Unable To Update from Ver. 2.06 to 3.4

Skeezix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
I've spend over 2 hours trying to update my A119 from version 2.06 to version 3.4 without success. Prior to that I have been using the A119 since February 2017 with no problems. Nothing I did resulted in a successful update. Here are the last things I did in the order I did them:

1. I removed the 16GB card from the powered-off A119 and reformatted (full format, not the quick format) it on the computer to FAT32.

2. I copied LDBA119.bin that I downloaded in August 2017 to the card and then placed card back into my powered-off A119.

3. I connected the A119 to a USB power source (115VAC to 5V@1.0 amp). The A119 green LED and the REC LEDs came on, then the green LED when off and the unit began to record.

4. I pressed REC to stop the recording, and then pressed MENU. The menu appeared.

5. I pressed MIC to scroll down and the unit immediately powered off and back on again.

6. I repeated the previous steps several times, sometimes pressing the MIC and sometimes the REC buttons but the unit kept restarting so I removed the A119 from the USB power source.

7. I removed the 16GB card from the A119 and inserted it into the computer. The LDBA119 file was still there along with a Movie folder with 315KB movie in it.

8. I deleted the LDBA119 file and Movie folder, copied the FWBA119 file (version 3.4) to the card and then placed the card back into the A119.

9. I connected the A119 to the USB power source. This time the green LED did not come on but the REC LED came on and the unit began recording. I pressed REC to stop the recording and when I pressed the MENU button the unit shut off and then went into its off-record-off cycle.

10. I then connected the A119 to my car's USB connector and turned on the key. The unit powered up and began recording. I could operate the buttons and the unit would not recycle itself as it did from the previous USB power source.

When I looked at the firmware version, the A119 stated that it had version 2.06 installed. So I'm right back where I started from and cannot figure out why the A119 will not update.

Any help or insight here would be greatly appreciated.

try to update a firmware in a car. copy the latest firmware file onto a card without any extra formatting and start a camera in a car. during upgrade you should see short and long REC button blinks, wait until the camera reboots and starts recording. the upgrade process takes under 10-15sec.

I tried that after reading your suggestion. I did not see the REC button blink first a short and then a long time. It just stays on. And when I checked the firmware revision, it read "2.06".
And the FW file was still on the A119.

depending on what verision firmware you're on now you may need to update the loader prior to running the firmware update, you could give that a try, it's available for download from the Viofo website

Are you copying the .bin file to the root directory of the card (not in any folders)?

My A119 is currently using version 2.06.

Yes, I tried using LDBA119 but I don't think that "took". I did copy that file to the root of the chip (see my Step 2 above).

I'm using Windows 10 Build 12699 (Dec. 2017). More info:

When I format the card and copy the LD file to the card's root, I disconnect the A119 and then reconnect it. Both the green LED behind the power button and the red LED behind the REC button flash, then I get a Mass Storage display.

When I then copy the FW file to the A119 and delete the LD file, and then disconnect and reconnect the A119 to the computer (or to the car), the red LED behind the REC button turns on but does not flash. The green LED also does not flash. And if I look at the firmware version displayed on the A119 it still says 2.06. So something inside the camera must be preventing the update from happening, I just don't know what it is.

And I tried it using a Windows Vista computer with the same results = no update.

Last edited:
Ideally you'd want to use a card reader to transfer the .bin file and don't connect it to the computer for the upgrade process, use a wall charger.

When I format the card and copy the LD file to the card's root, I disconnect the A119 and then reconnect it. Both the green LED behind the power button and the red LED behind the REC button flash, then I get a Mass Storage display.

When I then copy the FW file to the A119 and delete the LD file, and then disconnect and reconnect the A119 to the computer (or to the car), the red LED behind the REC button turns on but does not flash. The green LED also does not flash. And if I look at the firmware version displayed on the A119 it still says 2.06. So something inside the camera must be preventing the update from happening, I just don't know what it is.

And I tried it using a Windows Vista computer with the same results = no update.
re-download the loader and firmware update files and do it again, at home.
verify, that your .bin file copied onto a card as a .bin file, not .bin.txt. Windows OS may hide the actual extension .bin for security reasons while displaying for you .bin.
for the actual upgrade connect the camera to a wall USB charger or a phone charger.
there are two kind of USB cables: "power only" and "power + data". to copy a file onto a camera while connected to a PC you need a "power + data" cable, to update the loader/firmware while connected to a PC you need "power only" cable, otherwise the camera instead of the update will go into a "mass storage" mode which you don't want, and that's why I suggested to update the firmware in a car - to operate (record or loader/firmware update) the camera needs only a power from either cable - "power only" or "power + data". :)

did you extract the zip file to a folder and then copy the bin file?

if you double click a zip file Windows will open the file but if you copy the bin file from there it won't work for the update, you have to extract the zip file first

Ideally you'd want to use a card reader to transfer the .bin file and don't connect it to the computer for the upgrade process, use a wall charger.
I thought that's what I did. Please see Steps 8 and 9 in my original post.

I thought that's what I did. Please see Steps 8 and 9 in my original post.
try to load some earlier firmware version.
what loop time do you have set?

Okay, I was finally able to update the firmware from 2.06 to 3.4 after I followed Borik's suggestion and downloaded the files again.

I think the problem was at Step 9 in my original post. The power supply I was using during Step probably only had +V and Gnd for outputs and did not have the Data + and Data - outputs :mad:.

In any event, I documented the process and am attaching it to this post as a PDF.

I would like to thank everybody who replied to me! :)

Attachments

• Updating A119 Firmware.pdf
    247.7 KB · Views: 17
Okay, I was finally able to update the firmware from 2.06 to 3.4 after I followed Borik's suggestion and downloaded the files again.
I would like to thank everybody who replied to me! :)
good.gif

:)

Follow Viofo's Instructions.
http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware

Steps 1,2 & 7. Skip 3-6 since v2.0 or later.
  1. Use max. 32GB card formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32
  2. Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable
    7. Copy the FWBA119.bin file on the root of the card

Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front red LED will be blinking while upgrading.

Now you can disconnect the camera from PC and enjoy new A119 implementations.

Mass Storage mode is automatic on the A119. If you use the short USB cable and plug into a computer, you will automatically go into Mass Storage Mode. Always best to use a USB charger (phone charger) or the car charger during the update.

The procedure doesn't say that at all. The computer provides the power during the update.

although it doesn't say it in their procedure it is a better option, (or use the car charger), computer USB ports can cause some issues

Back