VIOFO A119 Mini 2 - Test and Review RCG

Have you noticed that the a119 mini 2 uses variable bitrate?
No and yes.

Daytime, no HDR.
It barely fluctuates for me, so if it is VBR, it is only a range of 100-200 kbps. Stays at high bitrate even when not moving.

2560x1080 60fps 30.3 Mb/s
2560x1440 60fps 26.6 Mb/s

But, at night, HDR ON, yes, i see via live stats in MPV, the bitrate drops when there is no movement, seen as low as 9,000 kbps

No and yes.

Daytime, no HDR.
It barely fluctuates for me, so if it is VBR, it is only a range of 100-200 kbps. Stays at high bitrate even when not moving.

2560x1080 60fps 30.3 Mb/s
2560x1440 60fps 26.6 Mb/s

But, at night, HDR ON, yes, i see via live stats in MPV, the bitrate drops when there is no movement, seen as low as 9,000 kbps
It operates at almost full capacity during the day. At night, when there are more black areas, the bitrate decreases because there is less work in those parts.
For the A119 mini 2, HDR is my preferred all-day setting.

Last edited:
For the A119 mini, HDR is my preferred all-day setting.
That is not what is recommend by VIOFO or most everyone here. HDR is for at night. It hurts image quality during the day.
It gave me much worse results in low light conditions than non HDR....

But, you do you. They give you the settings, use what you prefer.

That is not what is recommend by VIOFO or most everyone here. HDR is for at night. It hurts image quality during the day.
It gave me much worse results in low light conditions than non HDR....

But, you do you. They give you the settings, use what you prefer.
For Starvis 1, yes, definitely HDR should only be used at night. Starvis 2 is fine day and night.

Reactions: Mtz
For Starvis 1, yes, definitely HDR should only be used at night. Starvis 2 is fine day and night.
That is not what was said in the thread i made comparing the A110 Mini 2 to my old A119 v1 and my results of HDR on made things looks very grainy and poor looking when not fully dark out.

Though, i have seen review footage with HDR on during the day, it looks fine, but compare side by side, and HDR off is always better. Clearer, sharper, brighter.
Seen times when HDR during day makes things too dark.

Reactions: Mtz
@rcg530 @Panzer Platform @viofo @VIOFO-Support

It is not stable, especially when looking at the file sizes of illuminated and unlit road records in the evening. This is a good thing in terms of saving memory space.

Recently, there was color variability in 2 images taken from the video. So the shade of red was changing. Variable bitrate may have affected this situation.

Finally, is there any data on which cameras are currently tested, especially in road recordings with variable light at night, which are fixed bitrate and which cameras are variable?

Apart from the high, medium and low bitrate options in the camera settings, what is an idea to make the bitrate value selectable as fixed or variable in the menu in order to optimize memory?
The memory card with high capacity can get maximum benefit by choosing fixed bitrate, and the one with low capacity can get maximum benefit by choosing variable bitrate.
If you set the resolution to 2560x1080 30fps you will have a stable bitrate both day and night.

If you set the resolution to 2560x1080 30fps you will have a stable bitrate both day and night.
I can't try right now. Does the fixed bit work when HDR is turned off? When I use 2k 30fps 16:9 resolution HDR active, the video file size decreases at night.

I can't try right now. Does the fixed bit work when HDR is turned off? When I use 2k 30fps 16:9 resolution HDR active, the video file size decreases at night.
With a resolution of 2560x1440 30fps, Mini and Mini 2 do not have a fixed bitrate.
Viofo or Viofo-Support wrote about this.

Yes.
When setting the camera for 1 Minute Loop Recording I have seen files size vary from 237 MB to 30 MB, (using HIGH Bitrate setting) based on different lighting conditions.
Both Variable / Dynamic & Constant / Fixed bitrate have their Pros & Cons.
Based on my experience I prefer Fixed / Constant because I find it to be more reliable / predictable.

is there any data on which cameras are currently tested, especially in road recordings with variable light at night, which are fixed bitrate and which cameras are variable?
No.
Off the top of my head the;
A139 Pro
A229 Pro
A229 Plus
A229 Duo
are all fixed / constant bitrate, however this may change at anytime with a firmware update.
I was informed by Viofo the A119 Mini 2 was supposed to receive a firmware update to make it fixed / constant bitrate.

Apart from the high, medium and low bitrate options in the camera settings, what is an idea to make the bitrate value selectable as fixed or variable in the menu in order to optimize memory?
I don’t know.

