoping for a good A139 Pro offer, some day :cool:

BTW: The GPS Sensor of the A229 really sucks, it takes forever to find a satellite and look at the speed text in the screencaps, - A129 -> 0 km/h (y); A229 still going down from 50 km/h (n)

a229 pic the Ford Transit on the right license plate it is blurry. My a229 does the same day and night even at low speeds. Older models like a129 and a119 v3 have better performance.

Today I pulled the SD cards of both dashcams.

Screencaps A129 on the left, A229 on the right:

Just check these two images out @viofo , @VIOFO-Support

I am facing the same exact problem. How is it possible having two same sensors in two different dashcams, one is working okay whereas other one is highly overexposed? Both of these dashcams don't have HDR.

I don't think the problem was with this user's headlight.
Your A229 is performing as advertised.
Was this one working normal too?
Your expectations of the A229 are unreasonable.
-Chuck
Are they?
No need to compare the A229 with the A119 line, compare it with the A129.
Here Sir, I compare it with A129. See the images quoted above. Same exact issue which I face.

@Batish Grab some footage and contact the support, my unit was replaced because the focus wasn't right and the image at night (especially with modern led light) was rubbish. The replacement unit was much better.

Grab some footage and contact the support,
Here is the footage:

Does yours too performs this awfully at night?
my unit was replaced because the focus wasn't right and the image at night (especially with modern led light) was rubbish. The replacement unit was much better.
Does the replacement one able to read plates at night while stationary? Check the videos above. You'll get an idea of what I am saying. Mine are not even LED or HIDs. They are stock halogens.

Yes, quality was improved, just check out my images above. But I already sold the camera and got a A139 Pro - I'm happy now

Since installing my A229 a couple of months back I haven't really looked at video quality. I'm getting a new car tomorrow so removed it today. I've had a watch of some footage and I'm quite disappointed. I think my A129 (which i moved to my wife's car) may actually be better. up close seems ok, but once in the middle distance the quality is awful and registration plates are not readable.

Here is the footage:

Does yours too performs this awfully at night?

Does the replacement one able to read plates at night while stationary? Check the videos above. You'll get an idea of what I am saying. Mine are not even LED or HIDs. They are stock halogens.
Maybe I don’t understand something, but why does HDR appear on the video?
A229 never had HDR and Viofo never promised to add it to this model.
Why write HDR on video and mislead people? :unsure:
A229 can't have a problem with HDR because he doesn't know what it is.

I've put my camera in my new car, updated the firmware and set video bitrate to maximum. I will give it few days and then test the footage.

Hey,

I ordered my A229 in June and using it since July. My prior Dashcam was a A129 Plus (the first model). I mainly ordered the camera because of the thin cable for the rear dashcam and of course the better video quality / higher resolution.
In the shot the dominates sky over the horizon, this impairs proper exposure of what we are interested in on the road and surroundings. Personally, I would recommend pointing the camera lower so that the sky is less than halfway through the frame. And even though the hood and dashboard will be at the bottom of the image

Sunny weather might be a problem at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind and a brick building shouldn't be a problem to find.
So far in this thread I haven't found any mention of how the bitrate is set ?

the note is intended as a courtesy to the author of this thread

I have some really bad quality footage from this dashcam. Sometimes you can't even read big signs. Updated to the lasted FW. I had this issue since the beginning but I thought it may be a FW issue.

vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h41m42s905.png

vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h41m06s062.png

vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h40m23s941.png

vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h40m10s495.png

I have some really bad quality footage from this dashcam. Sometimes you can't even read big signs. Updated to the lasted FW. I had this issue since the beginning but I thought it may be a FW issue.

Your camera appears to have a focus problem. Even the hood of your vehicle seems out of focus so the problem is not motion blur. I would suggest contacting @VIOFO-Support and sending them some footage and screen shots for evaluation.

Last edited:
The camera has problems focusing.
Plus, glare throughout the frame degrades the video quality.
As written above: Contact technical support.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D A229 / A229 Duo 4
Back