XiaoMi Yi dashcam focus problems

Fw can be updated via WiFi app also.
I updated it to V-0.08.012 2016-04-15, which is not on the site.
They introduced a stanby-clock on the display, like a screensaver, it is nice.
However, another bad surprise: even the LCD display is affected by heating.
After 1 hour driving, the LCD became milky, half of the LCD columns were gone, you can barely see the image.
After 10 minutes rest, it cooled down and returned to normal.

Fw can be updated via WiFi app also.
I updated it to V-0.08.012 2016-04-15, which is not on the site.
They introduced a stanby-clock on the display, like a screensaver, it is nice.
After 1 hour driving, the LCD became milky, half of the LCD columns were gone, you can barely see the image.
next time, when it happens. May you try to take a picture of this ?

the risk you take when you buy into the first version of a product I guess

It is in tests right now. Turned it on half an hour ago, it is in the office, on the window filming outside. The LCD started to go white. But it is not suddenly, it is slowly turning white, I guess while it is heating.
It looks like half of the pixels are going off and the other half are turning brighter, alternating. I'll let it another half an hour and post some pictures.

Please edit the privacy setting to unlisted or something else so we can also watch it. Now it's private :D

Dear DCT memebers,

I'm Sami luo from YI technology company, I'm responsible for social media as well as forums in company. Sorry about the late reply!
Actually we have an official English forum: http://forum.xiaoyi.com/ you guys can talk every problems directly here so I can respond very fast (normally several hours)
Or leave comments on our official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/YiCameraOfficial
Or you can contact me directly: sami.luo@xiaoyi.com

And let's get back to the issue. I've forwarded all the focusing/LCD screen problem becoz of over heating to our engineers to investigate before and we did some optimization to the inner structure, also about the lens. It would be no problem at all working in normal temperature. As I guess most of users got the Chinese version in this forum? (Because our official international version just available yesterday https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01C89GCHU), you can try to contact the seller to refund or resend international one, but currently only Geekbuying is the authorized one to sell international version from China (gearbest, banggood etc they are "illegal").

Sure we'll not use "good for its price" as an excuse and we'll push to the limit to provide the best user-experience product to you, at the same time we strongly suggest to buy international version from our official amazon store: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01C89GCHU as the app may get blocked becoz of different servers, and it can't be firmware updated from Chinese version to international one.

Any problems just let me know

Kind regards
Sami

Hi Sami,

Many of my friends also are interested into buying this camera. But after all the issues encountered by me and others in the DCT community I really don't know if to recommend that they should get the international version or not. You guys made any hardware changes to that?
I presume there is only a matter of time until some DCT member gets a new version and takes it apart. So we'll find out eventually. We're quite resourceful when it comes to these things :D

Dear DCT memebers,

I've forwarded all the focusing/LCD screen problem becoz of over heating to our engineers to investigate before and we did some optimization to the inner structure, also about the lens. It would be no problem at all working in normal temperature.
Kind regards
Sami

Then my question is: does the international version on Amazon contain the same hardware as the Chinese version? If so, when can we expect an updated version of the International Yi Dash Cam with the heat, LCD, and focus issue solved?

Hi Sami,

Many of my friends also are interested into buying this camera. But after all the issues encountered by me and others in the DCT community I really don't know if to recommend that they should get the international version or not. You guys made any hardware changes to that?
I presume there is only a matter of time until some DCT member gets a new version and takes it apart. So we'll find out eventually. We're quite resourceful when it comes to these things :D
Very slightly change to the inner structure, but have to know in those extreme high temperatures no machine can stand it right. In normal condition it should be no problem, thanks

Dear Sami,

There are NO extreme high temperatures!
The camera is used in normal conditions, even low temperatures I would say.
Yesterday I tested it in my office, room temperature=22 deg. Celsius.
Today there are 15 deg. outside, cold and raining. The issue is still there.
It is the heat inside the camera the problem.
And I would not say the camera is overheating, it feels worm but not hot after 1 hour working.
For comparison, GoPro heat up when recording so after 1 hour you cannot keep your hand on it! That is heating! And still there is no change in picture quality.
In conclusion, the camera is heating normally but the optical and/or electronics inside are affected.
How did you tested this camera? You never let it run for more than 5 minutes?
I am sure the chinese people that bought this camera face these issues too, but I presume they are used to NOT complain about anything, wright?

and, BTW, is there a Novatek chipset inside, rebranded as Yi A12 ? Please be honest.

Reactions: Mtz
Dear Sami,

And I would not say the camera is overheating, it feels worm but not hot after 1 hour working.
For comparison, GoPro heat up when recording so after 1 hour you cannot keep your hand on it! That is heating! And still there is no change in picture quality.
In conclusion, the camera is heating normally but the optical and/or electronics inside are affected.
I am sure the chinese people that bought this camera face these issues too, but I presume they are used to NOT complain about anything, wright?

and, BTW, is there a Novatek chipset inside, rebranded as Yi A12 ? Please be honest.
We received some reports about this before here in China but not recently. We optimized inside :)

Dear Sami,

And dear tiz, we never declare our chipset is A12, Novatek customised the chipset for YI company independently, thanks

Back