A229 Duo on the first firmware had a variable bitrate, but in subsequent firmware it received a constant bitrate.
Bitrate.jpg

Last edited:
Yes.
When setting the camera for 1 Minute Loop Recording I have seen files size vary from 237 MB to 30 MB, (using HIGH Bitrate setting) based on different lighting conditions.
Both Variable / Dynamic & Constant / Fixed bitrate have their Pros & Cons.
Based on my experience I prefer Fixed / Constant because I find it to be more reliable / predictable.

No.
Off the top of my head the;
A139 Pro
A229 Pro
A229 Plus
A229 Duo
are all fixed / constant bitrate, however this may change at anytime with a firmware update.
I was informed by Viofo the A119 Mini 2 was supposed to receive a firmware update to make it fixed / constant bitrate.

I don’t know.
Since the bit value decreases in a119 mini 2 night videos, this extends the cycle interval on the memory card with a slightly positive effect.

On a very bright day, when I looked at the bit values of 2 files for the a119 mini2, one was 30.3 and the other was 28.5. I waited at traffic lights while watching a low bitrate video. This means that the bit value automatically decreases as there is no movement.

In my opinion, since the main purpose of the variable bit value is temperature control, it only saves data since it will not be exposed to direct sunlight at night. It already uses the full performance bit value during the day and the sun is high.

So, in summary, I think it would be better if there was a menu where variable bit and fixed bit values can be selected. @VIOFO-Support @viofo

How Can You Tell - If Your A119 Mini 2 Has The Updated Lens

I get this question frequently and so far I've not been able to identify a way to see if the A119 Mini 2 has the original lens or the updated lens. I no longer have the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the original lens. VIOFO requested I send those two units back to them for their investigation on the heat defocusing issue. I took a good look at the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras that now I have installed in my car. I looked very closely at the front lens area and I did in fact find a "difference". I compared the updated lens with the original lens (in my unboxing pics) and there is a noticeable difference. The ring/bezel around the lens glass appears to have a different shape between the original lens and the updated lens. The exposure level of level of my unboxing pic was a bit dark, so I asked @Panzer Platform to take a picture of his A119 Mini 2 with the original lens. His picture and my picture show the same shape to the ring/bezel around the lens glass.

My unboxing picture of the A119 Mini 2 with the original lens:

View attachment 68180

Panzer Platform's picture of his A119 Mini 2 with the original lens:

View attachment 68181
If you look closely at either of those two pictures of the original lens, you'll see a flat spot at the outer edge of the ring/bezel and then there is a very slight taper running down towards the lens glass. If you look at my picture of the A119 Mini 2 with the updated lens, you'll see a very thin outer ring and then the remaining portion of the ring/bezel has a far more angled taper as it goes towards the lens glass.

View attachment 68182

My unofficial way to see of your A119 Mini 2 has the updated lens is:
  • If you purchased/received your A119 Mini 2 before July 2023, then it will not have the updated lens.
    • VIOFO has stated the production change to the A119 Mini 2 lens took place in July 2023.
  • Using the pictures to compare to your A119 Mini 2
    • Unless there was some other reason for VIOFO to vary the ring/bezel around the lens glass:
      • If your A119 Mini 2's lens has the ring/bezel I show in my picture of the unit with the updated lens, your A119 Mini 2 has the updated lens
      • If your A119 Mini 2's lens has the ring/bezel I show in my picture of the original lens, your A119 Mini 2 does not have the updated lens
  • You could also contact VIOFO and submit a support ticket asking them if your A119 Mini 2 has the updated lens.
If you want to know what the ring/bezel around the lens glass of the previous generation A119 Mini (not the Mini 2) looks like, here's a picture of that one. Its ring/bezel is completely flat.

View attachment 68183
Has anyone been able to ask Viofo to exchange their pre-July 2023 Viofo Mini 2 for one with an updated lens design? I would like to try this. I purchased my Viofo Mini 2 in early July (so likely there was still old stock), and my lens is the older design. The focus at high temps certainly isn't as sharp as it could be.

I purchased my Viofo Mini 2 in early July (so likely there was still old stock), and my lens is the older design. The focus at high temps certainly isn't as sharp as it could be.
Contact Viofo support. Provide them with material that your model is not working as it should and you have a chance to get a new model.
The warranty on your copy has not yet expired.

VIOFO has writen me that it is only possible to get a new mini2 if you can show the problems with original photo-/videolinks.

Back